News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Server issues

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 02:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Sorry everyone! Believe me, it is frustrating me too - it makes moderating a real headache.  :(
As I say, I'm pursuing a solution, so thanks for your patience. :)

Seijun

Just an FYI, reading the forum or posting anything has now become very difficult to impossible. It took me about 15 minutes to get to this thread and post this.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

DinoToyForum

Apparently the dinotoyforum database is full (what did I say about attachments ;)) and that's what the problem is. An upgrade is now in the works, that should get the forum back to its happy smooth-running self...

DinoToyForum

To help alleviate the situation, I'm selectively deleting some of the larger attachments and attachments that have had few views. Hopefully it helps get the forum back on its feet while I wait for my hosts to increase the DB capacity.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah took four tries to get here and post for me just now..looked like he site itself was down from the messages I was getting.

Is it attachments only or linked images as well ?  I know I've posted a LOT in my art thread but only as linked images and not attachments.

DinoToyForum

It is only attachments. I've deleted many, but there are still plenty, And most of the blog images are stored in the same database. My host has said the database capacity should be increased by the end of the day, so fingers crossed it works...

DinoToyForum

My host has informed me that the upgrade is now complete, so the forum (and blog) should be back to normal! Let me know if this is the case or not :)

Don't worry, despite the increased overheads, the forum will still remain free ;)

postsaurischian

No error messages today :).

DinoToyForum

Ikessauro

Here the error is not happening anymore, thanks for the quick support Adam.

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

DinoToyForum

The blog and forum have been going down quite frequently recently. I've contacted my hosts and agreed for the domain be moved to a dedicated server. When this happens there will be some downtime as all the data is migrated, but it will solve the problems and also make the site faster. I'll keep you informed of when this happens, probably some time this month, and hopefully without a hitch!

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 04, 2014, 03:22:28 PM
The blog and forum have been going down quite frequently recently. I've contacted my hosts and agreed for the domain be moved to a dedicated server. When this happens there will be some downtime as all the data is migrated, but it will solve the problems and also make the site faster. I'll keep you informed of when this happens, probably some time this month, and hopefully without a hitch!
Thank you, and thank you for letting us know, Dr. Admin.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

DinoToyForum

This is to confirm that the forum and blog will be migrated to a new server this Thursday. During this period, which may take up to 24 hours, both sites will be down. The forum will be set to maintenance mode shortly before the move to avoid any loss of data when the database is copied. When we go back online, presuming there are no major hiccups (!), the site should be faster and more reliable than before. However, it is possible that some niggly troubleshooting is required after the move. For example, when we migrated the ATF last year the avatars were lost for some reason, so that might happen again. We will do our best to make sure the transition is as smooth and fast as possible. Thanks for your patience and see you on the other side!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Thanks for the head's up !

Roselaar

Is it also normal for the move that all saved private messages have been lost? It's not a major loss (thankfully) in my case, just a minor nuisance.

DinoToyForum

So! What should have been a standard migration went wrong for some unknown reason. All of the files were successfully migrated to the new server, but for some reason the blog and forum didn't work. So we've spent the last few days trying to solve the technical problems. I got the blog back up, but in the end we resorted to installing the forum software from scratch.

So, although the forum is now up and running - I think - it is in its most rudimentary forum. Over the next short while I'll have to install all the appropriate modifications to restore all previous functionality. But at least it is working now.

Questions and suggestions can go here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8.0

Apologies for the long delay!!!  :-[

tyrantqueen

Can we restore the avatar size to how it was before? I don't like my avatar being so teeny tiny :-[

Thank you for working so hard to get the forum back. It must have been very stressful.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Roselaar on January 12, 2014, 02:42:48 PM
Is it also normal for the move that all saved private messages have been lost? It's not a major loss (thankfully) in my case, just a minor nuisance.

No, I'll see if I can restore them for everyone...

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 12, 2014, 02:45:42 PM
Can we restore the avatar size to how it was before? I don't like my avatar being so teeny tiny :-[

Thank you for working so hard to get the forum back. It must have been very stressful.

you have no idea! I think I aged about a year in the space of three days!

I'll see if I can fix all the niggly repercussions of installing from scratch. Please feel free to compile a glitch list here:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8.225

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.