News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 Tyrannosaurus Toys [Completed]

Started by Gwangi, December 29, 2014, 11:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your choices for the top 10 Tyrannosaurus toys?

Battat Tyrannosaurus
71 (50%)
Favorite original soft model Tyrannosaurus
22 (15.5%)
Favorite new soft model Tyrannosaurus
23 (16.2%)
Favorite feathered soft model Tyrannosaurus
16 (11.3%)
Papo standing T. rex
52 (36.6%)
Papo running T. rex
56 (39.4%)
Papo baby T. rex
11 (7.7%)
CollectA baby T. rex
17 (12%)
CollectA Deluxe Tyrannosaurus
21 (14.8%)
CollectA Tyrannosaurus rex with prey
7 (4.9%)
Invicta Tyrannosaurus
33 (23.2%)
Sega vinyl Tyrannosaurus
27 (19%)
Safari Ltd. "Sue at the Field Museum" Tyrannosaurus pair
20 (14.1%)
Wild Safari Tyrannosaurus (by Doug Watson)
41 (28.9%)
Kaiyodo Capsule Q Feathered Tyrannosaurus
28 (19.7%)
Kaiyodo Capsule Q Scaly Tyrannosaurus
20 (14.1%)
Carnegie Tyrannosaurus
9 (6.3%)
Carnegie 10th Anniversary T. rex
26 (18.3%)
Carnegie 25th Anniversary T. rex
35 (24.6%)
Kenner "Jurassic Park" "Big Red" original T. rex
37 (26.1%)
Kenner "The Lost World" Thrasher T. rex
29 (20.4%)
Kenner Bull T. rex
17 (12%)
Hasbro CamoXtreme JP3 Tyrannosaurus
2 (1.4%)
Hasbro CamoXtreme Canyon JP3 Tyrannosaurus
3 (2.1%)
Tyco Dino-Riders/Smithsonian Tyrannosaurus
15 (10.6%)
Dor Mei Tyrannosaurus
1 (0.7%)
Imperial Tyrannosaurus
4 (2.8%)
Carnage Resaurus T. rex
11 (7.7%)
Schleich World of History Tyrannosaurus
9 (6.3%)
Toyway WWD Tyrannosaurus
13 (9.2%)
Colorata Dino Cretaceous T. rex
4 (2.8%)
Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. Dino Kingdom 2012 Tyrannosaurus
6 (4.2%)
Linde Tyrannosaurus
1 (0.7%)
Kabaya Tyrannosaurus
6 (4.2%)
Marx skinny Tyrannosaurus
5 (3.5%)
Marx "Potbelly" Tyrannosaurus
6 (4.2%)
Bullyland Museum Line T. rex
7 (4.9%)
Revoltech T. rex
14 (9.9%)
Sinclair Tyrannosaurus
2 (1.4%)
Mold-A-Rama Tyrannosaurus
1 (0.7%)
MPC Tyrannosaurus
3 (2.1%)
Kenner Young "Jurassic Park" Tyrannosaurus
9 (6.3%)
Mojo deluxe T. rex
4 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Gwangi

Well here it is, and it's a longer list than I anticipated. But most of them on the list were suggested by our own members. So I expect everyone on the poll to get some love! Kidding of course, vote for whomever you like and for whatever reason you like! Accuracy, nostalgia, playability etc. etc. And yes, there are many more Tyrannosaurus toys not on the list but I feel confident that the majority of the better ones are here.

Patrx

Gosh, you're right, this is complicated. We should probably have at least one feathery rendition in the mix, but I just don't think there is a very good one out there, as far as toys go. There's the Series 2 Soft Model by Araki/Favorite, but it's not very feathery anyway, and its featherless counterpart is often regarded as better-looking overall. There's also CollectA's new one, as you mentioned, but I'm really not sure we can assess it until it's been released.

DinoLord

The fact that you chose T. rex for this poll makes it all the harder!  :P

I think if the goal is to judge figures based on aesthetic pleasantness and accuracy it would probably be helpful to leave action figures out.

