News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 03, 2014, 05:29:30 PM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on October 03, 2014, 05:22:51 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 03, 2014, 05:11:00 PM
QuoteWell supporting a knockoff company would be going "woo! Go knockoff company!".
No, only in a literal sense.

Maybe, but would you rather pay $15 for a dinosaur, when you can find the exact same on for $4?
It's not the "exact same". The bootleggers take a toy and they put it in a mold. They're literally making a copy of a copy. That means a loss of detail. The paint application is often poor as well. And there is no safety testing. See here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2134.msg56813#msg56813

I would rather the $15 because I know what I'm getting.

In addition to those very valid reasons, paying the extra eleven dollars would mean I could support a company that's doing the work to make things I want to buy.
If, for example, I go to Safari LTD's Facebook page and say, "Hey, I really like the look of the new Yutyrannus you guys made, please continue making models of interesting and recently-discovered dinosaurs", someone at the company may indeed read it and appreciate it. But if the new model doesn't sell well when it hits store shelves, if I and others buy inexpensive duplicates from other manufacturers instead, Safari will see those low sales numbers. That's a lot louder than a Facebook comment. Those numbers aren't going to encourage them to make more models like the Yutyrannus. Maybe they'll go back to something safe, like scaly raptors or yet another T. rex. If they really start losing money to bootleggers, maybe they'll have to use cheaper plastic, or hire less-talented sculptors. My point is, when a company makes something you like, the best way to encourage that behavior is to spend money on it. Likewise, when a company does something you dislike, withhold your money from them. That's the best way to make your opinions known.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Patrx on October 03, 2014, 05:46:04 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 03, 2014, 05:29:30 PM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on October 03, 2014, 05:22:51 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 03, 2014, 05:11:00 PM
QuoteWell supporting a knockoff company would be going "woo! Go knockoff company!".
No, only in a literal sense.

Maybe, but would you rather pay $15 for a dinosaur, when you can find the exact same on for $4?
It's not the "exact same". The bootleggers take a toy and they put it in a mold. They're literally making a copy of a copy. That means a loss of detail. The paint application is often poor as well. And there is no safety testing. See here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2134.msg56813#msg56813

I would rather the $15 because I know what I'm getting.

In addition to those very valid reasons, paying the extra eleven dollars would mean I could support a company that's doing the work to make things I want to buy.
If, for example, I go to Safari LTD's Facebook page and say, "Hey, I really like the look of the new Yutyrannus you guys made, please continue making models of interesting and recently-discovered dinosaurs", someone at the company may indeed read it and appreciate it. But if the new model doesn't sell well when it hits store shelves, if I and others buy inexpensive duplicates from other manufacturers instead, Safari will see those low sales numbers. That's a lot louder than a Facebook comment. Those numbers aren't going to encourage them to make more models like the Yutyrannus. Maybe they'll go back to something safe, like scaly raptors or yet another T. rex. If they really start losing money to bootleggers, maybe they'll have to use cheaper plastic, or hire less-talented sculptors. My point is, when a company makes something you like, the best way to encourage that behavior is to spend money on it. Likewise, when a company does something you dislike, withhold your money from them. That's the best way to make your opinions known.

Imagine you live where I do, ready?

The one store who had name brand Dinos closes, then Walmart gets them, but only one walmart. The only other place you can find name brand Dinos is at the hospital, in Columbus, an hour away. However, there are tons of thrift shops, filled with less well known brands, sometimes separately, something in large bags. What do you do? Go to Columbus or Walmart, or get the thrift Dinos?
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Patrx

I know how you feel! They only place around here to get real dinosaur figures is the state museum. Well, except Schleich. Scheich are everywhere. But I don't want those  ;D Imagine my elation when I discovered that the new Battat Terra series would be available at Target! In most cases, I am resigned to shopping online, accumulating dinosaurs slowly as I save money.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Patrx on October 03, 2014, 06:18:19 PM
I know how you feel! They only place around here to get real dinosaur figures is the state museum. Well, except Schleich. Scheich are everywhere. But I don't want those  ;D Imagine my elation when I discovered that the new Battat Terra series would be available at Target! In most cases, I am resigned to shopping online, accumulating dinosaurs slowly as I save money.

Schiliech arnt so bad.

I don't like battats though.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

stargatedalek

buying chinasaurs or knock-offs from a thrift store is different, I treat thrift stores with different standards
to knowingly buy a knock-off from an online retailer however, will earn you well deserved scorn, at least over something as little money saved as this

location is no excuse
the only constant place to get dinosaurs around here is toysrus, and all they carry are schleich (ick) and Chap Mei (which I already own a great deal of)
occasionally the natural history museum might bring some in when they have a corresponding exhibit, but not normally

I buy most of my figures online and second hand, I would never be so greedy or stupid to buy a knock-off when it only saves me a couple of dollars at most, thats just pathetic

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 03, 2014, 07:58:36 PM
buying chinasaurs or knock-offs from a thrift store is different, I treat thrift stores with different standards
to knowingly buy a knock-off from an online retailer however, will earn you well deserved scorn, at least over something as little money saved as this

location is no excuse
the only constant place to get dinosaurs around here is toysrus, and all they carry are schleich (ick) and Chap Mei (which I already own a great deal of)
occasionally the natural history museum might bring some in when they have a corresponding exhibit, but not normally

I buy most of my figures online and second hand, I would never be so greedy or stupid to buy a knock-off when it only saves me a couple of dollars at most, thats just pathetic

Missy, are you saying that buying a near identical dinosaur for half the price of an original is pathetic? Just because you save money to get more Dinos? Or that your stupid and greedy to save move by not driving an hour (and waiting for an appointment) just to get a name brand Dino? And knockoffs are sometimes equal to (or batter than ) the name brand.
-UDK

tyrantqueen

QuoteAnd knockoffs are sometimes equal to (or batter than ) the name brand.
Do you have an example of this?

