News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dinosaur toy forum diorama contest 2014 - poll

Started by DinoToyForum, September 28, 2014, 08:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for your top eight [8] dioramas

1. Death row
6 (4.6%)
2. Dining on the river
4 (3.1%)
3. Lunch on the wing
13 (9.9%)
4. Life in the Precambrian
11 (8.4%)
5. Migration
29 (22.1%)
6. A taller neck amongst the tall grass
4 (3.1%)
7. The deadly trap of the woods
4 (3.1%)
8. Easy prey?
9 (6.9%)
9. Where did he go?
14 (10.7%)
10. Dry season prowling
24 (18.3%)
11. Molṑn Lavé
3 (2.3%)
12. Bachelor of the pines
21 (16%)
13. Spinosaurus hunting
7 (5.3%)
14. Uninvited guest
5 (3.8%)
15. Separated from the herd/storm is coming
33 (25.2%)
16. The chase
10 (7.6%)
17. Starving in North Africa
17 (13%)
18. A desert standoff
16 (12.2%)
19. Here is where I met your mother, son
31 (23.7%)
20. The stealth approach of an apex predator
31 (23.7%)
21. Heatstroke
26 (19.8%)
22. Narcissus
8 (6.1%)
23. Triassic swim lessons
4 (3.1%)
24. Marching on
3 (2.3%)
25. The new hunter
8 (6.1%)
26. Attack from the depths
3 (2.3%)
27. Moonlight hunt
6 (4.6%)
28. The last supper
24 (18.3%)
29. Between a rock and a hard place
14 (10.7%)
30. This ocean ain't big enough for the both of us
32 (24.4%)
31. The intruder
24 (18.3%)
32. On the beach
48 (36.6%)
33. Coastal Carnotaurus
1 (0.8%)
34. Rexy's nest
2 (1.5%)
35. An early bird
12 (9.2%)
36. The fatal hour
10 (7.6%)
37. Unexpected gifts in the river
9 (6.9%)
38. Spino - great - dino
10 (7.6%)
39. Swampland misery
10 (7.6%)
40. Clever girl
4 (3.1%)
41. Horrible horn horde
56 (42.7%)
42. Hunt in the mud
6 (4.6%)
43. This slope will be fatal for one of them
5 (3.8%)
44. Cornered
9 (6.9%)
45. Treetop flyer
2 (1.5%)
46. Dilophosaurus vs Massospondylus
18 (13.7%)
47. Unfortunate showdown
29 (22.1%)
48. Day of migration
9 (6.9%)
49. Triassic baskers
6 (4.6%)
50. Watch your chops
3 (2.3%)
51. Sun down. The hunt begins
10 (7.6%)
52. Respectful distance
4 (3.1%)
53. That looks delicious!
2 (1.5%)
54. Brontosaurus brawl
6 (4.6%)
55. Cretaceous cliffs
17 (13%)
56. Desert duel
2 (1.5%)
57. Fearsome tyrant's pass
21 (16%)
58. Breakfast at Tiffany
13 (9.9%)
59. Can't run
5 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Voting closed: October 28, 2014, 07:44:16 PM

Iohannes

Quote from: Gwangi on October 30, 2014, 09:42:48 PM
Quote from: Iohannes on October 30, 2014, 06:49:57 PM
Hello everyone  :))

This is my firts post on this great forum, and it's three years I read the reviews on the blog.

Congratulations to the winners and to all who took part to this competition.

I am the author of the diorama #17, "Starving in North Africa". By the way, I would like to thank those who liked it, like Simon and federreptil (unfortunately it gathered only few votes).

Soon I'll tell how I made it.

Welcome to the site. I loved your entry, it got my vote. I am surprised it didn't get more.
Thanks a lot Gwangi. As I said to Manatee, too bad it got so few votes: I thought and hoped that it could be liked by many forumites, especially if you consider that this year Godzilla was back in cinemas. But, unfortunately, its vintage touch has proven more of a handicap than a plus.

tyrantqueen

QuoteDear tyrantqueen,

I used nothing but a printed image of an Alanqa saharica, a pterosaur that coexisted with Carcharodontosaurus and Spinosaurus. The crocodilian in the shallow water is a Sarchosuchus imperator.

I paid attention to the scientifical accuracy of my diorama, and so I did when I voted for the poll. It was one of my two criteria of vote (the other is the quality of the photo: lighting, composition, and so on).

Thanks for the reply. But uh...isn't that against the rules?

