News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

General diorama contest discussion

Started by DinoToyForum, March 05, 2014, 05:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Gwangi on May 25, 2020, 05:39:40 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 25, 2020, 05:25:41 PM
Under the suggested "dinosaurs at home" theme, would traditional constructed dioramas still be fair game? Must the entries all be tongue in cheek?

On the one hand I would say they're fair game, because they would be constructed at home and fit the requirement of being at home. On the other hand that might give those entries an unfair advantage against the quirky entries so I'm inclined to think that they should ALL be tongue in cheek. A unique contest for these "unique" times we're living in. Or maybe forget pushing a quirky contest all together and just limit the rules to being indoor only and letting the creators decide? Much to think about and discuss.
Perhaps not all tongue in check, but I do agree that constructed dioramas would probably have an unfair advantage given they aren't under any comparative handicap. I think something as simple as including the dioramas stand/frame/shelf/etc. would be plenty to even the playing field though. Perhaps "must include a visible element of recognizably human-made structure (this can be anything from a bookcase or a wall to a patio door or a bird feeder)" is a good place to call it?

irimali

Stegotyranno420

So when will it be announced if approved. I excited to participate in my first diorama contest

DinoToyForum

I've given it some thought and decided not to run the contest with restrictions. I foresee some organisational headaches and pitfalls doing it that way.

Firstly, I'll inevitably receive entries that break the restrictions and I don't want to be in a position where I must reject entries that would be perfectly acceptable under normal circumstances. Some dioramas will be ambiguous. I don't want to be in a position where I receive enquiries that I have to respond to, or questionable dioramas that I have to interrogate the participant and make a judgement call on.

Secondly, once the entries are revealed, there will be an inevitable debate about whether certain entries should count or not...

"That's got a photograph in the background that was taken outdoors!"
"A greenhouse isn't indoors!"
"If I knew *that* counted I would have participated myself!"

..and so on. You know it will happen, no matter what rules are in place there will be wiggle room for interpretation.

Thirdly, I have to think about the sponsor and prizes – I can't make a unilateral decision that might affect the contest turnout and reach. If the sponsor is unhappy with a change, we could go ahead without prizes, but then turnout would be even lower. Even with prizes, I think we'd only receive about 5 or 6 serious indoor dioramas, and a dozen or so tongue in cheek ones. For me, it wouldn't be worth the investment of time.

So, I've decided instead to put the official 2020 contest on ice for now. Depending on what happens with the Covid-19 situation I will either run it in autumn or cancel it altogether. Hopefully the former.

However, in the meantime, if someone wants to organise an unofficial "DTF lockdown diorama contest", that would be fine by me.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Lanthanotus on May 25, 2020, 08:29:41 PM
Well, for a "serious" diorama you may need materials that you can either get in your backyard, a near park or a specialized shop that is most likely safer to visit than the supermarket that you rely on for your daily requirements. Personally I think, never`s been a better time for sch a contest, because a lot of people - though not necessarily in this forum - have more time at their hand then ever and often enough less ideas what to do with that time.

While I personally would welcome the idea to rule out outdoor shots, my motivation for that is, that a diorama by its very definition is someting artificially build up for some permanancy, rather than placing figures out in the garden or nature and take a shot (I myself do that with joy from time to time and also present the photos, but while those shots also require some thought and effort for prespective etc. it is still something vastly different in time and effort from building a diorama). I know a lot of people like those outdoor shots and there were always great shots among them, aswell as there are "lesser" dioramas - the simple way would maybe be to have different categories as it was in the 2017 contest (I think it was that year, not sure).

I endorse this take. I didn't even use all my votes last year because there weren't enough entries that even qualified as dioramas to my mind.

Anyway, it's a bit of a pity there might not be a contest just when some of us will actually have time to do it for once, but it's understandable. You can't police anyone else's behavior, but you can avoid creating incentives for unwise choices.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

Or maybe it could be a comedy diorama contest. Not having to be natural, documebtry-esqe, or anything like that. It could be indoors(or anywhere depending on how long this lasts) and it could be about funny scenes and moments. I saw a picture in the contest called "Sent to the principal's office" or something like that. It was pretty funny.  Just a suggestion, not begging

Paleo & Fish Collector

I agree with Gwangi here. The virus has taken so much from some us already, myself in particular being in the aviation industry, so why allow it to take even more? An indoor-only contest would be great, because it encourages people to stay home and it gives us something to look forward to and work on during these questionable times.

Under the suggested 2020 theme, I think homemade dioramas should still be fair game. I personally have a lot to work with here at home. Allow the creators to take their ideas wherever they please (within the rules).

I am also in agreement with Lanthanotus. I personally have purchased all my diorama materials online and never in-person. Not because of the virus, but simply because I find exactly what I'm looking for easier on the internet. I don't think "serious" dioramas should be outlawed in an attempt to discourage people from running to buy supplies.

Postponing the contest is understandable, but I think by the autumn, most of us will be back at our jobs or in school. Perhaps a contest without a sponsor this year wouldn't be too bad. You could pick some decent things from your collection or buy something relatively affordable that would be a desirable reward for the winner.

