News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo- new for 2014

Started by Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus, November 08, 2013, 04:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splonkadumpocus

Quote from: Concavenator on December 15, 2013, 05:47:58 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 15, 2013, 05:23:02 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 15, 2013, 05:11:09 PM
I'm thinking a Dilophosaurus is very likely...given the species' appearance in Jurassic Park and the recent Sideshow maquette...but I could be wrong of course. I hope they release an Apatosaurus >:D

Dare we hope for all three ? A Giga, Dilo and Apatosaur ?    I'm kinda interested to see if they do a feathered dino finally..maybe a Gallimimus ?
What about a humped Deinocheirus?  ;)

That information was only published within the last couple of months. There's no way they could have produced a figure of it in time.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah..I'd still be happy with a Galli or even a  Struthio though.

utd7

yeah well i dont think they'll do a Gallimimus or any ornithomimid type dinosaur for now. Manufacturers tend to shy away from that type of dinosaur as they are really difficult to stay standing up. Saying that i would not mind one as well but i much prefer they do a Giganotosaurus or a Ceratosaurus or maybe a new sauropod.
We live in a Jurassic World

Ikessauro

So, has someone in the forum actually seen any pics of them yet? Shop owners perhaps? If so, I know you can't talk about what they are, or share photos, but can you at least say how many models are we getting? I don't think there's any harm in that.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Ikessauro on December 15, 2013, 09:45:59 PM
So, has someone in the forum actually seen any pics of them yet? Shop owners perhaps? If so, I know you can't talk about what they are, or share photos, but can you at least say how many models are we getting? I don't think there's any harm in that.
Everything Dinosaur made a very generalised statement that they have seen them, and that that they believe a lot of people would like them. Otherwise....I don't think anyone else knows.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: utd7 on December 15, 2013, 09:42:24 PM
yeah well i dont think they'll do a Gallimimus or any ornithomimid type dinosaur for now. Manufacturers tend to shy away from that type of dinosaur as they are really difficult to stay standing up. Saying that i would not mind one as well but i much prefer they do a Giganotosaurus or a Ceratosaurus or maybe a new sauropod.

To be fair a lot of their dinosaurs have trouble standing up.

utd7

well you are right there actually but it still would be cool to have a Papo Gallimimus. Anyway where did they see that Everything Dinosaur said that they would show us before the 20th of December?
We live in a Jurassic World

amanda

I am not so sure they'll do a Giga before a Ceratosaurus. The Cerato has so many...bumpy and horny bits, which is right up their alley. Dilopho? People have been expecting that since the beginning and it has not come. They seem to be slowly shuffling away from JP. As for a Struthio, etc, if they do one, it would be naked. Is that something you'd really want? Personally I am hoping for another new horned dino.

tanystropheus

Yes, more ceratopsians!

...if Papo ever made a Mamenchisaurus :o....a future sauropod release will probably be contingent upon their Brachiosaurus sales (interestingly enough, the price of the Brachio on Amazon  dropped from $49 to $35). I suspect that the Brachio sold reasonably well, based on a very unscientific sample of the number of Amazon reviews per Papo toy:

Papo T-rex (94 reviews)
Papo Running T-rex (70 reviews)
Papo Spinosaurus (69 reviews)
Papo Velociraptor (43 reviews)
Papo Allosaurus (40 reviews)
Papo Pteranodon (40 reviews)
Papo Triceratops (32 reviews)
Papo Ankylosaurus (25 reviews)
Papo Styracosaurus (20 reviews)
Papo Pachycephalosaurus (19 reviews)
Papo Pachyrhinosaurus (19 reviews)
Papo Stegosaurus (18 reviews)
Papo Parasaurolophus (16 reviews)
Papo Brachiosaurus (14 reviews)
Papo Smilodon (14 reviews)
Papo Oviraptor (13 reviews)
Papo Carnosaurius (13 reviews)
Papo Wooly Mammoth (9 reviews)
Papo Green baby T-rex (9 reviews)
Papo Brown baby T-rex (7 reviews)
Papo Plesiosaurus (7 reviews)
Papo Tylosaurus (6 reviews)
Papo Woolly Rhinoceros (4 reviews)
Papo Dimetrodon (1 review)
Papo baby Mammoth (0 reviews)

Newer models are expected to have accumulated less reviews. Theropods are clearly the most popular type of dinosaur toy for Papo. Ceratopsians sell moderately well.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Any theropod they do could be made to have all the spikes, scutes and plates though..and it does loo like big ones sell better.

We don't know for certain they'd do a featherless ornithomimid. ..might be their first one.

Of course maybe a new Velociraptor and then a Protoceratops ? Based on Sideshow's piece ? Satisfy both . heh

amanda

I don't need another Velociraptor personally. But I would die for a Papo Protoceratops. OR Carnegie/Safari. A nicely done Gallimimus with feathers would be nice. If done well enough it would certainly serve notice to the other companies...

