News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Spinosaurus- The Aquatic Reptile

Started by alexeratops, January 04, 2014, 09:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brachiosaurus

Quote from: alexeratops on January 04, 2014, 09:33:31 PM

Erm... speculative?
Worthy of All Yesterdays. :)

Nightmare fuel at its finest X)

Splonkadumpocus

Quote from: Gwangi on January 06, 2014, 07:04:19 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 06, 2014, 05:45:08 PM
This reminds me of an alternative hypothesis proposed a while back. It suggested that Baryonyx and its kin were actually not fish eaters, but their long snouts had evolved so they could stick them far into the cavities of rotting carrion. I remember reading it in "Dinosaurs of the Isle of Wight" (great book btw).

Not sure what to think about it though :-[

Certainly not unreasonable and not as far fetched as the above image for sure! There is a good amount of evidence for fish eating in spinosaurs though.

Doesn't mean they couldn't have scavenged as well. After all, seagulls do both. And Baryonyx had some Iguanodon material preserved in its stomach contents as well as fish scales, so clearly they weren't too picky.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Splonkadumpocus on January 09, 2014, 03:07:08 AM
This reminds me of an alternative hypothesis proposed a while back. It suggested that Baryonyx and its kin were actually not fish eaters, but their long snouts had evolved so they could stick them far into the cavities of rotting carrion. I remember reading it in "Dinosaurs of the Isle of Wight" (great book btw).

Certainly not unreasonable and not as far fetched as the above image for sure! There is a good amount of evidence for fish eating in spinosaurs though.

Doesn't mean they couldn't have scavenged as well. After all, seagulls do both. And Baryonyx had some Iguanodon material preserved in its stomach contents as well as fish scales, so clearly they weren't too picky.
What if it had been scavenging dead fish? >:D Like ones that had been washed up on the shoreline.

DeadToothCrackKnuckle

You guys do realize the artist made this for fun, right?

©Julius T. Csotonyi

Gwangi

Quote from: Splonkadumpocus on January 09, 2014, 03:07:08 AM

Nope, it certainly doesn't and I didn't mean to imply that. I don't doubt that spinosaurs ate other things aside from fish, I just think as far as evolving that long snout goes it evolved for fish eating primarily, not scavenging.

Ultimatedinoking

Erm... speculative?

anyone have a problem with a (speculative) legless marine animal having fully formed hips?
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

tyrantqueen

Quoteanyone have a problem with a (speculative) legless marine animal having fully formed hips?
Guess the original artist made a brain fart.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 20, 2014, 11:51:26 AM
Quoteanyone have a problem with a (speculative) legless marine animal having fully formed hips?
Guess the original artist made a brain fart.

ya, I suppose so.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Hermes888

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on January 20, 2014, 12:42:34 AM
*snip*

Erm... speculative?

anyone have a problem with a (speculative) legless marine animal having fully formed hips?
This isn't so much speculative as much as it is "completely removing the legs and adding some features to make it resemble a seal."
While All Yesterdays has some wild speculation, it is at least grounded in logic. Removing the legs (and leaving the hips) is not reasonable speculation at all.

Ultimatedinoking

Don't forge the teeth hanging from the fake nose!
-UDK

Newt

I hope nobody minds if a newbie jumps in!

Regarding spinosaurs as carrion eaters: no doubt they did opportunistically take carrion, but the "carcass probing" hypothesis doesn't make sense to me.  Just look at this skull and imagine using it that way:

First, if you're going to jab your mouth into a resistant substance, a blunt tip is counterproductive.  Second, the long teeth cannot be brought into play without opening the mouth quite a bit- so now you've got your slender snout stuck in to a slab of meat and have to open it- that's a recipe for a broken nose.  Third, speaking of the teeth, they're conical- great for piercing and holding struggling prey, terrible for cutting free gobbets of flesh- shearing teeth or a hooked beak attached to stout jaws are what you want for that.  Fourth, why the heck are you using your face to get at those tasty innards when you have these things?

You could get at any part of a carcass with those; no needle-nose required.

I'm not a bio-mechanics guy, but even I can see that this hypothesis doesn't make good sense.  Sorry to jump off topic like that.  The Spinosaurus as a seal picture is pretty funny.

Balaur

We don't. Welcome Newt!
I also doubt the carrion hypothesis, but I wouldn't be surprised if they scavenged occasionally.

Newt

Sure- the predator/ scavenger line is pretty fluid, and many or most "predators" will take carrion when available.  I saw a red-tailed hawk (generally thought of as a predator) and a turkey vulture (a dedicated scavenger) sharing a deer carcass just a few days ago.  Even a few snakes- maybe the purest predators among the amniotes- will scavenge.  I've seen cottonmouths eat road-killed watersnakes.

DinoToyForum

You make a strong case, Newt. I'm convinced anyway!  :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.