Manatee

How about the Kaiyodo Capsule Q Feathered Tyrannosaurus? I own it, and it is extremely accurate and also has tons of details packed into such a tiny sculpt. I agree with DinoLord in that action figures such as the JP ones should be left out, both for the reasons he mentioned and that there would just be so many of them!

Patrx

Quote from: Manatee on December 29, 2014, 11:38:43 PM
How about the Kaiyodo Capsule Q Feathered Tyrannosaurus? I own it, and it is extremely accurate and also has tons of details packed into such a tiny sculpt.

Of course! So do I; how on earth did I forget about it? It's excellent.

DinoToyForum

I'd definitely include the JP rexes, I suspect the 'big red rex' might even win...  ;)

There is no limit to how many options we can potentially add to the poll...

Megalosaurus

I'll include REBOR's King T-Rex.
I also vote for the Papo Standing & the Running, the Sega one, and the Battat.
I don't know if you are talking about this one, but I also vote for it:

I don't believe anyone could say that the invicta is in the top 10 (may be it was in its time)
I think none of us can be fair voting for the unreleased CollectA one.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 30, 2014, 12:12:41 AM
I'd definitely include the JP rexes, I suspect the 'big red rex' might even win...  ;)
[...]

I'll include then the JP thrasher rex.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

DinoToyForum

I'm sure the Invicta would get a vote or two. I say include it for the sake of completion.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 30, 2014, 12:44:42 AM
I'm sure the Invicta would get a vote or two. I say include it for the sake of completion.

Yes. I'm not telling not to include it, just sharing my thoughts. I never see an invicta before registering in this forum, since then I've only saw the TRex and the Iguanodon with my own eyes, and I passed. But sure many people love that line and it also have the nostalgy factor for someones.
Also this is for creating the list prior to vote.
So for me and I'm sure the Paleofreak is with me:
Dinosaurio contrahecho (Ignominiosaurus)

Nostalgy factor x1000
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Gwangi

Yes, some of the retro figures should be included I would think. Perhaps the Marx potbelly Tyrannosaurus? Granted they're not the best we have around currently but they were great for their time and nostalgia will play a factor. Personally, I would give the Invicta a place in my own top ten.

I argue that both of the Capsule Q Collection Tyrannosaurus should be on there. The scaly one too, I love that one.

Also, how could I forget the Safari Sue figures? They're gonna get my vote too!

Not sure about REBOR because it is so high-end but that's just my personal opinion. It can be on the list if everyone feels similarly? That's just my opinion. I just had the idea for the list, I don't see myself as ultimately deciding who is on it. It should be a group effort!

With that said, I at least think the 3 big JP rexes need to be on the list. The Thrasher is especially well made. Maybe the Tyco one too? I think I would limit the action figures to those 4 though. They're clearly the best of them anyway.

suspsy

I'm going to go out on a limb and declare that the 2015 CollectA Feathered T. Rex deserves to a contender, just based on the awesomeness of that one promo photo.

Other candidates off the top of my head:

-Papo Running T. Rex
-Carnegie 25th Anniversary T. Rex
-Rebor King T. Rex
-JP Camo Extreme Canyon T. Rex (I will never stop kicking myself for not buying that sucker when I had the chance!)
-Tyco Dino-Riders T. Rex
-Masterpiece Grimlock
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

triceratops83

Don't think this choice will be popular, but the Dor Mei chinasaur was a childhood favourite.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think your going to have break down the criteria more. There are so many Rexes out there and so many are awesome for one reason or the other.

Heck I'd even vote for the Imperial in a nostalgia competition :

Not accurate but I had a lot of fun with him.

Maybe you could break down by decade? Then once that wraps do another for all of them?

Tyrant Lizard Queen

I agree with others - REBOR's models are not toys in the first place, their are high-end statues / replicas. Definetelly not something that you would like to play with. Just like Sideshow they are meant for display purpose Only. So I think it should be left out..