DinoToyForum

As I said, if someone wants to take responsibility for organising an unofficial unsponsored indoor-only 2020 contest, I give my blessings. I agree it would be nice, I'm just not going to invest time and energy organising such a contest myself, for the reasons I gave above. Note that organising the contest doesn't preclude one from participating in it, so it's a win-win for one of the more enthusiastic members.

If the official 2020 contest goes ahead in the autumn after all, it just means there will be a year with two contest – no problem.

stargatedalek

The last time I assisted in a contest I brought a slew of technical issues along with me (some entries getting deleted when I zipped the folder, and other more benign strangeness). Hence my reluctance to do so again.

If someone else is interested, I could do up some drafts of formats/rules/banner ads/etc. and send those your way to cut down on the workload some.

Ramose

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 26, 2020, 12:54:54 PM

So, I've decided instead to put the official 2020 contest on ice for now. Depending on what happens with the Covid-19 situation I will either run it in autumn or cancel it altogether. Hopefully the former.

However, in the meantime, if someone wants to organise an unofficial "DTF lockdown diorama contest", that would be fine by me.

Oh no, I completely understand but that's a bit of a bummer.  I'm going to keep working on mine and hopefully will have it ready in advance for either the fall or next year.  Stay safe everyone!

Megalosaurus

Hey Pals!
What about to just make a showcase, not a contest. No votes, no prices, no awards, no honorable mentions, no discualifications.
Dr Admin:
1) Receive dioramas with no rules o restrictions. (Or very basic rules)
2) Just name a start day, and show 5 dioramas daily for the members to comment on them.
3) Repeat step 2 until you get out of dioramas.

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Libraraptor

Quote from: Megalosaurus on June 06, 2020, 01:12:20 AM
Hey Pals!
What about to just make a showcase, not a contest. No votes, no prices, no awards, no honorable mentions, no discualifications.
Dr Admin:
1) Receive dioramas with no rules o restrictions. (Or very basic rules)
2) Just name a start day, and show 5 dioramas daily for the members to comment on them.
3) Repeat step 2 until you get out of dioramas.

Honestly,  this sounds a little boring.  The contest character is what gives it the special thrill.
  And maybe someone does not want to 'waste' her/his entry on a showcase. One crucial rule for the contest is that the pictures must never have been seen anywhere else before. I accept what avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum said.

Wallnut

Quote from: Paleo & Fish Collector on May 31, 2020, 08:31:38 PM
I agree with Gwangi here. The virus has taken so much from some us already, myself in particular being in the aviation industry, so why allow it to take even more? An indoor-only contest would be great, because it encourages people to stay home and it gives us something to look forward to and work on during these questionable times.

Under the suggested 2020 theme, I think homemade dioramas should still be fair game. I personally have a lot to work with here at home. Allow the creators to take their ideas wherever they please (within the rules).

I am also in agreement with Lanthanotus. I personally have purchased all my diorama materials online and never in-person. Not because of the virus, but simply because I find exactly what I'm looking for easier on the internet. I don't think "serious" dioramas should be outlawed in an attempt to discourage people from running to buy supplies.

Postponing the contest is understandable, but I think by the autumn, most of us will be back at our jobs or in school. Perhaps a contest without a sponsor this year wouldn't be too bad. You could pick some decent things from your collection or buy something relatively affordable that would be a desirable reward for the winner.
Like some carnigies old battats and  old papos etc. also making indoor dioramas would get more creative  because you can make your own landscape.

Newt

avatar_Wallnut @Triton TR - 2020 is thankfully almost over. It's time to look forward to the 2021 contest, which can hopefully be carried out in the traditional pre-pandemic manner.

Wallnut

Quote from: Newt on December 04, 2020, 11:56:57 AM
avatar_Wallnut @Triton TR - 2020 is thankfully almost over. It's time to look forward to the 2021 contest, which can hopefully be carried out in the traditional pre-pandemic manner.

I agree now we are in the last month of 2020 I have a idea for 2021 contest have 3 sepret categories marine reptiles, dinosaurs and prehistoric mammals the most voted  6 dioramas from each categorie will be voted with each other and the most voted diorama will be the winner. I'am fine with this diorama contest system but a new system will be good for prehistoric mammals in last years contes  theres no prehistoric mammal diorama .

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

triceratops83

I came up with an idea I could use in a potential contest and today I managed to photograph it, just in case. I hope we end up  holding a contest again (just for kicks) because I'm really happy with the result.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Halichoeres

Quote from: triceratops83 on September 25, 2022, 08:45:30 AMI came up with an idea I could use in a potential contest and today I managed to photograph it, just in case. I hope we end up  holding a contest again (just for kicks) because I'm really happy with the result.

Well I hope we get to see it one day, one way or another!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

triceratops83

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

DinoToyForum

After a three year hiatus, there will be a contest this year! Watch this space for details of the Dinosaur Toy Forum Diorama Contest 2023!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.