News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Forum etiquette

Started by Doug Watson, August 07, 2014, 02:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

If I may make a suggestion please as Dr. Admin says be polite especially with newbies. This is after all supposed to be a "friendly" community. I am still considered a newbie  and when I first got up the nerve to comment I made more than a few goofs with the quote button. It took quite a while before I even found out about the reply button. I still only have a rudimentary knowledge of all the options available and will probably never use them all. If anyone had made some of the harsh comments I have seen posted in regards to this offence concerning one of my posts I might have just said "the heck with this". I can see being more stern with veterans of the forum but I would hope for more patience regarding newcomers to this forum or forums in general. It takes just as long to write an insult as it does to politely explain the ropes.

Patrx

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 07, 2014, 02:53:15 PM
If I may make a suggestion please as Dr. Admin says be polite especially with newbies. This is after all supposed to be a "friendly" community. I am still considered a newbie  and when I first got up the nerve to comment I made more than a few goofs with the quote button. It took quite a while before I even found out about the reply button. I still only have a rudimentary knowledge of all the options available and will probably never use them all. If anyone had made some of the harsh comments I have seen posted in regards to this offence concerning one of my posts I might have just said "the heck with this". I can see being more stern with veterans of the forum but I would hope for more patience regarding newcomers to this forum or forums in general. It takes just as long to write an insult as it does to politely explain the ropes.

Well said, Doug! I do get the impression that the overall politeness level of this place has begun to decline recently. Remember kids, this is not the rest of the Internet. Play nice :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Patrx on August 07, 2014, 03:12:58 PM

Well said, Doug! I do get the impression that the overall politeness level of this place has begun to decline recently. Remember kids, this is not the rest of the Internet. Play nice :)

If true, this is a worry.  :-\ I don't read every post on the forum and I'm sure the mods don't either, so if regular members spot any behaviour that they regard as unsavoury, then please let us know via pm.  :)

sauroid

i see DTF old timers guilty of quoting multiple image posts on the same page. also, i see some people advertising (subtly/blatantly) their stuff on almost all the threads i watch. is that objectionable?
also another pet peeve: people who congratulate EVERYONE who posts EVERY newly acquired figures just to up their post counts and to appear jolly/nice/amiable. there should be a rule about this.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: sauroid on August 08, 2014, 06:42:49 AM
i see DTF old timers guilty of quoting multiple image posts on the same page. also, i see some people advertising (subtly/blatantly) their stuff on almost all the threads i watch. is that objectionable?
also another pet peeve: people who congratulate EVERYONE who posts EVERY newly acquired figures just to up their post counts and to appear jolly/nice/amiable. there should be a rule about this.
I'm not sure...could you explain a bit more? You mean like advertising it in their signature?

CityRaptor

No,not signatures. Some itereally made posts saying "buy my stuff" in several threads, as well as spearate threads for it.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoToyForum

people who congratulate EVERYONE who posts EVERY newly acquired figures just to up their post counts and to appear jolly/nice/amiable. there should be a rule about this.

Hehe, they are called 'active forum members' and maybe they really are nice! There is no 'like' button, after all, so if someone replies that's a positive thing ;)

This thread is going off topic, so I may split it up...edit, just did.

DinoToyForum

advertising (subtly/blatantly) their stuff on almost all the threads i watch.

It is generally okay so long as it is on topic. There is a line between advertising and spam that is difficult to see, so if you have any concerns, just drop me or another mod a pm.

Paleogene Pals

Hey everybody! Wanna buy my stuff? Hint, hint  :)

Himmapaan

Quote from: Patrx on August 07, 2014, 03:12:58 PM

Hear, hear, to both of you. I haven't been on the forum in a long while, as most members are aware. Newer ones probably don't even know me at all. But just peeping in recently, I was surprised to find how rude people were.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Himmapaan on August 21, 2014, 09:29:31 PM
....... peeping in recently, I was surprised to find how rude people were.

