Author Topic: Knock-off figures - general discussion  (Read 98680 times)

stargatedalek

• Holocene survivor
  • Kawaii in the streets, and everywhere else I hope.
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Fratercula arctica
Re: Knock-off figures - general discussion
« Reply #1000 on: July 01, 2020, 12:50:27 PM »
Still looks identical to me. Nothing in your images shows the size. Do they have openings for the peg? it's pretty far along the length relative to the modern fish so I can't tell from that photo.

Halichoeres

• Social media team
  • Ultimate survivor
  • Ichthyologist, illustrator, urbanist
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Brembodus
« Reply #1001 on: July 02, 2020, 02:52:29 AM »
For the two to be the same size @Flaffy would have to have really tiny hands. And the hole in the belly would be visible in his ventral photo. These are definitely not Colorata product.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

My trade/sale/wishlist thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3299.0

Sometimes I draw pictures: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4856.0

Flaffy

• Carboniferous survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Sinoceratops
« Reply #1002 on: July 02, 2020, 08:04:46 AM »
For the two to be the same size @Flaffy would have to have really tiny hands. And the hole in the belly would be visible in his ventral photo. These are definitely not Colorata product.
Indeed, my hands are certainly not petite. The entire fish is 12.5cm long. Dunno how a figure of that size would manage to fit inside a compact Colorata box.

From ebay, definitely not a palm sized figure.

vs the bootleg:

Do they have openings for the peg? it's pretty far along the length relative to the modern fish so I can't tell from that photo.

Don't know about you, but this (the peg hole) to me is certainly not that far along the body.
From the lack of peg holes, the lower quality paint job, the size, and the fact that it's made by a chinese company (that I don't have the name of currently) notorious for bootlegs should be a pretty clear indicator that this is not the real deal. 

Martwad

• View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Brachiosaurus
« Reply #1003 on: July 02, 2020, 03:20:23 PM »
This would be a loose term of bootleg.  Since it is twice the size, they didn't mold an actual piece to make a copy.  It is obviously highly influenced by the Colorata model, but changed enough that I'm not sure any nation's copyright laws would kick in, even if it weren't made in China.  I'm not sure why they wouldn't have changed more when going through the effort to make their own mold, and giving it a different paint scheme would have been something even simpler.

MLMjp

• Ordovician survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #1004 on: July 02, 2020, 04:55:54 PM »
This is what transformers fans would call "an Oversized KO".

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 04:56:14 PM by MLMjp »

sauroid

• Cretaceous survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Troodon
  • v.1 status and posts: i don't remember
« Reply #1005 on: July 03, 2020, 03:26:06 PM »
Flaffy's "KO" figure looks very nice and desirable.

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.