News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Posting images

Started by DinoToyForum, March 25, 2012, 06:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

To include an image in your message, first you need to upload it onto the web somewhere else, so that it has a permanent location (web address or URL). There are plenty of free image hosts that you can use, such as https://flickr.com, and our members will undoubtedly list other recommended hosts in replies to this post  :D

First, locate and 'copy' the image file web address (=URL). The URL of the image must begin with "https://" (or "http://") and end with the image file name, typically ".jpg". A common mistake people make is to accidentally copy the URL of the web page the image is on, instead of the image URL itself.

To place the image in your forum message when you're composing it, click the 'Insert an Image" button (the picture frame icon with a small + symbol). That will open a field that says "URL", as well as fields that say "Width (optional)" and "Height (optional)"). 'Paste' (or manually type out) the URL into the URL field, and click "Insert". (You can leave the width and height fields blank). And that'll do it.

This inserts the URL and some simple bbcode tags into your post as follows (but without the spaces) [ i m g ] https://example--image-URL.jpg [ / i m g ]. When you post your forum message this will display the image.

Note, you don't necessarily need to use the 'Insert an Image' if you're familiar with bbcode. You can just manually type the code instead, and place the full URL of the image between the two bracketed pieces of code. Again, like so (but without the spaces):

[ i m g ] https://example--image-URL.jpg [ / i m g ]

Here is a video tutorial I created, but this might be out of date now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_cOvTjv_g8

Images can also be uploaded to the forum as attachments, so for occassional images this is an option, but there is only limited space on the dinotoyblog.com server so this option is not recommended for large portfolios.

EDIT - 7th July 2017. Avoid Photobucket. They used to be a popular image host but the service is now spam-laden, slow, difficult to use, and charge a fee for third party hosting. Mosr images hosted by Photobucket are therefore no longer visible on the dinotoyforum.

Edited 7th March 2024 to update instructions to match updated forum software.

DinoToyForum

On the topic of image hosts, I'm not in a good position to make suggestions, because I host my images myself. Suggestions would therefore be welcome for free services.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I personally use Deviantart.com if your the actual artist of the pics your posting and I also use Facebook to host photos as well as videos ( they will automatically re-size files to a smaller manageable size ) and larger files on Photobucket.  All of those are free to sign up and use.

Joel

I've talked to people about posting images, and it seems that their trouble stems from being unable to view the raw URL of the image. To do this with Internet Explorer, you must move your mouse over the image, and right click and a menu will open. Highlight and click on properties,

and a new screen will open.

Highlight the address/URL section as shown above, and copy. That's your raw URL that you need to place between the [ img ] [ /img ] tags that everyone keeps talking about.

Now, if you have Firefox, the process is must easier. Move your mouse over the picture and right click, and different menu will appear:

The first option is "view image", so click on that and the picture will be displayed on your monitor with the raw URL in the address bar:

Copy the URL in the address bar, then follow the instructions in the above post. If you have Google Chrome, the process to post pictures is similar to Firefox. If you have a different internet browser, let us know and we'll try to help.

DinoToyForum

Thanks for the very handy guide Joel.

In my browser of choice, Safari (I just can't get away from dinosaur toy companies), there's an option to 'open image in new window' in the right click drop-down menu (basically the same as Firefox).

Tylosaurus

I have Firefox 11.0 an d I just copy the image location of the large url and the small one and use the basic HTML code to host my image :)
By right clicking the main image with Firefox it gives you the option copy from image location, this way you literally copy the location url of the main picture to your post. An example :)
The Main picture is the big photo orsay the original sized picture and the Secondary is the resized thumbnail or picture depending how big you make it, I'd say no larger than 800 x 600 :)

Here the Url's I am about to use :)

Main picture
http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/43193-1/Replaced+Torosaurus+_+working+Fusion+Cannons.jpg

Secondary Picture:
http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/43195-2/Replaced+Torosaurus+_+working+Fusion+Cannons.jpg

the code I use is the following:

So this would be the result of my Dino-Riders Torosaurus firing it's Fusion Cannons 8)

