News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

That would be cool but a fully feathered Tyrannosaurus would be much cooler ;D. Which reminds me, I have a suggestion for a figure for the Terra series: Yutyrannus.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Zelan

There are really very few feathered T rexes of any kind out there so I too would love to see a feathered version.

My suggestion would be for something similar to the kaiyodo capsule q T rex:

John

Quote from: Simon on August 22, 2014, 12:54:27 AM
Dan - I have a suggestion for the Trex, it may not be popular but with the right kind of paint it would turn the Battat TRex into the biggest "head-turner" dinotoy figure out there.

You probably know where I am going with this .... no, I am NOT saying you should feather the entire figure, BUT ... giving the Trex a little "mane" would make it into something  incredible - here is an example of what it could look like:

Personally,I would very much prefer the Tyrannosaurus as it was originally* but perhaps like the Japenese Favorite Collection does,maybe do a feathered version and have the original non-feathered available too.
*Well as close to "original" as a 3rd version can get that is. ;)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Takama

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 22, 2014, 01:30:06 AM
That would be cool but a fully feathered Tyrannosaurus would be much cooler ;D. Which reminds me, I have a suggestion for a figure for the Terra series: Yutyrannus.

Yes Im sure we all would love one to be made by this company.   

But I don't think Dan would feather a T.Rex, and im sure he would have his reasons.   

DinoLord

Quote from: John on August 22, 2014, 01:40:09 AM
Personally,I would very much prefer the Tyrannosaurus as it was originally* but perhaps like the Japenese Favorite Collection does,maybe do a feathered version and have the original non-feathered available too.
*Well as close to "original" as version 3 can get that is. ;)

If Dan/Battat does end up wanting to do a feathered Rex I like this approach as well.

stargatedalek

for those figures where it was an issue, it would be nice to have the series 1 pieces re-posed rather than having the series 2 strange foot bases (which were only minimally effective anyway)

DinoLord

I think Dan has already said somewhere that the version 3 theropods would be reissued

John

Quote from: DinoLord on August 22, 2014, 02:00:17 AM
I think Dan has already said somewhere that the version 3 theropods would be reissued
Yes,he did say that.The reissued Dilophosaurus and Tyrannosaurus will be the 3rd versions. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 22, 2014, 01:59:01 AM
for those figures where it was an issue, it would be nice to have the series 1 pieces re-posed rather than having the series 2 strange foot bases (which were only minimally effective anyway)
Yeah, I don't get why they did that instead of just adding a full base like Collecta's been doing lately.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

John

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 22, 2014, 02:14:15 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 22, 2014, 01:59:01 AM
Yeah, I don't get why they did that instead of just adding a full base like Collecta's been doing lately.
It's more cost effective than using more material for the bases.As it is,they are saving tremendously by re-using old molds.Even if Dan and Battat decided not to make any changes or tweaks at all,they will still be much better than most of the models out there now anyway. :)

stargatedalek

personally full bases on toys (not an issue with display pieces) that are permanently affixed are sort of a pet peeve of mine, probably stems from how difficult it is to find bird figures without them

Takama

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 22, 2014, 03:39:24 AM
personally full bases on toys (not an issue with display pieces) that are permanently affixed are sort of a pet peeve of mine, probably stems from how difficult it is to find bird figures without them

Im the opposite, I rather have a base, then a figure that topples over constantly. And I Question Why must they not make small species of Dinosaur, when they make small species of Birds l(ike Chickens) with little bases on them.

stargatedalek

As CollectA has shown us its entirely possible to get a theropod with accurate proportions to balance on its own feet ;)
A few companies have even given us the best of both, with a figure that can come off its base if desired
A permanent base drastically limits what one can do with a figure

Those chickens always bug me, the annoying bit is how the bases weren't needed anyway, I've chopped the base of more than enough to know they stand fine without

Simon

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 22, 2014, 05:18:36 AM
As CollectA has shown us its entirely possible to get a theropod with accurate proportions to balance on its own feet ;)
A few companies have even given us the best of both, with a figure that can come off its base if desired

Those chickens always bug me, the annoying bit is how the bases weren't needed anyway, I've chopped the base of more than enough to know they stand fine without

Well....if you want to be accurate, Collecta has been more successful in that regard, but some of their sculpts leave a bit to be desired feet-wise - as good as the Carcharodontosaurus is, the feet are still enlarged and the claws on the feet are ridiculously, cartoonishly huge in particular ...

