News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Sideshow-new for 2014

Started by Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus, December 17, 2013, 05:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

utd7

Sideshow released some preview photos on their site. It looks absolutely awesome
We live in a Jurassic World

DinoToyForum

Quote from: utd7 on February 27, 2014, 04:52:22 PM
Sideshow released some preview photos on their site. It looks absolutely awesome

Yep, here they are!

Blade-of-the-Moon

You know it looks really cool in that pose, but I'm a little curious how it's balanced so it won't tip over. The base must be pretty heavy I guess ?

DinoToyForum

I've added many more photos to the first post in this thread  C:-)
The detail on the base looks amazing.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 27, 2014, 06:47:34 PM
You know it looks really cool in that pose, but I'm a little curious how it's balanced so it won't tip over. The base must be pretty heavy I guess ?
I wonder if the body is hollow, and the base is weighted.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 27, 2014, 06:51:48 PM
I've added many more photos to the first post in this thread  C:-)
The detail on the base looks amazing.

Indeed, the Squalicorax and the ammonites really add to it as does all the coral. I keep looking for other creatures hidden in it.. lol    This also marks Sideshow's first time adding other creatures to the base aside from the main ones. 

Dan

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 27, 2014, 06:55:02 PM

Some rather memorable photos of demolished statues clearly demonstrate that at least some Dinosauria models are hollow to some extent. Even so, they can be quite heavy, and I'm interested to find out how they've designed the base attachment for this one.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dan on February 27, 2014, 07:56:26 PM

Some rather memorable photos of demolished statues clearly demonstrate that at least some Dinosauria models are hollow to some extent. Even so, they can be quite heavy, and I'm interested to find out how they've designed the base attachment for this one.

Granted they've done some really out there supports before...the first Trike VS Rex dio I bought from Dan shocked me when I saw how it was supported..just one foot holds up both animals and it hasn't fell yet. Same for the Rex, Carno, and Spino.

This piece I dunno though. Even if his tail is made into the base seems like the base is too small to support much of a weight shift..say from the occasional bump it or it's shelf may receive.  Of course maybe the whole animal is hollow minus the tail with a steel rod going up through it and the base is extra heavy. Hard to say right now.

tyrantqueen

Some one destroyed a Sideshow model?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 27, 2014, 08:17:05 PM

Some one destroyed a Sideshow model?

When a piece arrives damaged, Sideshow asks the buyer to destroy it ad provide picture proof of it's destruction before replacing it .

BTW the Mosa is up fro preorder now :  http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/dinosauria-mosasaur-sideshow-collectibles-200361/

I can't believe it will be November before it's released..good birthday gift for me I guess..but there goes the chance of other pieces this year that aren't repaints.

tyrantqueen

QuoteWhen a piece arrives damaged, Sideshow asks the buyer to destroy it ad provide picture proof of it's destruction before replacing it .
Ohhh, I understand.

Dan

To be clear, do not take a sledgehammer to your Sideshow statues unless the seller has explicitly instructed you to do so. There are usually easier ways to resolve such an issue (though admittedly, less fun).

It was 11 months between announcement and release for the Apato, so the release schedule doesn't seem so surprising to me.

utd7

It looks incredible i have been waiting for it's full reveal since the magazine pics came out. I really like Mosasaurs and the fact that they shared the oceans of the inland sea in America with so many other amazing creatures like Squalicorax, Elasmosaurus and Xiphactinus. I think this is my favourite sideshow piece and to be honest can not wait for the future ones to be released especially the planned Deinonychus.
We live in a Jurassic World

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dan on February 27, 2014, 09:11:50 PM
To be clear, do not take a sledgehammer to your Sideshow statues unless the seller has explicitly instructed you to do so. There are usually easier ways to resolve such an issue (though admittedly, less fun).

It was 11 months between announcement and release for the Apato, so the release schedule doesn't seem so surprising to me.

