News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Forum etiquette

Started by Doug Watson, August 07, 2014, 02:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: DC on September 25, 2014, 06:24:08 PM
Well the forum can be harsh beyond what is rational.  Recently I suggested to a company that they should have links to the forum when their products were discussed.  They rejected the idea because even though the links I suggested were positive they could not be sure of the type of future posts would show up.  I have been asked by other companies if people had been paid to trash them on this blog.

Yeah, companies would have to take the rough with the smooth linking to the forum. You could direct them to the reviews on the dinosaur toy blog - if the product is good the review will be good :)

SBell

Quote from: DC on September 25, 2014, 06:24:08 PM
Well the forum can be harsh beyond what is rational.  Recently I suggested to a company that they should have links to the forum when their products were discussed.  They rejected the idea because even though the links I suggested were positive they could not be sure of the type of future posts would show up.  I have been asked by other companies if people had been paid to trash them on this blog.

I've spoken with people from several companies over the years, and that seems to be the general feeling--for every bit of useful information, there is a lot of mean-spirited or repetitive conversation that they don't feel the need to wade through. So they don't bother.

Which is disappointing, because for makers of prehistoric figures, this should be a go-to for them, but instead they either get chased out or fed up.

I'd never heard of concerns of paid trash-talkers, but sometimes it has seemed like people were a little more dedicated to their harsh opinions than would be expected (including, yes, some people really couldn't let go of their criticisms of Dan's new Battats). But I don't think anyone here actually carries enough sway that paying them would have an effect on their market share.

DC

I did suggest the toy Blog but fallout from the forum.  It is not just the risk of bad reviews you really do not want to publicly be associated with that kind of trashing of your competitors.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

DC

I am glad the issue has come up.  I cannot suggest a solution except open conversations like this about how to exchange views with respect.  That is a good skill set to have generally.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

tyrantqueen

QuoteI have been asked by other companies if people had been paid to trash them on this blog.
Ouch.

DinoLord

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 25, 2014, 07:43:38 PM
QuoteI have been asked by other companies if people had been paid to trash them on this blog.
Ouch.

^ Seconded.  :-\

As for me I only write positive reviews. The way I see it if I don't like the figure I wouldn't have it in the first place. Even if I did why would I spend time writing on it? It's a lot easier to say what you like about a figure than list all the things you hate.

tyrantqueen

I always liked the atmosphere at the STS forums. They don't have strict rules but they are so nice and friendly. I hope (and wish) that we could take a leaf out of their book in that regard. Maybe it's because of the nature of the stuff we collect. We know the appearance of modern animals for certain, but when dealing with prehistoric life there is always going to be an amount of speculation. And that's what people disagree on.

DinoLord

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 25, 2014, 08:19:04 PM
I always liked the atmosphere at the STS forums. They don't have strict rules but they are so nice and friendly. I hope (and wish) that we could take a leaf out of their book in that regard. Maybe it's because of the nature of the stuff we collect. We know the appearance of modern animals for certain, but when dealing with prehistoric life there is always going to be an amount of speculation. And that's what people disagree on.

That's definitely a part of it. But as I've said before in this thread, if one truly collected only the most accurate models then their collection would be pretty darn small. Though accuracy is certainly important and something that must be addressed, it's not the end-all be-all. There are lots of figures I have that aren't completely accurate that I bought because they look pleasing.

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 25, 2014, 01:37:22 PM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on September 25, 2014, 10:21:28 AM
:(

I feel like we owe him an apology if it hasn't been done already. He knows we love his dinos overwhelmingly, and that two or three kids aren't gonna change that.
Dan left because he dint wanna buy your stuff !!! ;D ;D

D: BUt I wanted to buy his! As a matter of fact I'm heading over to Target to buy all the ones I'm missing and a Safari Dillow for the Dillow shoot.

But yeah guys, be nice to one another!

Paleogene Pals

If I don't like a particular kit, I don't buy it. And, since I don't own it, there would be little reason for me to accurately assess it on this forum. Therefore, I probably won't be criticizing any model or figure too strongly.

But, sometimes it is good to point out an inaccuracy in a constructive manner. For instance, someone pointed out the anatomical inaccuracies in a piece I was working on. It allowed me to correct my mistakes. Just do it with courtesy and respect.

But to trash something just for the sake of trashing it, that just isn't playing nice.  :(

amargasaurus cazaui

Someone told me once if you criticize anything be sure to have an answer how to resolve the problem in hand as well. That sometimes also helps.....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Hynerpeton

Did i miss something? So forum member who goes by another name, we know as Dan left the forum? Anyone on my buddy's list feel free to pm me. Thanks
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Paleogene Pals

I agree. Whether on this forum or in life, if you are going to be critical, you better have answers for making it better.

Libraraptor

KEEP CALM
AND
COLLECT
DINOSAUR TOYS

sauroid

Quote from: Libraraptor on September 27, 2014, 09:34:01 PM
KEEP CALM
AND
COLLECT
DINOSAUR TOYS
i agree. i just hope some DTF members would just stop bringing their real life anger/frustrations/bitterness into the forum. i want my DTF to be free of negativity. a hobby forum can exist without the bad vibes.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: sauroid on September 29, 2014, 09:25:55 AM
Quote from: Libraraptor on September 27, 2014, 09:34:01 PM
KEEP CALM
AND
COLLECT
DINOSAUR TOYS
i agree. i just hope some DTF members would just stop bringing their real life anger/frustrations/bitterness into the forum. i want my DTF to be free of negativity. a hobby forum can exist without the bad vibes.

I feel that those days are truly behind us now :) I haven't felt any "bad vibes" or seen any questionable posts on the forum for a while. Especially with the diorama contest in full swing - that always seems to unite us in our shared love of dinosaur toys  8)

sauroid

i hope some folks would refrain from double or triple posting. gets kinda annoying. say whatever you want to say in one post, or if you forgot to say something, just edit.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

triceratops83

Quote from: sauroid on December 12, 2014, 05:25:43 AM
i hope some folks would refrain from double or triple posting. gets kinda annoying. say whatever you want to say in one post, or if you forgot to say something, just edit.

I guess that's me. Sorry.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 12, 2014, 05:27:05 AM

I guess that's me. Sorry.
I do it too sometimes. I guess I'm just in a hurry. I apologise also.

sauroid

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 12, 2014, 07:29:05 AM
Quote from: triceratops83 on December 12, 2014, 05:27:05 AM
guess that's me. Sorry.
I do it too sometimes. I guess I'm just in a hurry. I apologise also.
well if it's occasional then it's ok. :)
what gets on one's nerves is if it's done almost every single time a person posts.
alright people, let's just move on...

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.