Author Topic: Forum etiquette  (Read 21695 times)

X

• View Profile
Re: Forum etiquette
« Reply #280 on: September 10, 2017, 11:59:26 PM »
I don't want to get in trouble for this, but I will say I was not pushed away from the forum or forced out. I left due to personal reasons. And I really hope this doesn't start the whole argument again.

postsaurischian

• Cretaceous survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Guanlong
  • v.1 status and posts: 1442
« Reply #281 on: January 01, 2018, 08:59:38 PM »

from the "Safari Ltd.: New for 2018" thread:

It's exhausting and I tend to avoid reading some threads now that has become just a constant " this company is better than this blah blah blah" over and over again :))

Me too, it's really annoying. I want Beautiful Dinosaurs - no matter who sculpts them or who produces them! I'm always thankful when there are a few that I don't like, because money and space issues make it impossible for me to get all the stuff that I do like anyway ;D.
So (to some people): Stop "hating" one or the other figure and start celebrating the immense amount of great figures we're getting these days. It's unbelievable! (for someone who started collecting in the early 70s and was totally blown away when he got two Invictas in 10 years)

Libraraptor

• Reviewer
  • Cretaceous survivor
    • View Profile
    • Eitens Welt
  • v.1 status and posts: Global Moderator / 2268 posts
« Reply #282 on: January 01, 2018, 10:54:16 PM »

It's exhausting and I tend to avoid reading some threads now that has become just a constant " this company is better than this blah blah blah" over and over again :))

Me too, it's really annoying. I want Beautiful Dinosaurs - no matter who sculpts them or who produces them! I'm always thankful when there are a few that I don't like, because money and space issues make it impossible for me to get all the stuff that I do like anyway ;D.
So (to some people): Stop "hating" one or the other figure and start celebrating the immense amount of great figures we're getting these days. It's unbelievable! (for someone who started collecting in the early 70s and was totally blown away when he got two Invictas in 10 years)

Well said, postsaurischian and Boki! These are the times I used to dream of 25 or so years ago when I bought my first realistic, serious dinosaur figure, Invicta Diplodocus. First figure I didnt have to be ashamed of standing on the shelves of a 15 year-old dinosaur lover.
This choice, this diversity of great toys, figures and models leaves me breathless nowadays. I want to enjoy nice and interesting figures of prehistoric animals and have a good time with like-minded people. That is why Ive been contributing to this forum from the beginning. Sometimes I would bash Schleich, sometimes I get a little too political, but I do my best to stop this. And I definitely do not want that kindergarten discussion the Star Wars "fans" lead these days about the new movie and which one is the best. Prequel bashing, Disney bashing. And Let us simply enjoy our prehistoric beasts fandom. Its as simple as that.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 10:56:04 PM by Libraraptor »

Moodyraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 01, 2018, 11:13:29 PM »

I agree.  As someone who reads more than they comment, it gets quite boring, to be honest - you see there are new replies on a thread you've been following, but instead of discussion or news about the figures, it's the same old argument.  All the companies have strengths and weaknesses, and models that I do like and models that I don't like.  What's more, everyone collects for different reasons, and looks for different things in the models they collect, so of course different people are going to have different priorities when it comes to what they look for.  There isn't really a right or wrong answer here, so it just seems pointless to keep arguing about which company is better.  It's entirely in the eye of the beholder, and you're not going to change anybody's mind. 

Jose S.M.

• Permian survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Ceratopsids
« Reply #284 on: January 01, 2018, 11:17:58 PM »
I too think the "this is better than..." discussion is tiring. I admit that I have participated in those, I was trying to make the point that you don't have to bring down thing to show your love for what you like, but that seems to add fuel to the arguments, it's sometimes difficult to read an uncalled or offensive comparison and not defend the thing that's being brought down.
I think if you have to make comparisons, they can be made in a positive way, like saying this company has these strong points and I love them, but this other company has these strengths too, instead of just saying this is better or this sucks. Off course we all have dislikes, nobody is entitled to force someone to like something, the thing is keeping it peaceful and kind of neutral if we have/want to express it.

Minmiminime

• View Profile
  • Dinosaur: "Gertie"
« Reply #285 on: January 01, 2018, 11:23:10 PM »
I used to find some of the vitriol expressed here quite off-putting, so I observed the forum as a lurker for years, then even when I joined it took me a while to come out of my shell! But, I just skip past the arguments these days, and enjoy the sheer joy that everyone here shares in the hobby ^-^ With such a large range of stunning dinosaur figures out there, and the bottomless wealth of sources of research and information, its never been a better time to be a collector and armchair palaeontologist!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

PhilSauria

• Cambrian survivor
    • View Profile
    • My Collection
« Reply #286 on: January 02, 2018, 01:28:45 AM »
I totally agree with all of the last comment! When I see that sort of negative commentary developing I don't read any further and certainly stay out of it in case I'm caught in the crossfire!

ceratopsian

• Carboniferous survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 02, 2018, 08:33:58 AM »
I too skip over this sort of argument and avoid participating.  Anything said always seems to fan the flames.  I want to enjoy my hobby, not get caught up in angry exchanges.

sauroid

• Cretaceous survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Troodon
  • v.1 status and posts: i don't remember
« Reply #288 on: January 02, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »
in my case, i love almost all the prehistoric figures (except for maybe most of Schleich's recent deliberately made monstrosities) ever since i started collecting 12 to 15 years ago and started out with a dozen Carnegie and Wild Safari released in the late 90s-early 2000s (not counting the vintage ones i inherited from my dad) that even the outdated and inaccurate ones i find lovely and appealing.
*it seems like some members are in the forum just to engage in arguments judging from some very internet aggressive individuals*

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Sim

• Permian survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Velociraptor mongoliensis
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2018, 10:40:27 PM »
I saw a post made today in "The Identification thread" that consisted just of "-", by "Crazyman".  Looking at their posts, it looks like once again a user has decided to remove their own presence on the forum: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2323

As for what this user was called previously, it's Ivysaur as this thread shows: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6945.0

dinotoyforum

• Dr Admin
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate survivor
  • Boy, do I hate being right all the time!
    • View Profile
    • The Dinosaur Toy Blog
  • Dinosaur: Rhomaleosaurus
  • v.1 status and posts: Admin (3,739 posts)
« Reply #290 on: August 28, 2018, 10:46:34 PM »
It happens every now and again. It's disruptive but there's nothing that can be done about it so long as members have the ability to edit their own posts.  They could have saved themselves a lot of bother by asking me to delete their account and posts for them. They obviously don't want to be a part of the community so I'll delete their account and posts.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:50:01 PM by dinotoyforum »

CityRaptor

• Pleistocene survivor
  • Ornithoscelidaphobia!
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Troodon
  • v.1 status and posts: A silent watcher...
« Reply #291 on: August 28, 2018, 11:03:17 PM »
I start to wonder if those are all the same person wanting to mess with us. I mean, come on, they come here, make a few dozen or so posts and then pull this off.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

• Permian survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Velociraptor mongoliensis
« Reply #292 on: August 29, 2018, 01:28:27 AM »
I don't doubt the two "Charlie" members were just one person, but I think Ivysaur is a different person.  The behaviour from the two "Charlie" accounts was quite distinctive, and Ivysaur didn't do anything that I felt quite resembled that.  Even the way Ivysaur removed their presence from the forum had a different feel to it than the way the "Charlie" accounts did it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:09:49 PM by Sim »