News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Forum etiquette

Started by Doug Watson, August 07, 2014, 02:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I wish some members wouldn't make the same post in more than one thread when it isn't necessary.  I've been encountering this quite a bit lately, and it's annoying.  I stopped following some threads because the same posts kept being made in them which was off-putting.

tyrantqueen

Yeah, I agree. Especially posting huge walls of photos in multiple threads. Just keep it to one thread if you have a lot of photos. I've started adding people to my ignore who do this.

Rain

My apologies for (sorta) singling someone out but I can think of 3 separate threads that should just be merged into one. They all contain the same posts and pictures.

sauroid

also those posting pointless/empty/nonsense spammy replies to increase post counts
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Doug Watson

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 12, 2014, 05:27:05 AM
Quote from: sauroid on December 12, 2014, 05:25:43 AM
i hope some folks would refrain from double or triple posting. gets kinda annoying. say whatever you want to say in one post, or if you forgot to say something, just edit.

I guess that's me. Sorry.

I don't think I have done it but it really doesn't bother me. Plus if you are adding new information to a post that has already been read if you just edit your original post it won't show up as a new post and that information may be missed by someone like me who scans the new posts listing.

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on April 25, 2016, 03:26:21 PM
Quote from: triceratops83 on December 12, 2014, 05:27:05 AM
Quote from: sauroid on December 12, 2014, 05:25:43 AM
i hope some folks would refrain from double or triple posting. gets kinda annoying. say whatever you want to say in one post, or if you forgot to say something, just edit.

I guess that's me. Sorry.

I don't think I have done it but it really doesn't bother me. Plus if you are adding new information to a post that has already been read if you just edit your original post it won't show up as a new post and that information may be missed by someone like me who scans the new posts listing.

If I'm remembering right, when sauroid made that post a few members were making double/triple posts often, within very little time of each other, and the posts were the member's opinion split into one sentence per post?  I did find that kind of double/triple posting a bit annoying, but I haven't seen this happen for a long time now.  I've never seen you do that, Doug.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on April 25, 2016, 03:48:20 PM
If I'm remembering right, when sauroid made that post a few members were making double/triple posts often, within very little time of each other, and the posts were the member's opinion split into one sentence per post?  I did find that kind of double/triple posting a bit annoying, but I haven't seen this happen for a long time now.  I've never seen you do that, Doug.

I didn't see it as being aimed at me and I can't say I have actually seen it but I doubt it would bother me. Again since I am not a sophisticated user I would probably miss the new information if it was added as an edit. The only things that really bother me on here in order of importance to me are 1. rudeness and a distant 2. reposting of images in a reply and I think both of those have been reduced greatly by regular users.

DinoToyForum

If you spot duplicate posts, flag them to a moderator. Only one is necessary.

amargasaurus cazaui

I know I sometimes duplicate by showing something in new acquistions and then I post it into the psittacosaur thread or something similar. I have seen Boki do the same, with something newly acquired in posting it there and then in his own thread, or perhaps the Battat or other appropriate thread. Is that what is being referred to here?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

triceratops83

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 26, 2016, 02:56:24 AM
I know I sometimes duplicate by showing something in new acquistions and then I post it into the psittacosaur thread or something similar. I have seen Boki do the same, with something newly acquired in posting it there and then in his own thread, or perhaps the Battat or other appropriate thread. Is that what is being referred to here?

I do that, too - I post a series of photos in my collection thread and may put a particular photo up again in the relevant thread, if it is currently of interest.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

docronnie

I also, sometimes post in the acquisition thread and on a relevant topic, to guide collectors on what to look for.

Recently, I was asked to take a photo of the Planeta De Agostini markings in the ID thread, so I obliged and at the same time posted the photo on the De Agostini thread.

Does this irritate some of the members here? If so, please say so and post your suggestions as to how to handle this better.  Thanks and God bless! :-)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

tyrantqueen

I don't mind if it's a small amount of photos that are posted in several places. But huge amounts of photos (let's say 15+) being posting in SEVERAL threads at the exact same time and it becomes painful to scroll through (my main method of accessing the forum is through the "recent" tab).  Thankfully there's only a minute amount of people who do this.

QuoteIf you spot duplicate posts, flag them to a moderator. Only one is necessary.