Ikessauro

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 01, 2014, 10:21:21 PM
QuoteDear tyrantqueen,

I used nothing but a printed image of an Alanqa saharica, a pterosaur that coexisted with Carcharodontosaurus and Spinosaurus. The crocodilian in the shallow water is a Sarchosuchus imperator.

I paid attention to the scientifical accuracy of my diorama, and so I did when I voted for the poll. It was one of my two criteria of vote (the other is the quality of the photo: lighting, composition, and so on).

Thanks for the reply. But uh...isn't that against the rules?

I think the use of any form of painting/drawing is not allowed in the contest, specially if you're not the artist. Unless you paint a background or something like that yourself, doesn't make any sense, after all, it's a diorama contest, now a drawing contest. If the art used is not yours you are stepping out of the rules, because the photoshop use is permitted if the original photos are your own. That's why I didn't vote for this diorama. I liked the idea a lot, the lighting and mood, but I notice it was using a piece of paleoart, so... :-\

tyrantqueen

QuoteI think the use of any form of painting/drawing is not allowed in the contest, specially if you're not the artist. Unless you paint a background or something like that yourself, doesn't make any sense, after all, it's a diorama contest, now a drawing contest. If the art used is not yours you are stepping out of the rules, because the photoshop use is permitted if the original photos are your own. That's why I didn't vote for this diorama. I liked the idea a lot, the lighting and mood, but I notice it was using a piece of paleoart, so... :-\
Yes, you're correct. I believe one of the rules was that one cannot use an image that has been published previously. I did a search of the forum and I had to dig for a while to find it written specifically. Maybe it should have been specified a little more clearly before the contest began? Maybe Iohannes just didn't know...

Iohannes

I 'm really sorry, I thought it wasn't against the rules. If I knew I would have made or drawn an Alanqa by myself. I did it in good faith. Really sorry. Next year I'll pay more attention.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Iohannes on November 02, 2014, 01:58:28 PM
I 'm really sorry, I thought it wasn't against the rules. If I knew I would have made or drawn an Alanqa by myself. I did it in good faith. Really sorry. Next year I'll pay more attention.

No problem, these things happen, I just thought I had to point it out to avoid another case like this in future contests. Maybe next year Dr. Admin can add a new rule or specify this more clearly in the existing rules.

amargasaurus cazaui

The rules were posted in the opening thread for the contest as normal. They state....

-Dioramas have to be new (never published on the web before) and you must have produced the diorama yourself. Stealing somebody else's diorama will result in disqualification.

-Photoshop is allowed, but the original photograph(s) must be your own.

Myself at least, I see nothing too ambigous or complicated about that...seems pretty basic to me. I agree people miss things and stuff happens and no big deal..but I do think Dr. Admin had it out there pretty clear and direct
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Sim

Quote from: Aram-Rex on October 29, 2014, 01:35:48 PM

QuoteThere are valid reasons for not liking prehistoric animals by Papo, I mentioned a number in my previous post.  Another relevant reason is some are poor representations of the animal they are supposed to represent (e.g.: the Velociraptors, Pteranodon, Plesiosaurus, Tylosaurus).  So I find it disrespectful to say it's strange to not like Papo figures, because there are valid and relevant reasons for disliking a Papo figure.  There's nothing strange about it.  I don't always agree with what some people like or dislike about certain figures, but I don't say it's strange as I think that wouldn't be an open way to think.

I hope you can understand where I'm coming from.  I don't want any hard feelings.

If you say so. Then what company do you prefer most?
I'm not sure why you said, "If you say so"?  The prehistoric animal figures I like the most are most of Battat's.  I like their style, their high level of accuracy and detail, and how they all have their own unique personalities and look like animals that once lived!  I also like that they are all at the same scale.  It's inspiring to look at them!  A lot of effort and research is put into each of the figures and it shows!  That's another reason why I like them.  There are figures by other companies I like too, like the Papo Carnotaurus, but Battat makes the ones I like most.  My second favourite line is probably Wild Safari.

How did you obtain the location for your diorama?  Did you make any of it?

Ikessauro

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 02, 2014, 06:21:59 PM
The rules were posted in the opening thread for the contest as normal. They state....

-Dioramas have to be new (never published on the web before) and you must have produced the diorama yourself. Stealing somebody else's diorama will result in disqualification.

