News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

A's dinosaur sculptures

Started by A.Garcia, November 03, 2014, 05:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Garcia

I'll use this topic to share images of the dinosaurs I've sculpted. So far I've done 3 figures (plus a few tiny ones). They are my first attempts at creating dinosaur models. My goal was to make 1:40 scale figures of species I wanted, as lifelike and accurate as I could, to fit alongside my other dinosaur figures. For the most part I'm quite pleased with how they turned out.

First is my recently finished Gorgosaurus libratus. It is around 7.5 inches, or 1:40 for an animal 25-30 feet long. I actually started it over a year ago, and at the time I didn't anticipate very many feathered tyrannosaurs becoming available as models, so I wanted one in my collection as an alternative reconstruction. Anyway, as the subject of integument style preferences comes up from time to time, I'll let this speak as my interpretation for tyrannosaur feathers, if they are going to be on a model. Feathers are absent on the feet, gular skin, and parts of the snout and undersides. I opted for a subtly striped paint scheme, with signaling highlights on the arms, beneath the lacrimal crests, and a bit on the tail.

My other challenge was to make a free-standing figure with a life-like posture and proportional feet out of solid material, so on this one I used solid polymer clay rather than filler materials inside. A lesson I learned: I had to put the sculpture aside for a long time before completion, and I left some of the clay for the head uncured; during storage it became predictably crumbly and caused problems for continuing the head sculpt, but  it turned out okay.

There's quite a few images here, but my preference for pictures is too many rather than too few. :)) I learned a lot from making these, and I hope to keep improving, so comments and criticism are more than welcome.  :)

DinoLord

A.Garcia

(My favorite portrait :) )

Rathalosaurus

Dude, this is very awesome. A bit more details would be nice, but still: AWESOME WORK!!!!
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Concavenator

A.Garcia

Finally, some outside including my diorama image this year, with a couple of options I almost used instead.

Lambeosaurus will be next...

A.Garcia

Thanks for the comments!

DinoLord: Yes I'd like to, but I can't at the moment (figuring out one thing at a time). :-\ Some day, hopefully. :)

Rathalosaurus: Thanks, but let me know what you mean by details.

tyrantqueen

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think your easily on par with Favorite and their work. I would have easily bought that set if it were available.

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Arul

Manatee

This looks wonderful! Very nicely detailed and painted; it really holds true to the real animal.

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 03, 2014, 06:25:43 PM
I think your easily on par with Favorite and their work. I would have easily bought that set if it were available.

Likewise! Very beautiful work. I didn't realize the dinosaurs in your diorama were made from scratch.

Paleogene Pals

Excellent sculpture. You're abilities are definitely in league with those of Papo, Favorite, etc... Beautiful animal!

spinosaurus1

you have done an amazing job with the gorgosaurus feathers. I agree with the post above

postsaurischian

:o :D Wonderful work, Mr. Garcia!!

.......  I would have easily bought that set if it were available.

Me too ;D!!

pascosaur

I was impressed by your work in tne Dino Toy Contest.
Your feathered Gorgosaurus is a beauty.

A.Garcia

Thanks for the kind words, tyrantqueen, Blade-of-the-Moon, Yutyrannus, ARUL, Manatee, Gwangi, Paleogene Pals, spinosaurus1, postsaurischian, and pascosaur!

Tyrantqueen: This is among my first "serious" attempts. Here's the boring answer: Throughout primary school, etc, I would sculpt little imaginary creatures (left uncured, and minimalist in style) from Sculpey with a friend. I did a few simple things since, and took one university semester of sculpting, but it was with metal, wood, plaster (I should post those pictures for fun sometime). Late 2012 I started a couple of the animals (shown on ATF) and a dinosaur, and have worked off-and-on since.

Blade: Any favorable comparison to Favorite means a lot to me, some of their first series are among my favorites. Let it be known that I'd commission a giant from you if I had the means. :))

Gwangi: The diorama was not the most flattering angle for them, but I knew I could post alternates afterward. ;)

Thanks again everyone- I'll try to keep going and learning, and who knows maybe someday I'll be able to share some of them. :)

Pinkamena

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 04, 2014, 07:42:20 AM
:o :D Wonderful work, Mr. Garcia!!

.......  I would have easily bought that set if it were available.

Me too ;D!!

Me three!!! You are very talented  :D
Slowly running out of room...one toy at a time!

Invicta Wishlist (monochrome) - Plesiosaur, Mamenchisaurus, Dimetrodon, Muttaburrasaurus, Ichthyosaurm, Blue Whale 

paleoferroequine

Wow, that's good work you've done. You have a natural talent that will be very impressive as you learn even more, I can't wait! ;D

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.