News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Forum etiquette

Started by Doug Watson, August 07, 2014, 02:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Please stop sneaking religion and political discussion into the etiquette thread. The forum rules apply here as much as anywhere. C:-)

X

I don't want to get in trouble for this, but I will say I was not pushed away from the forum or forced out. I left due to personal reasons. And I really hope this doesn't start the whole argument again.

postsaurischian

from the "Safari Ltd.: New for 2018" thread:

Quote from: Bokisaurus on January 01, 2018, 07:51:29 PM
It's exhausting and I tend to avoid reading some threads now that has become just a constant " this company is better than this blah blah blah" over and over again :))

Me too, it's really annoying. I want Beautiful Dinosaurs - no matter who sculpts them or who produces them! I'm always thankful when there are a few that I don't like, because money and space issues make it impossible for me to get all the stuff that I do like anyway ;D.
So (to some people): Stop "hating" one or the other figure and start celebrating the immense amount of great figures we're getting these days. It's unbelievable! (for someone who started collecting in the early 70s and was totally blown away when he got two Invictas in 10 years)

Libraraptor

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 01, 2018, 08:59:38 PM

It's exhausting and I tend to avoid reading some threads now that has become just a constant " this company is better than this blah blah blah" over and over again :))

Me too, it's really annoying. I want Beautiful Dinosaurs - no matter who sculpts them or who produces them! I'm always thankful when there are a few that I don't like, because money and space issues make it impossible for me to get all the stuff that I do like anyway ;D.
So (to some people): Stop "hating" one or the other figure and start celebrating the immense amount of great figures we're getting these days. It's unbelievable! (for someone who started collecting in the early 70s and was totally blown away when he got two Invictas in 10 years)

Well said, postsaurischian and Boki! These are the times I used to dream of 25 or so years ago when I bought my first realistic, serious dinosaur figure, Invicta Diplodocus. First figure I didn´t have to be ashamed of standing on the shelves of a 15 year-old dinosaur lover.
This choice, this diversity of great toys, figures and models leaves me breathless nowadays. I want to enjoy nice and interesting figures of prehistoric animals and have a good time with like-minded people. That is why I´ve been contributing to this forum from the beginning. Sometimes I would bash Schleich, sometimes I get a little too political, but I do my best to stop this. And I definitely do not want that kindergarten discussion the Star Wars "fans" lead these days about the new movie and which one is the best. Prequel bashing, Disney bashing. And Let us simply enjoy our prehistoric beasts fandom. It´s as simple as that.

Moodyraptor

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 01, 2018, 08:59:38 PM

I agree.  As someone who reads more than they comment, it gets quite boring, to be honest - you see there are new replies on a thread you've been following, but instead of discussion or news about the figures, it's the same old argument.  All the companies have strengths and weaknesses, and models that I do like and models that I don't like.  What's more, everyone collects for different reasons, and looks for different things in the models they collect, so of course different people are going to have different priorities when it comes to what they look for.  There isn't really a right or wrong answer here, so it just seems pointless to keep arguing about which company is better.  It's entirely in the eye of the beholder, and you're not going to change anybody's mind. 

Jose S.M.

I too think the "this is better than..." discussion is tiring. I admit that I have participated in those, I was trying to make the point that you don't have to bring down thing to show your love for what you like, but that seems to add fuel to the arguments, it's sometimes difficult to read an uncalled or offensive comparison and not defend the thing that's being brought down.
I think if you have to make comparisons, they can be made in a positive way, like saying this company has these strong points and I love them, but this other company has these strengths too, instead of just saying this is better or this sucks. Off course we all have dislikes, nobody is entitled to force someone to like something, the thing is keeping it peaceful and kind of neutral if we have/want to express it.

Minmiminime

I used to find some of the vitriol expressed here quite off-putting, so I observed the forum as a lurker for years, then even when I joined it took me a while to come out of my shell! But, I just skip past the arguments these days, and enjoy the sheer joy that everyone here shares in the hobby ^-^ With such a large range of stunning dinosaur figures out there, and the bottomless wealth of sources of research and information, it's never been a better time to be a collector and armchair palaeontologist!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

PhilSauria

I totally agree with all of the last comment! When I see that sort of negative commentary developing I don't read any further and certainly stay out of it in case I'm caught in the crossfire!

ceratopsian

I too skip over this sort of argument and avoid participating.  Anything said always seems to fan the flames.  I want to enjoy my hobby, not get caught up in angry exchanges.

sauroid

in my case, i love almost all the prehistoric figures (except for maybe most of Schleich's recent deliberately made monstrosities) ever since i started collecting 12 to 15 years ago and started out with a dozen Carnegie and Wild Safari released in the late 90s-early 2000s (not counting the vintage ones i inherited from my dad) that even the outdated and inaccurate ones i find lovely and appealing.
*it seems like some members are in the forum just to engage in arguments judging from some very internet aggressive individuals*
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Sim

I saw a post made today in "The Identification thread" that consisted just of "-", by "Crazyman".  Looking at their posts, it looks like once again a user has decided to remove their own presence on the forum: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2323

As for what this user was called previously, it's Ivysaur as this thread shows: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6945.0

DinoToyForum

It happens every now and again. It's disruptive but there's nothing that can be done about it so long as members have the ability to edit their own posts.  They could have saved themselves a lot of bother by asking me to delete their account and posts for them. They obviously don't want to be a part of the community so I'll delete their account and posts.