Click to Get the full size picture  8)

stemturtle

Quote from: Tylosaurus on March 25, 2012, 08:41:34 PM
I have Firefox 11.0 an d I just copy the image location of the large url and the small one and use the basic HTML code to host my image :)
By right clicking the main image with Firefox it gives you the option copy from image location, this way you literally copy the location url of the main picture to your post. An example :)
The Main picture is the big photo orsay the original sized picture and the Secondary is the resized thumbnail or picture depending how big you make it, I'd say no larger than 800 x 600 :)

Here the Url's I am about to use :)

Main picture
http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/43193-1/Replaced+Torosaurus+_+working+Fusion+Cannons.jpg

Secondary Picture:
http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/43195-2/Replaced+Torosaurus+_+working+Fusion+Cannons.jpg

the code I use is the following:

Thanks for the code to enlarge an image, Tylosaurus.  Enlargement will be valuable for group shots of collections.  I tried it out on my signature.  I added [img] in front of secondary picture in your code.
Is trial-and-error clicking the only way to find out if an image size will enlarge?

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

DinoToyForum

The forum automatically resizes large images into clickable 800px wide images, that can expand to the original image size (but only in the post window).

Tylosaurus

@ stemturtle

I made a typo as usual  *orthocone*

The code should be like this :)

but for your sig just use:

Like the admin said the forum will auto resize anything larger that 800 pixels wide.

Joel

Seijun

Joel:
In your examples, you could also have clicked "direct link" in photobucket's "links" widget (on the right). That will automatically copy the raw url of the image with just a single click. This is the main reason I like photobucket for storing images.
In firefox, instead of clicking "view image", you can also click "copy image location".  This will automatically copy the image's raw url (saving you a step). In Chrome, you can right click the image and select "copy img url" which does the same thing.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Joel

Quote from: Seijun on March 27, 2012, 09:43:32 PM
Joel:
In your examples, you could also have clicked "direct link" in photobucket's "links" widget (on the right). That will automatically copy the raw url of the image with just a single click. This is the main reason I like photobucket for storing images.
In firefox, instead of clicking "view image", you can also click "copy image location".  This will automatically copy the image's raw url (saving you a step). In Chrome, you can right click the image and select "copy img url" which does the same thing.
Well, that certainly makes things far less tedious! Thanks, Seijun! If anyone needs pictures to illustrate what Seijun is describing, let me know and I'll post some.

Metallisuchus

I'm trying to post some pics, and since I'm using my brand new Photobucket account, and have Firefox as a browser, I followed Joel & DinoToyForum's instructions precisely, but I'm getting a "problem loading page" message.

I'm trying to add 4 photos at once, each about 2.29MB's.

Can any of you steer me in the right direction here?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Metallisuchus on April 29, 2012, 07:19:45 PM
I'm trying to post some pics, and since I'm using my brand new Photobucket account, and have Firefox as a browser, I followed Joel & DinoToyForum's instructions precisely, but I'm getting a "problem loading page" message.

I'm trying to add 4 photos at once, each about 2.29MB's.

Can any of you steer me in the right direction here?

It could be that the size of the images is too large, but if they are hosted externally on photobucket, that shouldn't matter. Please can you post the url for one of the images here?

DinoToyForum

Metallisuchus

I did that, but it didn't work. Does this have anything to do with my computer/internet settings?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Metallisuchus on April 29, 2012, 07:42:36 PM
I did that, but it didn't work. Does this have anything to do with my computer/internet settings?

It shouldn't. Try again with your post, and if it still doesn't work, just include the urls. Then, I can go into your post and see if I can get it to work.  :)

Metallisuchus

Thanks! I don't know why it worked this time and not last time, but there it is... It's in the "Recent Acquisitions" thread if you'd like to see the other 3 photos. Brilliant piece, though the blood on the Triceratops wound is a little too bright.

Thanks again!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Metallisuchus on April 29, 2012, 07:56:18 PM
Thanks! I don't know why it worked this time and not last time, but there it is... It's in the "Recent Acquisitions" thread if you'd like to see the other 3 photos. Brilliant piece, though the blood on the Triceratops wound is a little too bright.

Thanks again!

No problem, glad you got it sorted 8)  C:-)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.