News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Toy Blog changes

Started by DinoToyForum, April 12, 2012, 01:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georassic

Great revisions! This is such a great resource for new collectors, I was using it for months before I ever posted.
cheers

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Georassic on February 10, 2014, 11:19:17 PM
Great revisions! This is such a great resource for new collectors, I was using it for months before I ever posted.
cheers

Thanks!

Also, I just added more company/line pages including Sideshow Collectibles and Antediluvia:

http://dinotoyblog.com/companies/sideshow-collectibles/
http://dinotoyblog.com/companies/antediluvia/

DinoToyForum

Concavenator

Is it me or are the polls in the blog quite a bit old?  :-X
How about some new polls?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Concavenator on March 12, 2014, 10:19:47 PM

Yes, they are. Any poll suggestions? :)

Concavenator

Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 12, 2014, 11:00:58 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on March 12, 2014, 10:19:47 PM

Yes, they are. Any poll suggestions? :)
For example:
What are your most anticipated CollectA figures for 2014?

DinoToyForum

I deleted the poll page on the blog because it was out of date and seemed redundant - the forum is a better place for polls anyway.  C:-)

DinoToyForum

I've set up a new email address for the Dinosaur Toy Blog:

[email protected]

Guest reviews can be sent here.

DinoToyForum

I've changed the header(s) on the blog so they are now bigger and bolder (to match the new forum banner). I deleted the URL from the header which isn't required. I also deleted the 'The' so we are now just the 'Dinosaur Toy Blog' rather than 'The Dinosaur Toy Blog'.

DinoToyForum

I've added some Company/Line pages to the Dinotoyblog, providing links to Jurassic World and Tyco reviews respectively.

http://dinotoyblog.com/companies/jurassic-world
http://dinotoyblog.com/companies/tyco

Suggestions for other similar pages are welcome.

suspsy

Awesome! Hopefully this will prompt someone to review the Tyco Brontosaurus!
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

SBell

I have been feeling bored and motivated all at the same time  ???--what does one do to start adding to the blog posts (other than, of course, write blog posts...)? I have a lot of things that need some love on there--it can't be all STS walkarounds for me!

amargasaurus cazaui

I keep looking at the toy blog and pondering...I wonder if there are other collectors like myself that collect specific species or types of dinosaurs, not based on company etc, and if it were an idea to perhaps attempt to gather reviews of the same dinosaur under a listing as well..ie Tyrannosaurs, or Triceratops, or Brachiosaurus, for at least some of the more established names...so that if a dinosaur also appears within a small set, like colorata or Expo or whatever it shows under the list and the searcher can then instantly grab an entirel list of all the reviewed and established figures of that particular animal........I realize you can do some of that with the search tab, but it would not show the ones grouped within sets or small groups. Just my mind working overtime I guess....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 13, 2016, 07:57:41 PM
I keep looking at the toy blog and pondering...I wonder if there are other collectors like myself that collect specific species or types of dinosaurs, not based on company etc, and if it were an idea to perhaps attempt to gather reviews of the same dinosaur under a listing as well..ie Tyrannosaurs, or Triceratops, or Brachiosaurus, for at least some of the more established names...so that if a dinosaur also appears within a small set, like colorata or Expo or whatever it shows under the list and the searcher can then instantly grab an entirel list of all the reviewed and established figures of that particular animal........I realize you can do some of that with the search tab, but it would not show the ones grouped within sets or small groups. Just my mind working overtime I guess....

It's an idea. I wondered if the search feature could be made to do something similar?  The results might be able to be tweaked to display small images as well?

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 13, 2016, 08:12:13 PM

It's an idea. I wondered if the search feature could be made to do something similar?  The results might be able to be tweaked to display small images as well?

It would have been easier from the outset! Just like any other website, it would involve going back to every post and tagging all tags...plus, it means whoever posts has to tag everything appropriately as well (I looked up 'fish' and 'shark' and both were missing reviews of figures that would normally have been in those tags...like the prehistoric shark toob!).

Time-consuming, but it would definitely be helpful. Not sure if the search function catches them or not.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: SBell on February 13, 2016, 08:26:25 PM

It would have been easier from the outset! Just like any other website, it would involve going back to every post and tagging all tags...plus, it means whoever posts has to tag everything appropriately as well (I looked up 'fish' and 'shark' and both were missing reviews of figures that would normally have been in those tags...like the prehistoric shark toob!).

Time-consuming, but it would definitely be helpful. Not sure if the search function catches them or not.

Tagging and categorising posts is important for this reason (and others). We have been doing so to various degrees from the outset. It is possible to create a list based on a tag/categories using a plugin, which is exactly how the lists on company pages and author pages are filtered.

I've been encouraging bloggers to tag by genus. This will allow us to do something along the lines of Amargasaurus' suggestion - genus pages.

Sbell, did you have anything else in mind?

At the moment I'm in the process of reattributing guest reviews to a new Guest Reviews account (http://dinotoyblog.com/author/guest-reviews/). This came about from a suggestion in the reviewers section of the forum. We haven't stagnated just yet!

DinoToyForum

Like so: http://dinotoyblog.com/genera/tyrannosaurus/

As I say, completely dependent on tags, so if any Tyrannosaurus reviews haven't been tagged, they won't appear in the list.

It is just a bit of an undertaking. Wordpress isn't really suited for a database-style site...

Edit - I added a few other popular genus pages.

laticauda

I'll go back a double check that I have tagged things correctly. 

DinoToyForum

Quote from: laticauda on February 14, 2016, 01:55:52 AM
I'll go back a double check that I have tagged things correctly.

As outlined in the reviewers section, use categories for company and higher taxa, use tags for genus. I think you have been thorough :)

SBell

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 13, 2016, 11:36:45 PM
Quote from: SBell on February 13, 2016, 08:26:25 PM

Tagging and categorising posts is important for this reason (and others). We have been doing so to various degrees from the outset. It is possible to create a list based on a tag/categories using a plugin, which is exactly how the lists on company pages and author pages are filtered.

I've been encouraging bloggers to tag by genus. This will allow us to do something along the lines of Amargasaurus' suggestion - genus pages.

Sbell, did you have anything else in mind?

At the moment I'm in the process of reattributing guest reviews to a new Guest Reviews account (http://dinotoyblog.com/author/guest-reviews/). This came about from a suggestion in the reviewers section of the forum. We haven't stagnated just yet!

No specific suggestions--just that trying to reorganize/recategorize at this stage will be nigh-improbable, since it means going to each post and adding the correct categories and tags (just like, say, stores or databases). A search function would also help (I was surprised that a seach for sharks didnt bring ip the shark toob, but did bring up the amrine life toob!

I will look at the linked thread and see what I need to do...

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.