News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Toy Blog changes

Started by DinoToyForum, April 12, 2012, 01:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

I've added a bio and photo to indohyus' page (thanks indohyus!) http://dinotoyblog.com/about-the-authors/indohyus/

Dilopho

I feel a little guilty over barely visiting the blog anymore...it's just that since all the changes from the old look, I have trouble focusing on anything ._. Because there's no clear sections to me. That's more of a personal problem , mental stuff, but eh..... I can't focus on just text and headings, especially with such big white space in between....

DinoToyForum

I appreciate the feedback but are you suggesting a change? I'm not sure what you mean by "clear sections".

Also, now that the blog is responsive it is essential that users specify whether they're on a mobile or desktop, because the blog looks different depending on your device and screen size.

DinoToyForum

suspsy

Thank you for doing that. Hopefully SR has some Australian dinosaurs planned for the future. We could certainly use a quality Muttaburrasaurus!
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

DinoToyForum

Quote from: suspsy on December 08, 2018, 06:10:58 PM
Thank you for doing that. Hopefully SR has some Australian dinosaurs planned for the future. We could certainly use a quality Muttaburrasaurus!

Some SR dinosaurs would be great, but don't forget about this Invicta Muttaburrasaurus, which is pretty good! http://dinotoyblog.com/2009/11/06/muttaburrasaurus-invicta/

Shonisaurus

True, the muttaburrasaurus of Invicta far exceeds that of Collecta and that is a figure much later than that great cult brand as were the figures of Invicta plastics of the Museum of Natural History in London.  ^-^

Gwangi

Any chance we can get a page up for the Paleozoic Pals? There are five reviews now with more coming down the road. Maybe a page for Jasman too, though I would understand not wanting to put forth the effort on that one.

DinoToyForum

If there's already a category for it, there's already a page for it. :)

http://dinotoyblog.com/category/paleozoic-pals/
http://dinotoyblog.com/category/jasman/

Navigate to all Category and Genus pages from the drop down menus on the left, or click the key words at the top of individual reviews.

DinoToyForum

Half a year has passed since I updated the Dinosaur Toy Blog layout. Have readers gotten used to it by now? Any feedback or suggestions is always welcome.

Gwangi

I really miss the thumbnail layout in the various categories, aside from that I have no complaints.

suspsy

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 26, 2019, 01:39:14 PM
Half a year has passed since I updated the Dinosaur Toy Blog layout. Have readers gotten used to it by now? Any feedback or suggestions is always welcome.

I'm quite fine with it, although I still wish that the Author pages listed reviews chronologically instead of alphabetically. Speaking for myself, I like being able to see my own history clearly.  :)

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on April 26, 2019, 01:52:07 PM

I'm quite fine with it, although I still wish that the Author pages listed reviews chronologically instead of alphabetically. Speaking for myself, I like being able to see my own history clearly.  :)

I concur, although it's neat to see the reviews alphabetized too. The option to view them in various orders would be nice but is probably not an option.

suspsy

Quote from: Gwangi on April 26, 2019, 03:19:56 PM
Quote from: suspsy on April 26, 2019, 01:52:07 PM

I concur, although it's neat to see the reviews alphabetized too. The option to view them in various orders would be nice but is probably not an option.

Alphabetically does admittedly help you keep better track of how many reviews of a certain genus you've written. In any case, this isn't a major priority.

stegosauria

In the old version when you opened a review, on the top there were links to the previous and the next reviews (and the links actually were the title of the reviews and I think that was a nice touch too). But now if I want to go to the next or the previous post amongst the older reviews I have to figure out on which is now that particular review (and considering that there are almost 100 pages it's not an easy task). So it's a little more difficult than click one link.

And the navigation amongst the pages would be easier if I didn't have to go through most of the page to choose another (this is quite annoying on my cell phone).

I think these two things that can really bother me. I miss the older version where I could read 3 or 5 full reviews per page but I think I can live without that.

DinoToyForum

Thanks for your thoughts.

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi The thumbnail layout on category pages is something I also regret to have lost. That style of thumbnails are now only on the Author pages (i.e. the pages I create manually e.g. http://dinotoyblog.com/about-the-authors/dinotoyblog/, not the auto-generated ones. e.g. http://dinotoyblog.com/author/admin/). The reason for this loss is that I have stopped creating 'category pages' manually.

avatar_suspsy @suspsy It is easy enough for me to order the review thumbnails on author pages by date, so if there's a general consensus for that, I can make it so. But, it is beyond my capabilities to introduce an option for readers to manually sort the review thumbnails alphabetically or by date themselves.

S @stegosauria I think I can add in the links to 'previous' and 'next' reviews, I will try. But I might put them at the bottom instead of the top, because most people will just want to see the page content first. I'm not sure what you mean about the navigation - there is a menu at the top if you don't want to scroll to the 'sidebar', which is at the bottom on mobiles. I think the 'sidebar' should be at the bottom, otherwise visitors will conversely have to scroll through all that 'sidebar' gubbins to get to the page content.

DinoToyForum

As per the suggestion by S @stegosauria , I've added a 'previous' and 'next' link at the top of each review page.

DinoToyForum

I've added a DinoWaurs category for all of avatar_indohyus @indohyus reviews: http://dinotoyblog.com/category/dinowaurs/

I also simplified the main menu.

indohyus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 06, 2019, 01:32:48 PM
I've added a DinoWaurs category for all of avatar_indohyus @indohyus reviews: http://dinotoyblog.com/category/dinowaurs/

I also simplified the main menu.

Cheers mate! Keep forgetting how many of these I've done, and still got more to come.

stegosauria

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 02, 2019, 05:30:46 PM
As per the suggestion by S @stegosauria , I've added a 'previous' and 'next' link at the top of each review page.

Thanks for the links. With them I don't have to always to the 10th+ page so my other request isn't important.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.