That being said - I would vote either for Papo's running T-Rex (amazing attention to detail!) or standing brown (more accurate and less bulky than the original green one).

tyrantqueen

QuoteHow about the Kaiyodo Capsule Q Feathered Tyrannosaurus? I own it, and it is extremely accurate and also has tons of details packed into such a tiny sculpt.
Yes, my #1 vote goes to the whole set.

I also choose Battat's 3rd Tyrannosaurus and SEGA's Dinosaur King Tyrannosaurus vinyl. Papo's Tyrannosaurus are nice as far as they are fantasy monsters, so they get an honourable mention.

Concavenator

I can't really think about the 10 best Tyrannosaurus models.However,I'll say,in my opinion,which are the best ones.The best Tyrannosaurus model so far has got to be the new CollectA feathered Tyrannosaurus.It's amazing,and it's something I've been hoping for some time now.A fully feathered Tyrannosaurus.CollectA are a just so brave.Second is the Kaiyodo Capsule Q Tyrannosaurus,another feathered interpretation,and it looks gorgeous.Anatomically flawless.Next,for me,is a tie between the Carnegie 25th Anniversary Tyrannosaurus and the Wild Safari interpretation,the new one,sculpted by Doug Watson.The Carnegie Tyrannosaurus is very accurate,but I don't know if the tripod pose it's sculpted in is possible.The Wild Safari Tyrannosaurus is in a natural pose but does have 'oversized' feet.So I give them a tie for the 3rd place.And last,the Battat Tyrannosaurus.Not much to say about thismone because I don't know much about it.But I think it's very accurate and looks very cool.

Tyrant Lizard Queen

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 30, 2014, 09:09:20 AM
QuoteHow about the Kaiyodo Capsule Q Feathered Tyrannosaurus? I own it, and it is extremely accurate and also has tons of details packed into such a tiny sculpt.
Papo's Tyrannosaurus are nice as far as they are fantasy monsters
LMAO. You know that Stan Winston designed it's T-Rex with accuracy in mind? I already made more than enough comparison's with the actual skeleton and Winston's replica.. There are some minor innacuracies like longer hands, but saying that it's just a Fantasy ( ?! ) monster is nothing but plain silly. Or you simply don't know anything about T-Rex anatomy. It's just impossible to take such comments seriously. I would understand if you talked about JP raptors or Spino, but certainly not Rex, as it's one if not the most accurate dino in the whole franchise.

P.S. I would never buy a feathered T-Rex model as there are absolutely none direct evidence from any of the found fossils that grown-up Tyrannosaurus Rex had feathers.

DinoToyForum

@Tyrant Lizard Queen. Warn for rudeness.

Tyrant Lizard Queen

Concavenator

Quote from: Tyrant Lizard Queen on December 30, 2014, 09:42:56 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 30, 2014, 09:09:20 AM
Papo's Tyrannosaurus are nice as far as they are fantasy monsters
LMAO. You know that Stan Winston designed it's T-Rex with accuracy in mind? I already made more than enough comparison's with the actual skeleton and Winston's replica.. There are some minor innacuracies like longer hands, but saying that it's just a Fantasy ( ?! ) monster is nothing but plain silly. Or you simply don't know anything about T-Rex anatomy. It's just impossible to take such comments seriously. I would understand if you talked about JP raptors or Spino, but certainly not Rex, as it's one if not the most accurate dino in the whole franchise.

P.S. I would never buy a feathered T-Rex model as there are absolutely none direct evidence from any of the found fossils that grown-up Tyrannosaurus Rex had feathers.
If I can assure you something is that every single dinosaur interpretation that appears in Jurassic Park,and probably Jurassic World too is not accurate by one thing or another.JP is the all time most well-known dinosaur movie,and in such a succesful movie you don't do your dinos as accurate as possible,people will get a weong view of dinosaurs.Which is in fact what has happened.Science has told us,(or is it me) that every single: deinonychosaur,troodontid,therizinosaur,and ornithomimosaur.Tyrannosaurs may sound optional for you,but take Dilong and Yutyrannus into account.Plus,some people say that young Tyrannosaurus was feathered when there is 0 evidence for that.Please don't talk about the feather thing again,it gets repetitive  :-[

P.S. My 1300th post!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.