Sorry, that's just not true. There is always going to be a loss of quality, when you're making a copy of a copy. Unless the bootleggers are working from the original molds, which I highly doubt.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 03, 2014, 09:20:12 PM
QuoteAnd knockoffs are sometimes equal to (or batter than ) the name brand.
Do you have an example of this?

Sorry, that's just not true. There is always going to be a loss of quality, when you're making a copy of a copy. Unless the bootleggers are working from the original molds, which I highly doubt.

Wait til tomorrow, I will post a pic. (It's in my collection)

A tiny loss of quality is a small price to pay for a smaller price.
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 03, 2014, 04:41:58 PM
Quote from: Invicta Hunter on October 03, 2014, 04:31:38 PM
I wouldn't, all i would care about is the pay cheque from the company after i had finished the sculpture.
I doubt you'll find artists who'll completely agree with that statement. Most artists do not pursue their chosen craft with the intention of making a lot of money. In fact, making a living from art is a notoriously difficult thing.

We have lots of artists on the forum here. Let me ask one of you this question: would you be upset if you made a sculpture and a company ripped it off and starting making from it without your permission? I know Shane Foulkes has a lot of problems with people illegally recasting his kits.
I for one would be incredibly irritated if someone ripped off my work.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

stargatedalek

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on October 03, 2014, 08:50:59 PM
Missy, are you saying that buying a near identical dinosaur for half the price of an original is pathetic? Just because you save money to get more Dinos? Or that your stupid and greedy to save move by not driving an hour (and waiting for an appointment) just to get a name brand Dino? And knockoffs are sometimes equal to (or batter than ) the name brand.

yes, it is greedy because you are thinking of yourself as deserving better prices when the prices are completely reasonable
and its stupid because its going to affect what the original company does in the future, if they loose enough sales they may stop making high quality figures entirely
and its pathetic because honestly how could it not be, to think so highly of yourself that you would knowingly scam someone (even a company) is just disgusting

you could just buy the figures online, thats what a lot of people do, heck some people (myself included) have no other options than to buy online

that has and will never happen, unless this knock-off company stole the molds themselves somehow, and even then they would only be equal

even if its half the price, half the price is what? 5-10 dollars, are you seriously that cheap?

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 03, 2014, 11:34:40 PM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on October 03, 2014, 08:50:59 PM

yes, it is greedy because you are thinking of yourself as deserving better prices when the prices are completely reasonable
and its stupid because its going to affect what the original company does in the future, if they loose enough sales they may stop making high quality figures entirely
and its pathetic because honestly how could it not be, to think so highly of yourself that you would knowingly scam someone (even a company) is just disgusting

you could just buy the figures online, thats what a lot of people do, heck some people (myself included) have no other options than to buy online

that has and will never happen, unless this knock-off company stole the molds themselves somehow, and even then they would only be equal

even if its half the price, half the price is what? 5-10 dollars, are you seriously that cheap?

Who wants to pay 30 💵 for a six or seven inch fig.

If the company would lower their price, I wouldn't have to find alternatives.

I don't think "highly of myself" just because I want to save money.

I don't have a 💳 to buy online.

It's not like I have tons of 💵 to spend. So any way to save helps.

I think a certain lady on here thinks a little too highly of herself.

-UDK

Takama

Are we seriously going to have another War here? ::) after the Forum just struck piece?

Ultimatedinoking

No.

Miss. Stargate, let's have a truce. ✌️
-UDK

stargatedalek

I have literally $30 to my name, so please don't bring money into this

but I think there might actually have been some misunderstanding going on here, by knock-off do you mean things like Chap Mei knocking off JP? or do you mean blatant copy molds? (which is what I meant)

Hynerpeton

Crazy request. But can Anyone post a side by side comparison between the real company toy and the knock offs? Even if its just two photos. Thanks.
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

docronnie

Well, knock offs are everywhere and from where I am right now, maybe around 80 to 90% support these companies.

In Magic, the price difference is terrible. From a $35 trick, it goes down to $5 knock off. Yes, China bootleggers do this. Marvel Legends toys also get knocked off and we easily see them sold in Divisoria, a well known place here for cheap knock offs.

I think they are here to stay, as long as there are supporters, who buy them.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Primeval12

Takama

here Predino

The big one is the Original, The small Is the Knock off

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

docronnie

It looks hollow too. At least, it's not like the Marvel Legends knock offs, wherein you can't almost determine the difference, unless you do a thorough scrutiny.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.