Just seems like it should have sooner I guess..I was thinking July/August myself.  I was also expecting the T-Rex maybe in December..but I doubt it if this one will be Nov.  I thik we all got carried away with the mention of 4 pieces possible this year.

Roselaar

This one looks amazing, I might very well be tempted to get one for myself. As a Dutchman I ought to take some national pride in this animal so why not spend the big bucks on it as an exception? :)

That said, I prefer to wait and see what the actual quality of the piece is (knowing full well SS' pieces never live up to previews like these), and by that time I'm sure they've run out. ::)

postsaurischian

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 27, 2014, 08:44:27 PM
When a piece arrives damaged, Sideshow asks the buyer to destroy it ad provide picture proof of it's destruction before replacing it .

:o ;D ;D bizarre :)) I've never heard about that.

After I had received a Diorama with a broken Camarasaurus' tail I just sent it back to the seller and got a perfect one a few days later :).
Maybe the seller had to destroy it afterwards ( C:-) :))) and send the pics to Sideshow? .... as I said .. bizarre.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 27, 2014, 08:17:05 PM

I love the Manga girls' comments ^-^.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Roselaar on February 28, 2014, 09:47:56 PM
This one looks amazing, I might very well be tempted to get one for myself. As a Dutchman I ought to take some national pride in this animal so why not spend the big bucks on it as an exception? :)

That said, I prefer to wait and see what the actual quality of the piece is (knowing full well SS' pieces never live up to previews like these), and by that time I'm sure they've run out. ::)

The only thing that has been an issue with the last pieces was the paint apps. They're usually a bit cruder being done in a Chinese factory than by Riojas himself is all..the sculpt itself is usually excellent and well cast.

Roselaar

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 01, 2014, 12:51:42 AM

The only thing that has been an issue with the last pieces was the paint apps. They're usually a bit cruder being done in a Chinese factory than by Riojas himself is all..the sculpt itself is usually excellent and well cast.

Still, the paint job is an integral element of the beauty of these pieces. If it ends up disappointing compared to the stock photos, which is usually the case, I feel I didn't get my money's worth. And in SS's cases, that is quite a lot of money...

So, what would you advise me: preorder and be sure to get one, or wait for the piece to be released to ascertain its quality and risk being too late?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Roselaar on March 01, 2014, 01:47:35 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 01, 2014, 12:51:42 AM

Still, the paint job is an integral element of the beauty of these pieces. If it ends up disappointing compared to the stock photos, which is usually the case, I feel I didn't get my money's worth. And in SS's cases, that is quite a lot of money...

So, what would you advise me: preorder and be sure to get one, or wait for the piece to be released to ascertain its quality and risk being too late?

I can see your point.  The paint jobs haven't disappointed me really yet, they just need to stop having Riojas paint the prototype as they can't really replicate his exact style..anymore. They were closer with the first releases it seems.   I always figure it like if I bough this as a resin kit and had it built/painted what would it cost me ? That's the best comparison I have..probably in the 4-500.00 range.  Paint jobs haven't affected the rising prices of pieces either it seems.

Are you pre-ordering direct from Sideshow ? If so you can do the payment plan option and it's smaller amounts spread out, with the last payment made right before it ships.  If you order Dan he might be able to work something out similar with you as well..not sure.

Limited editions are what usually sell out, but there is no limited edition here..however many are taking the plunge to join the line now that they are re-issuing older pieces in new paint schemes...there is also no set edition size for this one yet. I 'm guessing pre-order amount will help determine that.

So if you go ahead and pre-order, should you not like it there will likely be a re-sale market for it for at least what you paid.  If you decide to wait there is a good chance there will still some available close to the ship date.   This isn't the 99.00 Tupuxuara or Euoplocephalus...or even a  normal release..but something in-between they are trying. 

Roselaar

Good reasoning, thanks! So this is not a release limited to like 500 figures, like some of the others? That would make it easier to acquire if I stay patient.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.