It's true :(.
We have some feisty members who are more into arguing over a subject than exchanging information.
I'm not sure if you can prevent this from happening in a public forum :-\.

stargatedalek

Another thing to consider is that some people are very good at taking arguments lightly, so it may seem intensive to onlookers yet mundane to some or all parties involved

I know I'm very guilty of this

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 21, 2014, 09:58:23 PM
Another thing to consider is that some people are very good at taking arguments lightly, so it may seem intensive to onlookers yet mundane to some or all parties involved

I know I'm very guilty of this

This comment is close to how I see it...but I consider most discussions conversations or debates, and not arguments. If you back away from it a step and just offer your thoughts or points, without the insults and name calling it is to me the purpose why we visit here generally. I think the trick is to avoid becoming personnally invested, or seeing anothers viewpoint as an attack on your own. At the end of the day everyone is entitled to think how they wish, wether it makes sense, is well based or if we find it odd.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 21, 2014, 09:46:43 PM
Quote from: Himmapaan on August 21, 2014, 09:29:31 PM
....... peeping in recently, I was surprised to find how rude people were.

It's true :(.
We have some feisty members who are more into arguing over a subject than exchanging information.
I'm not sure if you can prevent this from happening in a public forum :-\.

Never completely because it doesn't break any forum rules. Trouble is, an argumentative approach breeds more of the same, and so the rolling snowball gathers speed and mass at an exponential rate. However, we can all do our best to remain calm and cordial to demonstrate how discussion and debate is possible without voicing sarcasm, frustration, or rudeness.

Blade-of-the-Moon

DinoToyForum

I've quoted this from a different thread:

Quote from: loru1588 on August 29, 2014, 02:37:27 PM
Man, some of you guys are brutal! New comer to the site and some of you are already dragging him through the coals! There's the old expression " You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar". Constructive criticism is a good thing, but downright bashing somebody?........ I've grown a thick skin through the years so, most stuff just bounces off, but someone new to the forum may just say " F this, I'm out of here!" As to someone " hawking their wares", if any of that was directed to me, I get paid whether I am here or not, whether the toys sell or not. I don't have to be here giving you a heads up on what's to come or looking for input on what direction to go with the next series. Some of you will moan no matter what company makes whatever dinosaur to whatever degree of accuracy and that's your prerogative. But, I feel some folks here could be a bit more subtle and tactful  in their criticism. Off my soapbox for now.

Yes. It's a simple matter of respect and I think it's time we took it more seriously. The ongoing insensitivity and rudeness on the forum is upsetting existing members and I know it has pushed several away. It may also be putting off new members from joining or staying. It is therefore in the interests of the community as a whole to nip this nastiness in the bud before it gets out of hand.

We have gone for years without this being a major problem and I'd like to keep it that way. Simon's temporary ban for rudeness can be seen as the first step towards reaching this end. I've updated rule number 1 of the forum so it now reads "No intentional personal attacks or rudeness". So, from now on I'll be more vigilant taking action against rude posts and I'll ask the other mods to do the same. Action will include banning members immediately, and potentially permanently, so you have been warned.

I also ask all members to think about what you're posting - not necessarily what you post but sometimes how you say it - before you click the post button. Better to vet your own posts for insensitivity than have a mod call you out on it. Also, it would also be a great, if you spot a post you feel is rude, to report it to a moderator.

Thanks for your understanding!  C:-)

Himmapaan

Blade-of-the-Moon

Some simple consideration, thinking for a minute before hitting " post " would help a lot. Just ask yourself " if someone said this to me, would I get upset ? "

tyrantqueen

Never reply to a thread when you're upset or angry. I find it's just best to leave the computer and do something else when that happens.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 29, 2014, 07:18:00 PM
Never reply to a thread when you're upset or angry. I find it's just best to leave the computer and do something else when that happens.

That's a good policy to have.  :)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.