KeU

Let it be a giant theropod, please let it be a giant theropod. Giganotosaurs, Ceratosaurus or Dilophosaurus. Any or all, if I dare wish, is gladly accepted.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: KeU on December 16, 2013, 02:59:12 PM
Let it be a giant theropod, please let it be a giant theropod. Giganotosaurs, Ceratosaurus or Dilophosaurus. Any or all, if I dare wish, is gladly accepted.
Ceratosaurus and Dilophosaurus were anything but giant theropods. Giant theropods were those like Suchomimus, Spinosaurus, Res, Giga, Mapusaurus, Oxalaia, etc.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on December 16, 2013, 03:22:25 PM
Ceratosaurus and Dilophosaurus were anything but giant theropods. Giant theropods were those like Suchomimus, Spinosaurus, Res, Giga, Mapusaurus, Oxalaia, etc.
True, but in the words of Scott Hartman: "Ceratosaurus wasn't a wuss" >:D

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 16, 2013, 03:23:59 PM
True, but in the words of Scott Hartman: "Ceratosaurus wasn't a wuss" >:D
This is true. Not only that, but it was a freaking cool looking dinosaur.  ;D
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

KeU

Well.. the word 'giant' is subjective, to me anything greater than 6m would be gigantic. Especially if you saw it in real life.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: KeU on December 16, 2013, 03:31:03 PM

Well.. the word 'giant' is subjective, to me anything greater than 6m would be gigantic. Especially if you saw it in real life.
Well, Ceratosaurus was only 5.5 meters long, and though Dilophosaurus was 7 meters long, it wasn't even as tall as a full grown man. Yes, I suppose you could call them big if you saw them in real life. But 1/40 models of them would be fairly small as far as models go. Just saying.  ;)
-Peter Benchley

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on December 16, 2013, 03:36:06 PM

Well, Ceratosaurus was only 5.5 meters long, and though Dilophosaurus was 7 meters long, it wasn't even as tall as a full grown man. Yes, I suppose you could call them big if you saw them in real life. But 1/40 models of them would be fairly small as far as models go. Just saying.  ;)

Everything I've seen for Dilophosaurus put it over the average human's height. Unless your thinking of Jurassic Park. 

Ceratosaurus  is good sized animal as well. We've just been spoiled by " GIANT " everything.

They may not have been " super-predators " but seen in 1:1 anyone would be impressed. 

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 16, 2013, 05:07:06 PM

Everything I've seen for Dilophosaurus put it over the average human's height. Unless your thinking of Jurassic Park. 

Ceratosaurus  is good sized animal as well. We've just been spoiled by " GIANT " everything.

They may not have been " super-predators " but seen in 1:1 anyone would be impressed.
No, I'm not thinking of JP. The size comparisons I have seen have shown that Dilo was much longer than a human, but about the same height.
Yes, 1:1 would be impressive. However, I just think that we can't call Dilo and Ceratosaurus, however cool/impressive in 1:1 they would be, "giant" dinosaurs. They are outclassed in that field by many theropods. I would love to see Papo make models of them; I just don't see the models being quite as large, say, as their Rex, which is what I think KeU was going for- "Please let it be a giant theropod. Then he classed Dilo and Cerato with Giganotosaurus; for me, they simply aren't in the same realm, whether in real life or model form. There would be no question encountering all 3 in real life, which of the 3 was gigantic.
-Peter Benchley

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on December 16, 2013, 05:14:11 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 16, 2013, 05:07:06 PM

No, I'm not thinking of JP. The size comparisons I have seen have shown that Dilo was much longer than a human, but about the same height.
Yes, 1:1 would be impressive. However, I just think that we can't call Dilo and Ceratosaurus, however cool/impressive in 1:1 they would be, "giant" dinosaurs. They are outclassed in that field by many theropods. I would love to see Papo make models of them; I just don't see the models being quite as large, say, as their Rex, which is what I think KeU was going for- "Please let it be a giant theropod. Then he classed Dilo and Cerato with Giganotosaurus; for me, they simply aren't in the same realm, whether in real life or model form. There would be no question encountering all 3 in real life, which of the 3 was gigantic.

What I've seen of Dilophosaurus with it's held high is over the average adult human. "Giant " was probably the wrong terminology to use..but it is a subjective term. I mean I have small kids look up at our juvenile Gorgosaurus and say " wow that's HUGE ! "  lol then the see the larger guys.  If you've never had the chance to stand toe to toe with a 1:1 dinosaur it's really hard to describe them.

It's also not like Papo keeps to scale anyway really..some are larger some are smaller. 

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.