News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Book recommendations

Started by DinoToyForum, March 26, 2012, 02:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Not really a post on a single book but more of a... shout-out. Now that Weaver (that's me) is at college I can read lots of paleontology books and essays! If you all ever want to find out information on a book I can check to see if the college library has it and I can report back to you. Also, totally off subject but the school has some really old editions of certain books in their catalogs. So cool!

Anyway, if you ever need someone to look up an unknown/kinda obscure palentology book/reference-book I'm available to help.

tyrantqueen

Well, I just got Unwin's Pterosaur's from Deep Time, and I have to say I'm not all that impressed. I was expecting something that would be on the scale of Wellnofer but I guess that book is pretty hard to beat.
Perhaps it's because I can't stand Todd Marshall's artwork, or maybe because I need to read through it more....I dunno

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 11, 2012, 07:59:51 PM
Well, I just got Unwin's Pterosaur's from Deep Time, and I have to say I'm not all that impressed. I was expecting something that would be on the scale of Wellnofer but I guess that book is pretty hard to beat.
Perhaps it's because I can't stand Todd Marshall's artwork, or maybe because I need to read through it more....I dunno

I'm sorry to hear that. Then again I've never seen Wellnofer's book so I cannot really compare them and "Deep Time" is the only pterosaur book I own so...
Hopefully you'll change your mind when you read through it.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on October 11, 2012, 09:35:42 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 11, 2012, 07:59:51 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. Then again I've never seen Wellnofer's book so I cannot really compare them and "Deep Time" is the only pterosaur book I own so...
Hopefully you'll change your mind when you read through it.
It's all good. It's only a book, after all :)

Himmapaan

A book is never 'only' a book.  ;D

docronnie

How about Dinosaurs: The Encyclopedia by Donald F Glut?

Is is a good book?
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

tyrantqueen

You mean this?

If you can afford it...it is about £250 for sale on Amazon.co.uk, and that's only the first volume :x
It's also extremely comprehensive, so I would not reccommend it if you're a casual dinosaur lover. Expect a lot of jargon, technical papers and stuff like that.

Takama

Is each volume esentially an updated version of the ones prior? Or are they all its own

wings

Quote from: Takama on November 20, 2012, 05:15:19 AM
Is each volume esentially an updated version of the ones prior? Or are they all its own
The firsts book in 1997 provides summaries of all the animals published prior to 1996s. All the subsequent volumes are supplements which are add-ons to the original 1997 volume. The rest of these supplements only cover new researches and often lacks the entries for animals that weren't studied prior to the first book. These books are quite good if you don't have time to read or to find the original papers and would like to just gain some basic knowledge of the subject. Conversely, these books provide references for you to look up in your library.

CityRaptor

Anyone has Info on this book?
http://www.amazon.com/Dinosaurs-Field-Guide-Gregory-Paul/dp/1408130742/ref=la_B001IQZHPI_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1353966941&sr=1-4
Is this a book on its own or just a different, slimmed down  Version of the Princeton Field Guide?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Jetoar

It is the one of the best books of dinosaurs  ^-^. I dont have this book but I would like to buy it coming soon  ;D.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

ZoPteryx

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 26, 2012, 10:00:25 PM
Anyone has Info on this book?
http://www.amazon.com/Dinosaurs-Field-Guide-Gregory-Paul/dp/1408130742/ref=la_B001IQZHPI_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1353966941&sr=1-4
Is this a book on its own or just a different, slimmed down  Version of the Princeton Field Guide?

From what I've read, it's just a regional variant of the Princeton Field Guide.

wings

Quote from: Jetoar on November 26, 2012, 10:13:30 PM
It is the one of the best books of dinosaurs  ^-^. I dont have this book but I would like to buy it coming soon  ;D.
Since you haven't had the book yet, there are also electronic version of it on the net.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: wings on November 27, 2012, 03:53:11 AM
Since you haven't had the book yet, I've found an electronic version of it recently (removed).
Ummm no offense, and I'm sure you mean well...but isn't this online piracy? I think it would have been a better idea to have PM'd Jetoar the link instead...

Sorry, I think it's wrong. I don't agree with piracy. I paid for my copy of the Princeton Field Guide and so should Jetoar if he wants that book. You get what you pay for, it's a fantastic reference.

wings

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 27, 2012, 03:56:31 AM
Since you haven't had the book yet, I've found an electronic version of it recently (removed).
Ummm no offense, and I'm sure you mean well...but isn't this online piracy? I think it would have been a better idea to have PM'd Jetoar the link instead...

Sorry, I think it's wrong. I don't agree with piracy. I paid for my copy of the Princeton Field Guide and so should Jetoar if he wants that book. You get what you pay for, it's a fantastic reference.
I was having the same problem before and I asked more than once whether I could list these kind of links. In the end no one seems to mind (care) and that is the only reason I listed here. Perhaps I should add another line to say that take a look at it and decide whether you should buy it or not. If you are going to get it then that is great if not please delete it, so it is like as if you are skimming a book in a bookstore before purchase. BTW I've deleted the link so don't worry about it  :) . You'll (tyrantqueen) probably need to modify my earlier link from your comment so people can't use it.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: wings on November 27, 2012, 04:54:53 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 27, 2012, 03:56:31 AM

I was having the same problem before and I asked more than once whether I could list these kind of links. In the end no one seems to mind (care) and that is the only reason I listed here. Perhaps I should add another line to say that take a look at it and decide whether you should buy it or not. If you are going to get it then that is great if not please delete it, so it is like if you are skimming a book in a bookstore before purchase. BTW I've deleted the link so don't worry about it  :) . You'll (tyrantqueen) probably need to modify my earlier link from your comment so people can't use it.
That's odd, many other sites I've visited before will often frown upon and sometimes even outright ban members for sharing piracy links. I'm sort of disappointed to see that the Dinosaur Toy Forum is fine with online piracy, I expected better of them I guess....

I modified my link btw.

wings

Mmm... tyrantqueen, perhaps you shouldn't be linking my previous posts again because by doing so you've actually displaying my earlier link as well  :) .

sepp

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 27, 2012, 05:03:05 AM
That's odd, many other sites I've visited before will often frown upon and sometimes even outright ban members for sharing piracy links. I'm sort of disappointed to see that the Dinosaur Toy Forum is fine with online piracy, I expected better of them I guess....

Opinions or ideas expressed by the users on Dinotoyblog.com are not necessarily shared nor endorsed by the Admin, staff, moderators, and/or other users on this forum.

CityRaptor

Thanks for the Info!

Is the "Scholastic Dinosaur A To Z" more suited for kids or for adults? It's on the book wall, yet most reviews I read about it seem to suggest it to be a children's book.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ZoPteryx

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 27, 2012, 10:42:52 PM
Is the "Scholastic Dinosaur A To Z" more suited for kids or for adults? It's on the book wall, yet most reviews I read about it seem to suggest it to be a children's book.

It's not really geared toward either as far as I can tell.  It's definitely not very scientifically technical, but it does provide good (good at the time of publication anyway) summaries of what's known or thought about a wide selection of dinosaur genera.

If you already have GSP's field guide, I'd skip this one.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.