News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Forum changes

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tylosaurus

Great work mate! Thanks for keeping our boat afloat!
Tylo gives you some Dino bickies xD  *orthocone*

Seijun

I think a chat room would be interesting to have. The old chat had one but I could never get it to work.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Tylosaurus

The Descent Task Force a Community I Co-Founded uses Mumble Voice to have voice conversations :)
More about Mumble Voice can be found here:
http://www.mumblevoice.com/tutorials/important-update-to-mumble-1-2-3a/

Teamspeak & Skype are good alternatives also, but Mumble being an OpenSource project seems to be the cheapest and best solution.

DinoToyForum

I've added a section to the profile area that allows members to select boards they wish to ignore. For all you fuss-pots who can't stand to see people having fun in the games section. ;D :P

Tylosaurus

thanks mate +1!

I find it odd that they can't stand people having some neutral fun, strange lot them fussports  ::) *orthocone*

DinoToyForum

I understand it, but personally I like to watch the games ;D

Tylosaurus

rofl! join in I'd say mate :P

DinoToyForum

For those of you who have received error messages when trying to post, I have now resolved the issue, and you should be able to post freely again! My mistake, apologies for the inconvenience!  C:-)

CityRaptor

Thank you for fixing that!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Tylosaurus

Many many thanks for fixing this dinosaurtoyforum! 
Also many thanks for keeping the best Dinosaur forum on the net alive mate!

DinoToyForum

This is just to clarify that the forum post limit is set to 20 per day. We feel this is a healthy and reasonable limit. To put the figure into context, I post an average of 11 per day.

Please note that the figure is not intended to be seen as a target. :P

Tylosaurus

Sorry but why limit the amount of posts per day? I don't see the point of this, I have about 30+ per day, since I have a lot to discuss. This is also the first forum I have been that has a posts limitation, unless your server can't seem to handle all the data that is being sent to it from people posting, something I find highly unimaginable ;)

Anyways if you want a limit maybe a flood control is an idea that everytime a post is made the user can not post within 1 minute or so? This is what my colleagues @ x-3dfx.com used and it was very effective.

People are going to post anyways and if some like me have a lot to post and these posts are useful as far as I could tell :)
So yeah Iwas shocked to read this and also did not expect it either, it would only be a setback for posters like me, sad face  :-[ *orthocone*

DinoToyForum

Sorry, but the moderators have agreed that 20 posts is a reasonable daily limit.
We can readdress this topic in the future if large numbers of people encounter issues with it. 

Tylosaurus

Is there a reason for this limit? So far I have not seen any, sorry I ask this.

DinoToyForum

Another very minor modification - I've changed the colour of my username as it appears in the who's online list, to match the rest of the mods. I didn't like standing out like a sore thumb!  ;)

tyrantqueen

Well...the post limit kinda sucks...but I guess there's no point making a fuss about it since a decision has been made :-\

postsaurischian

Well, I guess that a majority of the DTF members don't want this to be a place where every topic of the world can be discussed.
The DTF should not be another 'social platform' like Facebook, which can be used for discussions about politics, religion, personal data and so on.
For private conversation people can still use the e-mail function as often as they like - I'm using it quite regularly :).

I think the post limit is a good decision.

Tylosaurus

Imo it's senseless a forum is made to have discussions and not limitations really it's rally seen and some people have a lot to discuss about, it is up to them after all, as like my self I have a lot to discuss about , sorry I don't see this as a crime.

@ these places we have various conversations 30 posts per day, that's nothing, even making 20 even a lot less:

EDIT. I deleted the long list of links from this post -ADMIN

We don't have post limitations because we want our members to keep the forums and community alive, if you want to limit posting you don't want people to post, it's that simple  *orthocone*

It's like holding people to some chain, it's pointless and utterly senseless, In my humble opinion this won't make this place a better one, it will make it loose it's reputation greatly

I'm sorry but such childish settings can only get me very annoyed

DinoToyForum

Tylosaurus, we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree. :)
But thanks for your thoughts.

Tylosaurus

You must do what you feel is right of course
Thanks for understanding my point of views.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.