News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Toy Blog changes

Started by DinoToyForum, April 12, 2012, 01:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 14, 2016, 02:03:14 AM
Quote from: laticauda on February 14, 2016, 01:55:52 AM
I'll go back a double check that I have tagged things correctly.

As outlined in the reviewers section, use categories for company and higher taxa, use tags for genus. I think you have been thorough :)

I know I haven't been. I just edited all the ones for which there are now genus pages. I'll get around to the others soon enough.

Takama

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 14, 2016, 12:00:53 AM
Like so: http://dinotoyblog.com/genera/tyrannosaurus/

As I say, completely dependent on tags, so if any Tyrannosaurus reviews haven't been tagged, they won't appear in the list.

It is just a bit of an undertaking. Wordpress isn't really suited for a database-style site...

Edit - I added a few other popular genus pages.

I think you should add a link for Fictional Genra, to Include Fictional Chreactors and Creatures like the I.Rex and This Guy

http://dinotoyblog.com/2010/11/25/loch-ness-monster-monsters-in-my-pocket-series-2-by-matchbox/

suspsy

http://dinotoyblog.com/companies/recur/

If you have a Recur prehistoric figure you're willing to review, then by all means, please do so!
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

DinoToyForum

Following Suspsy's advice, I've updated the list in the Genus tab of the Dinotoyblog to include other popular genera. Just found out we have, for example, 20 Apatosaurus reviews!

Sim

I've noticed Mojo isn't listed in the companies tab, or the company pages list on the right of the blog.  It would be nice to see them added.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on December 12, 2017, 05:14:52 PM
I've noticed Mojo isn't listed in the companies tab, or the company pages list on the right of the blog.  It would be nice to see them added.

I'll do that, no problem.

Edit - http://dinotoyblog.com/companies/mojo-fun/

DinoToyForum

Just FYI, I have changed my username on the Dinosaur Toy Blog from 'Plesiosauria' to 'Dinotoyblog'.

DinoToyForum

I've removed the Dinotoyblog store from the site and top menu. The Amazon service I was using is being discontinued.

Ravonium

Just noticed two things that I think are changes:

1. The layout of reviews on company and author pages has changed.

2. There is now a "Groups" dropdown menu

Reptilia

Just curious, I noticed a couple of people became reviewers, but how do you become one? You just have to ask moderators to enter the team or do you have to reach a certain number of guest reviews?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Reptilia on January 11, 2018, 08:12:54 PM
Just curious, I noticed a couple of people became reviewers, but how do you become one? You just have to ask moderators to enter the team or do you have to reach a certain number of guest reviews?

Yeah, a certain number and quality of guest reviews is the main factor. We decide on a case by case basis.

DinoToyForum

I've tidied up the 'Authors', 'Top Companies' and 'Top Genera' sections, so the reviews on each page are arranged in a grid rather than in one long column. I've also added a new 'Groups' section to the top menu. Let me know what you think.

Personally I find it very satisfying to see all the reviews lined up like that, and I wonder if it might even be a better way to present the reviews on the main home page of the blog?

laticauda

Well worth the effort as it looks great.  Easy to scroll through and easy on the eyes.   :)

Halichoeres

There are over 400 reviews of theropods, holy cow.

I like the layout change!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

DinoToyForum

What do you think about me making the front page look like this as well? So, instead of seeing the full reviews, there is a large gallery of clickable recent reviews.

Halichoeres

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 12, 2018, 01:19:10 PM
What do you think about me making the front page look like this as well? So, instead of seeing the full reviews, there is a large gallery of clickable recent reviews.

It would definitely drive up page views. It would look less like a blog, however. I think it makes more sense for archives than for the front page, personally.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 12, 2018, 02:16:41 PM

It would definitely drive up page views. It would look less like a blog, however. I think it makes more sense for archives than for the front page, personally.

You're right about the first two points. We are a blog because our CMS is Wordpress, but the nature of our 'little' website has changed over the years. Is it important that we look like a blog?

Joey

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 12, 2018, 03:24:24 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 12, 2018, 02:16:41 PM

You're right about the first two points. We are a blog because our CMS is Wordpress, but the nature of our 'little' website has changed over the years. Is it important that we look like a blog?
In my personal opinion, not really.

Bokisaurus

I'm all for it, it looks so much nicer and easier to find other reviews. Good job on tiding up ^-^

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.