News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

General diorama contest discussion

Started by DinoToyForum, March 05, 2014, 05:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaraWildsong42

I'm excited for this, I've never made a diorama before, so I'm eager to give it a go!
You're not allowed to call them dinosaurs any more," said Yo-less. "It's speciesist. You have to call them pre-petroleum persons. -Terry Pratchett

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: KaraWildsong42 on April 12, 2014, 02:41:23 AM
I'm excited for this, I've never made a diorama before, so I'm eager to give it a go!
Welcome!
-Zhuchengotyrant

DinoToyForum

Details about the contest will be revealed soon!

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Zhuchengotyrant

-Zhuchengotyrant

SpittersForEver

sooooooooooooo exited!!!!!!!!     :) :) :)

Simon

Technical question:  If I have a built-up dino scene mini-diorama - lets say a couple of painted up critters on a small base - that I plan on posing in a natural setting to create my own diorama photo for the contest, would it disqualify me if I show just the original piece here on the DTF?

An example from the past - the winning entry in 2012 was the Krentz TRex (which everyone had already seen on its base) but which had been posed in a natural setting.

I am asking because I have a couple of pieces coming from Martin (that I customized prior to sending to him for painting) that I would like to share, but which I might also want to use in creating an outdoor contest photo ....

Thanks Admin in advance for clearing this up so I know what I can and can't do ...

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Simon on May 19, 2014, 01:43:29 AM
Technical question:  If I have a built-up dino scene mini-diorama - lets say a couple of painted up critters on a small base - that I plan on posing in a natural setting to create my own diorama photo for the contest, would it disqualify me if I show just the original piece here on the DTF?

An example from the past - the winning entry in 2012 was the Krentz TRex (which everyone had already seen on its base) but which had been posed in a natural setting.

I am asking because I have a couple of pieces coming from Martin (that I customized prior to sending to him for painting) that I would like to share, but which I might also want to use in creating an outdoor contest photo ....

Thanks Admin in advance for clearing this up so I know what I can and can't do ...

The exact wording of the rule is you cannot use a picture that has been published before...so a picture that does not use the same backdrop would not qualify .
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

QuoteI am asking because I have a couple of pieces coming from Martin (that I customized prior to sending to him for painting) that I would like to share, but which I might also want to use in creating an outdoor contest photo ....
I thought you said you weren't into collecting anymore? :)

Simon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 19, 2014, 11:22:07 AM
QuoteI am asking because I have a couple of pieces coming from Martin (that I customized prior to sending to him for painting) that I would like to share, but which I might also want to use in creating an outdoor contest photo ....
I thought you said you weren't into collecting anymore? :)

I'm not ... these were a couple of customization leftovers that I decided to have Martin paint ... Seemed a shame to get rid of them unfinished ... I certainly haven't given up art - getting rid of the junk cluttering up space was a way to free me up a little in that regard ... stay tuned  ...

Dan

The rules indicate the participant must build their own diorama. I would assume having an animal finished by someone else would be alright, but what about the diorama/base? For example, it would seem unfair to submit an entry with one of Martin Garratt's lush landscapes included in the scene, since that wouldn't have been built by the contest participant. Perhaps clearer definitions are needed.

tyrantqueen

QuoteFor example, it would seem unfair to submit an entry with one of Martin Garratt's lush landscapes included in the scene, since that wouldn't have been built by the contest participant. Perhaps clearer definitions are needed.
I agree, I don't think it's fair either. No offense, Simon. I think participants should build their own scenery or go outside and use what mother nature provided for us.

Simon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 21, 2014, 03:07:22 AM
QuoteFor example, it would seem unfair to submit an entry with one of Martin Garratt's lush landscapes included in the scene, since that wouldn't have been built by the contest participant. Perhaps clearer definitions are needed.
I agree, I don't think it's fair either. No offense, Simon. I think participants should build their own scenery or go outside and use what mother nature provided for us.

None taken.  Seems like a reasonable observation, and I didn't want to hold off on showing y'all the dioramas, hence my question.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Simon on May 21, 2014, 07:56:44 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 21, 2014, 03:07:22 AM

None taken.  Seems like a reasonable observation, and I didn't want to hold off on showing y'all the dioramas, hence my question.
Interesting observation...I always ask Martin if he is entering, because I would not feel right about his having to compete against his own work . He always tells me go ahead, but I have always used real outdoor backgrounds and so far none of his repaints.....but tomorrow is a new day.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stoneage

:)  The first diorama contest we ever had included a Favorite Diorama.  It finished 3rd.  So I guess thats a precedent.

http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/578/vote-diorama-contest?page=3#page=1

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stoneage on May 21, 2014, 03:10:38 PM
:)  The first diorama contest we ever had included a Favorite Diorama.  It finished 3rd.  So I guess thats a precedent.

It's more like three models mounted on a base than a diorama. It's not like the person who took that photo was going to saw off the models from the base anyway, just for a photograph.

Simon

Quote from: stoneage on May 21, 2014, 03:10:38 PM

And that is exactly why I asked for a clarification.

If I enter the contest, what I plan on doing is creating a ground-level diorama in nature that will depend on the natural surroundings for its framing, not Martin's base, which I may cover and make invisible to the camera.  I never thought about submitting just the dio Martin made per my instructions precisely because I didn't make it.  Since I did customize the dinosaur figures, I have no qualms about using them, however ...

Simon

I just realized that if I do a diorama with a model that I customized and Martin painted, and I already shared the photo with you, then everyone would know whose dio it was, which kind of defeats the purpose of having anonymous voting.

So the Iggy and Utah will not be making their appearance in the contest.  I'm gonna have to rethink if I want to do it and withhold photos of some new project off the web til then.

hmmmm....

Ridureyu

Okay, I have a few ideas of what I might like to do. I've divided them up into "Standard," "Cool," and "Funny" categories.  Please let me know!

They will likely be "nighttime" shots because I usually use a dark backdrop and handheld lighting.

STANDARD

-CollectA Xenocertops, because I think it looks cool.
-Safari Inostrancevia, perhaps attacking their Scutosaurus.
-Something with the Kaprosuchus or Postosuchus
-Something with CollectA's Carcharodontosaurus.  I do not currently own this piece, but it is expensive - I will order one if I choose to go head with this.
-Something with the Safari Suchomimus, depending on how striking I find its color scheme.
-Something with Papo's Dimetrodon.  perhaps sunning itself outdors in the daylight, perhaps not.

COOL

-The Papo T-Rex running at the camera.  I already did a similar photo to this before, so I would have to change some things, but I know how to really capture the energy and urgency of the scene.
-Papo T-Rex vs. Papo Spinosaurus.
-The Cryolophosaurus in a frozen wasteland, despite the fact that its habitat was tropical when it lived.
-The Papo T-Rex and the Papo Pachycephalosaurus
-A family T-Rex shot

FUNNY

-Some dinosaurs poking around the wreckage of a time machine
-Godzilla vs. any dinosaur
-A good, accurate, beautiful diorama that happens to include the "rust monster" Chinasaur.
-The Papo Dilophosaurus fighting a frilled-necked cheap knockoff Dilophosaurus.
-Something with the Agustina, because it probably did not exist.

tyrantqueen

Shouldn't you be keeping this sort of stuff to yourself, though? The entries are supposed to be anonymous, and if you reveal too much about what you're going to do for your entry that anonymity will be compromised.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.