Patrx

Quote from: Simon on August 22, 2014, 08:31:36 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 22, 2014, 05:18:36 AM

Well....if you want to be accurate, Collecta has been more successful in that regard, but some of their sculpts leave a bit to be desired feet-wise - as good as the Carcharodontosaurus is, the feet are still enlarged and the claws on the feet are ridiculously, cartoonishly huge in particular ...

Indeed, that's actually the main reason I've not yet bought one. Personally, I'm all for permanent bases, but that may be because I don't do anything with the figures aside from placing them on a shelf and looking at them. The removable bases that Favorite uses are a great idea.

Megalosaurus

Hello Mr. Dan.

I know I'm swimming against the flow, but please DO NOT ADD FEATERS to any.
If doing so, you are taking out the retro-felling, killing the nostalgia factor. The theropods are beautiful just as they are.
If people want a modern interpretation of theropods, then NEW sculpts must be done, not adultered reissues.
And there's no direct evidence of feathering in TRex, Utha, nor Galli just inferences [insert a TON of pages of debate here  ^-^ ].
And if you retool the models, you are forcing collectors to still pay hundreds of dollars for the originals.
If you want for example retool the stegosaurus tail is ok to me, but I'll buy it even if it has 8 spikes. But please DO NOT ADD FEATERS to any.

Thanks you.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Gwangi

Quote from: Megalosaurus on August 22, 2014, 05:17:17 PM
If you want for example retool the stegosaurus tail is ok to me, but I'll buy it even if it has 8 spikes. But please DO NOT ADD FEATERS to any.

Wouldn't that kill the retro/nostalgia factor for that figure?  ;)

Seijun

Everyone keeps mentioning how the originals cost "hundreds of dollars".. but have you seen the prices lately? Last week a MIB dippy ended at $99 with no bids. Most figures seem to be going for under $50-60 now and that includes mint ones. Prices rise and fall on these all the time. Prices this year have been the lowest I have seen them since I started collecting. I dont know what the prices were before I started collecting, but I have never seen any besides the dippy, rex, and acro sell for multiple hundreds, and that was only if they were mint with tags or factory sealed.

If Dan chooses to not add feathers to anything, it should be because he and the paleontologists he works with agree that there is not enough evidence to support it. I would argue that there is enough evidence but that is not a discussion to have here. I have never seen the original battats as retro anyway. They have always been valuable to collectors because they are very accurate, even to this day. I believe that they should stay as accurate as Dan thinks he can make them :) Utah and Gali are really the only ones that I think people would strongly argue should have feathers, and if they do get feathers, I dont think anyone will have trouble getting the old unfeathered versions. Utah and Gali are not difficult to get on ebay, being two of the least valuable battats (perhaps because they dont have featers?  ;D ).

I think it would be cool to have a fully feathered rex like the Kaiyodo version (I am personally not a fan of half-feathered dinosaurs), if he gets feathers added  I would love to see this alternative interpenetration of rex in toy form. If not, then I would beg Dan to at least make a Yutyrannus, lol.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

stargatedalek

I can understand it might "kill the retro factor", but if the point of the line is accuracy, than frankly it would be false advertising to claim such and yet (knowingly) include inaccurate figures
if anything, I'd think extensive retooling would simply "up the retro factor" in the originals ;)

as for no direct evidence, cladistics may not be direct, but they are the best we have, so theres no point in denying them
dromaeosaurs in particular are practically guaranteed to be fully feathered, but artistic liberties can be taken with gallimimus and tyrannosaurus as to how much feathers they are depicted with

no offense, but to me it sounds like you are asking to get the originals for cheap prices, rather than suggesting ways to update them

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on August 22, 2014, 06:30:50 PM
Quote from: Megalosaurus on August 22, 2014, 05:17:17 PM

Wouldn't that kill the retro/nostalgia factor for that figure?  ;)

:-X  .... ;D    Really I'm not fond of that stegosaurus so I was much more flexible on changing it. But now that Mr. Dan explained why does it have 8 spikes I'll buy it like is if it is reissued.

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.