CityRaptor

I start to wonder if those are all the same person wanting to mess with us. I mean, come on, they come here, make a few dozen or so posts and then pull this off.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

I don't doubt the two "Charlie" members were just one person, but I think Ivysaur is a different person.  The behaviour from the two "Charlie" accounts was quite distinctive, and Ivysaur didn't do anything that I felt quite resembled that.  Even the way Ivysaur removed their presence from the forum had a different feel to it than the way the "Charlie" accounts did it.

Halichoeres

I don't think this should be banned or anything, but I have to say that when users only log in to post in their collection or art threads, and rarely or never contribute to other discussions, I'm strongly disinclined to visit or comment on their threads. The exception, of course, is people who are involved in making products of interest to the community, such as sculptors and designers of useful web sites.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

I post in my own collection thread rather than Recent Acquisitions because it seems like posting twice and hence unnecessary repetition if I put something in both places, and I don't want to bore people.

But I do try to make comments in places other than just my own collection thread - otherwise there wouldn't be much point in belonging to a forum.

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 21, 2020, 03:31:37 PM
I wouldn't mind if it's only collection posting as it's the dinosaur toy forum but one would at least expect one to post in recent acquisitions once in a while unless they are out of budget or something.
Only posting in the own art thread seems weird however, one could just as well do that on deviantArt, Twitter, Tumblr or any other platform more suited for that and there is no reason to go to a forum designated for toys to do that.

paintingdinos

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 21, 2020, 02:38:48 PM
I don't think this should be banned or anything, but I have to say that when users only log in to post in their collection or art threads, and rarely or never contribute to other discussions, I'm strongly disinclined to visit or comment on their threads. The exception, of course, is people who are involved in making products of interest to the community, such as sculptors and designers of useful web sites.

Guilty  ::)

I like sticking to my own thread because there's minimal cause for a fuss on it. Admittedly I could do better, but I tend to avoid posting because many of the threads I read turn into conversations that I'd rather avoid. Many of the models/brands I enjoy end up being the ones that the majority of the community doesn't seem to like for this reason or that... so rather than sit around shouting into the void I just avoid it. It's easier and less confrontational for me.

But I could make a better effort posting on other people's art and collection threads, at least :P

Syndicate Bias

I just try ti refrain from needless posting on company threads. I don't generally think it's a bad thing to post constantly without any actual news on those threads but it does let me down a bit sometimes when I don't see that there was anything new posted. It's become a bit clear as to who does it as well that I tend to largely ignore the thread until I see the name of other users that are known for having additional information. Which is why I try to have some news when I do post on those topics.

PumperKrickel

Quote from: paintingdinos on October 21, 2020, 04:07:24 PM
Many of the models/brands I enjoy end up being the ones that the majority of the community doesn't seem to like for this reason or that... so rather than sit around shouting into the void I just avoid it. It's easier and less confrontational for me.

This is extremely disheartening to read, especially since it very much mirrors my own experience. One wonders how many potential members have been permanently turned away due to this.

Halichoeres

avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos I definitely wasn't thinking of posting patterns like yours. In your most recent 20 posts (please forgive me for checking), yes, you've posted your painted figures, but you've also given people useful advice on model building and painting, enthused about gaming miniatures, alerted me to products you had reason to believe I'd find interesting, and commented on other threads. A member doesn't have to post prolifically to be a generally positive presence on the forum. Obviously I'm not the arbiter of what the right style of posting is, but I personally have zero problem with people who post infrequently, or with permanent lurkers. What I'm talking about is people who only log in to show off what they just bought or what they just drew.

I appreciate people sharing their thoughts about finding it pointless or stressful to post to company threads because you just see the predictable praise/denigration/bickering. I know I've been guilty of unnecessary snideness myself, but I've been trying to make the effort lately to just ignore general threads about companies I don't like. I try to save the ridicule for my personal collection thread, where nobody else has to read it if they don't want to.

Talking of which, this is an interesting position:

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 21, 2020, 03:31:37 PM
I wouldn't mind if it's only collection posting as it's the dinosaur toy forum but one would at least expect one to post in recent acquisitions once in a while unless they are out of budget or something.

I don't usually post my purchases to the recent acquisitions thread because it would be redundant with my personal thread and feel sort of spammy as a result (similar to ceratopsian in that respect).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.