News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Book recommendations

Started by DinoToyForum, March 26, 2012, 02:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontosauruschuck

For some reason Goodreads lists this book as The Fantastic Journey of Padma and the Bluethingosaurus.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39852671-the-fantastic-journey-of-padma-and-bluethingosaurus

Halichoeres

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on August 18, 2019, 01:50:02 AM
For some reason Goodreads lists this book as The Fantastic Journey of Padma and the Bluethingosaurus.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39852671-the-fantastic-journey-of-padma-and-bluethingosaurus

Maybe that's a UK or Indian edition? I'd guess avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) @Stuckasaurus has the US edition.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 18, 2019, 05:54:15 PM

Maybe that's a UK or Indian edition? I'd guess avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) @Stuckasaurus has the US edition.

Huh, interesting. I actually got my copy directly from the author herself, so I'm not sure where the difference comes from. "Bluethingosaurus" is the nickname Padma comes up with for the little blue Isisaurus she befriends, incidentally.

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on August 19, 2019, 03:26:49 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 18, 2019, 05:54:15 PM

Huh, interesting. I actually got my copy directly from the author herself, so I'm not sure where the difference comes from. "Bluethingosaurus" is the nickname Padma comes up with for the little blue Isisaurus she befriends, incidentally.

I note that the thumbnail of the book's cover in the link you shared has the correct book title, which makes the difference even more bizarre.

Libraraptor

https://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/2012/05/vintage-dinosaur-art-prehistoric.html?m=1
Have a look at this one, reviewed by avatar_Horridus @Horridus on his blog. This boon is nearly vintage, quirky as hell and sometimed unvoluntarily funny. All this makes it a perfect new book for my book collection!

Libraraptor

I am through with "Naturalist" by E.O. Wilson, a damn good read!
Now I am on page 112 of Michael Novacek´s "Dinosaurs of the Flaming Cliffs", which sucked me in due to its vividness. One thinks one is among them, kneeling over Protoceratops skulls in the beginning nineties.
I got myself a package of eleven used books last week - many English among them such as "The Riddle of the Dinosaur" by John N. Wilford and "Dinosaurs, Spitfires & Sea Dragons"by Christopher McGowan.  And I manage to read concentrated thanks to the much time I have got.

Libraraptor

Although it is a bit lenghty sometimes - due to things we prehistory nerds consider as matters of course -  I can recommend Brian Switek "My Beloved Brontosaurus"!

postsaurischian

:)  I know it's another children's book, but I like the cover art of this upcoming release a lot. I think I'll give it a go.

Libraraptor

That is such a great cover!And it does well without theropods!

PhilSauria

Fantastic piece of art, a book that I'll also be on the lookout for. Agreed on the therapods comment - if I see one more cover depicting a Tyrannosaurus roaring out at me...

I like the painterly look of this one as well, also a tad over DK's CG dino illustrations, bring back the illustrators. Love the whole ecosystem vibe going on here too, kinda reminds me of a herd of mixed herbivores heading across the savanna on the cover of a National Geographic mag.

Libraraptor

In Germany it´s going to be released in September, there´s a lot of Zallinger diorama-approach artwork going on inside!

ceratopsian

Early September in the UK too.  I must say it looks rather tempting!

Halichoeres

Illustrated by "A. N. Other?" I suppose that's a generic pseudonym for whatever anonymous illustrators they're employing?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Wow, that book looks cool!
They seem to have changed the subtitle, though the description still says "Let the 4 Billion Year Journey begin!"
https://smile.amazon.com/Life-Through-Time-700-Million-Year-Story/dp/0744020174/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=life+through+time&qid=1597580957&sr=8-2

HD-man

EDIT: Never mind.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

HD-man

EDIT: Never mind.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Crackington

Borag Thungg Forumites,

I'd like to recommend an early Xmas present to myself, purchased recently from UK comic store Forbidden Planet: Flesh - 2000 AD the Ultimate Collection 86.

Flesh was an uber-violent dinosaur tale from the very first issues of the galaxy's greatest comic, periodically coming back in later years. This new hardback gathers the original story from 1977 along with the slightly later Flesh Book 2 and a related story from the 2000s.

The premise is that 23rd century humans, having wiped out most animal life are using new time travel technology to farm dinosaurs for meat in the Cretaceous. They just happen to be cowboys herding styracosaurs and alamosaurs etc! However, they make a big mistake in leaving the predators hungry and when trail boss, Earl Reagan narrowly saves one of his men from a huge "hag" T-Rex, all hell breaks loose. The enraged Rex, with eye taken by Reagan (the superbly named "Old One Eye ") leads a predator revolt against the humans and attacks their main slaughter house/time travel base.

Although clearly inspired by Ray Bradbury's "A Sound of Thunder", the gory story comes across more as the "Valley of Gwangi" meets the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"! I recall enjoying it first time round and loving the comic's subversive punk rock attitude, cheering on Old One Eye's tyrannosaurs as they gleefully despatch their human oppressors.

The story was quite ahead of its time too, with Bakkerian "terrible claws", fast moving dinos and "furry" rex allies from the cold North!  A scene also pre-dates the end of a certain dino movie when a deinonychus stupidly attacks Old One Eye (though she's even quicker at dealing with it than the mega movie Rex).

The book costs around £9-10 and I would heartily recommend it to Forum members who like pulp Dino fiction and comic books too.

Halichoeres

First I've heard of Flesh! I never read 2000 AD, but I was dimly familiar with it in connection with Judge Dredd. Looks like a fun read with arresting artwork!

Crackington

Thanks avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, 2000 AD was a great read and I remember reading the early issues after my elder brother had finished with them!

There's some good background in the written introduction to this volume which explains that the creator Pat Mills, the enfant terrible of 70s UK comics, envisaged it as having 5 competing lead stories*, rather than one or two strong ones plus the usual "fillers". Hence 2000 AD had Flesh and later stories such as Strontium Dog (mutant bounty hunter), Slaine (Celtic berserker) and Rogue Trooper (Genetic future soldier) on an equal billing with Judge Dredd. It made for a very strong comic.

*Unlike US comics with a single storyline, British comics came out weekly with 5-6 stories.

Smilodon P.

About 20 years ago, I heard about Old One Eye, his son and the "furry" dinosaurs from the north, when I was looking for other works by Pat Mills, after reading Slaine: the Horned God saga.

But, as I didn't find anything about this series published in my country (and I was afraid to buy things via the internet at that time), I gave up looking for it.

But, knowing that there is a collector's edition (and considering the current import facilities that exists now) I think I will finally read this story.  ;D

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.