Myself at least, I see nothing too ambigous or complicated about that...seems pretty basic to me. I agree people miss things and stuff happens and no big deal..but I do think Dr. Admin had it out there pretty clear and direct

I too think it's pretty clear, but one could misunderstand the "Photoshop" rule, thinking the photo of the diorama and the figures must be your own, but it's ok to add pieces of art in it to make a few details. So the person is using his/her own picture, but applying sections of paleo illustration to it thinking it's ok.

A.Garcia

I wanted to share some comments about the dioramas. The variety was really fun to see, and choosing became difficult, but for what it's worth here's my votes:

8. Easy prey?- This seemed very natural, like the toys were in their ecosystem going about their business, while providing some story/suspense.
10. Dry season prowling- Nice composition; the theme is well-supported by the dry trees, the look of the prowler, and what seems like a forest fire smoldering in the background.
15. Separated from the herd- I really love this one with its attention to foliage, overall atmosphere/color, and the cryptic predator was a surprise once I looked at it long enough! I'd like to know how the background was achieved.
18. A desert standoff- A great concept- I had thought about picture dioramas compared to museum dioramas- I'm glad someone took this idea and really went with it! It makes you think about the size of the animals.
30. This ocean...- Very striking for a closeup image; the subtle details and blur bring it to life.
32. On the beach- A nice portrait of this figure- its colors blend beautifully with the surroundings, and the toy's angle makes a nice composition.
57. Fearsome tyrant's pass-  :P I gave myself a vote for my work, and I do like it...
58. Breakfast at Tiffany- This has nice water, composition, and also a sense of unsettling savagery, like you might feel when actually viewing such large carnivores. A good use for the stego corpse.

Among my brother's (who didn't vote) favorites were 49.Triassic baskers for its languid atmosphere and simple composition, and 55.Cretaceous cliffs with its wildlife-photo quality/feel. I also liked 28.The last supper with its sculpted dinos, 9.Where did he go? was fun, 41.Horrible horn horde has nice customs, 21.Heatstroke has a sympathetic protagonist... they were all interesting contributions...

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Ikessauro on November 02, 2014, 10:31:00 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 02, 2014, 06:21:59 PM

I too think it's pretty clear, but one could misunderstand the "Photoshop" rule, thinking the photo of the diorama and the figures must be your own, but it's ok to add pieces of art in it to make a few details. So the person is using his/her own picture, but applying sections of paleo illustration to it thinking it's ok.
Just my take but even that is covered by stating..." but the original photograph(s) must be your own."   Notice the option for plural, implying all photographs must be your own. To me there just isnt alot of wiggle room there...
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Libraraptor

Quote from: A.Garcia on November 03, 2014, 07:40:13 PM

8. Easy prey?- This seemed very natural, like the toys were in their ecosystem going about their business, while providing some story/suspense.

Thank you for this positive feedback!

Zhuchengotyrant

Mine was #1, any critiques, comments, suggestions for next year?
-Zhuchengotyrant

kreativtek

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on December 21, 2014, 08:35:06 PM

I like it, but I think the picture would look better if the lighting was more dramatic. You do not need to take the photo at sunset (that's cliche), but even afterwards you can change the brightness or contrast to add some visual suspense to the composition. Moreover, the scene does not look very realistic to me. I understand that carnivores could hunt each other, but more often they would go for a lazy plant-muncher.

As for the contest in the general, I want to congratulate the winners as well as all participants. You did a great job! There is one picture that I particularly like, though. "The stealth approach of an apex predator", number 20 on the list, is my favourite because of the disturbing feeling of danger that it gives off through the composition, lighting, and terrifying realism. I also admire the excellent choice of figure.
I do not know who took this photo, but if you're reading this, I salute you - it's amazing.

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: kreativtek on December 21, 2014, 08:50:47 PM
Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on December 21, 2014, 08:35:06 PM

I like it, but I think the picture would look better if the lighting was more dramatic. You do not need to take the photo at sunset (that's cliche), but even afterwards you can change the brightness or contrast to add some visual suspense to the composition. Moreover, the scene does not look very realistic to me. I understand that carnivores could hunt each other, but more often they would go for a lazy plant-muncher.

Thank you for the tips and kind words of encouragement!
-Zhuchengotyrant

kreativtek

My pleasure! Keep up the great work and you may be the winner next year. I keep my fingers crossed for all of you, guys. It's truly amazing what you can do with just a camera and a few dinosaur models.

Zhuchengotyrant

-Zhuchengotyrant

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.