Thank you, will do this :)

Sim

amargasaurus cazaui, triceratops83, docronnie, I wasn't referring to what you described.  I was referring to posts members make that are basically the same post made in more than one thread.  For example, posting the same set of photos of a new Papo figure in the Papo thread, the Papo new for 2016 thread and that members collection thread.  Another example is the three threads for a member's line of figures where there are lots of posts by that member and another member that are basically the same in all three threads.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on April 26, 2016, 12:33:15 PM
amargasaurus cazaui, triceratops83, docronnie, I wasn't referring to what you described.  I was referring to posts members make that are basically the same post made in more than one thread.  For example, posting the same set of photos of a new Papo figure in the Papo thread, the Papo new for 2016 thread and that members collection thread.  Another example is the three threads for a member's line of figures where there are lots of posts by that member and another member that are basically the same in all three threads.

So is two okay and three or more bad? I have done likewise posted in the new acquisitions thread and then posted it in my collections thread. I think I will just post it in my collections thread from now on rather than risk being reported to to a moderator.

Simon

Quote from: Doug Watson on April 26, 2016, 02:44:18 PM

So is two okay and three or more bad? I have done likewise posted in the new acquisitions thread and then posted it in my collections thread. I think I will just post it in my collections thread from now on rather than risk being reported to to a moderator.

I seem to recall one member who posts a photo in the "new acquisitions" thread to alert folks about his new acquisition, along with a comment/link to "more photos" in his collection thread.  That seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable way to go about things.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Simon on April 26, 2016, 03:57:42 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on April 26, 2016, 02:44:18 PM

I seem to recall one member who posts a photo in the "new acquisitions" thread to alert folks about his new acquisition, along with a comment/link to "more photos" in his collection thread.  That seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable way to go about things.

That's a good idea. I think I'll do that with just a link and no photo since I usually only post one photo anyway.

Kayakasaurus

Perhaps there should be a "safe space" version of the Dinotoyblog where all the models are rated 5 stars.  :))
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

tyrantqueen

Sim

Doug, I don't remember you making duplicate posts in both your collection thread and the recent acquisitions thread, so I don't know if your posts were basically the same....  I know at times it can be useful to have certain things in more than one thread, just like I know double/triple/etc. posting can be useful in certain circumstances.  In both cases though I feel a small number of members have done these things in an unnecessary way which wastes time - that is what bothered me.

With regards to the double/etc. posting, it seemed like what was being posted was being done in bits separated only by a few seconds/minutes and given the content of the posts it seemed like the members weren't trying to say everything (which were just short sentences) in one post.  I think sauroid was trying to encourage members not to do this kind of consecutive posting.  Based on what I remember, a couple of members did this frequently for about two weeks until sauroid made that post.

As far as I've seen, when Bokisaurus has made more than one post about the same acquisitions his posts haven't been the same - both the photos and what he says differ in each post, with the post with less photos saying to check out another thread for more photos.  The only time I can remember seeing amargasaurus cazaui make more than one post about the same acquisition, what he said in the two posts wasn't the same.  triceratops83 posted a series of photos in his collection thread and then just the one relevant photo in another thread, his two posts are clearly different and with different purposes.  docronnie posted a photo of a figure's markings in both the ID thread and the De Agostini thread.  What he says in each post is different and reflects the different purposes of the posts - one is to show another member what they wanted to see and the other is providing information on a figure in the thread about the line it belongs to.  Information can easily become buried in the past in threads like the ID or recent acquisitions thread, so having information about figures in the threads for their line is helpful.

What bothers me is my time being used seeing things get repeated when it's clearly unnecessary.  I'm not sure there's a one size fits all definition for what I'm referring to.  The best definition I can think of is when a member makes more than one post with the exact same purpose.  I'm referring to things like this:

- Making the same post with 10 photos of the latest Papo T. rex repaint in three threads, two of which were Papo threads.

- Having three threads for the same line of figures and posting the same things to the point of having the same conversations in all three threads.  There have been some different posts in each thread but now the same things are being said in all three.  So much unnecessary repetition has made me unable to continue following them.

- Duplicating posts about Rebor products in more than one Rebor thread.

- A member making two threads for photos of their figures outside, and most of their photos being posted in both threads at the same time.

- Posting the exact same thread in several sections of the forum.

sauroid

just a suggestion: the mods should delete inactive/unupdated ads more than a year old. i dont know if im the only one annoyed to see old ads being revived by noob members.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.