News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 Tyrannosaurus Toys [Completed]

Started by Gwangi, December 29, 2014, 11:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your choices for the top 10 Tyrannosaurus toys?

Battat Tyrannosaurus
71 (50%)
Favorite original soft model Tyrannosaurus
22 (15.5%)
Favorite new soft model Tyrannosaurus
23 (16.2%)
Favorite feathered soft model Tyrannosaurus
16 (11.3%)
Papo standing T. rex
52 (36.6%)
Papo running T. rex
56 (39.4%)
Papo baby T. rex
11 (7.7%)
CollectA baby T. rex
17 (12%)
CollectA Deluxe Tyrannosaurus
21 (14.8%)
CollectA Tyrannosaurus rex with prey
7 (4.9%)
Invicta Tyrannosaurus
33 (23.2%)
Sega vinyl Tyrannosaurus
27 (19%)
Safari Ltd. "Sue at the Field Museum" Tyrannosaurus pair
20 (14.1%)
Wild Safari Tyrannosaurus (by Doug Watson)
41 (28.9%)
Kaiyodo Capsule Q Feathered Tyrannosaurus
28 (19.7%)
Kaiyodo Capsule Q Scaly Tyrannosaurus
20 (14.1%)
Carnegie Tyrannosaurus
9 (6.3%)
Carnegie 10th Anniversary T. rex
26 (18.3%)
Carnegie 25th Anniversary T. rex
35 (24.6%)
Kenner "Jurassic Park" "Big Red" original T. rex
37 (26.1%)
Kenner "The Lost World" Thrasher T. rex
29 (20.4%)
Kenner Bull T. rex
17 (12%)
Hasbro CamoXtreme JP3 Tyrannosaurus
2 (1.4%)
Hasbro CamoXtreme Canyon JP3 Tyrannosaurus
3 (2.1%)
Tyco Dino-Riders/Smithsonian Tyrannosaurus
15 (10.6%)
Dor Mei Tyrannosaurus
1 (0.7%)
Imperial Tyrannosaurus
4 (2.8%)
Carnage Resaurus T. rex
11 (7.7%)
Schleich World of History Tyrannosaurus
9 (6.3%)
Toyway WWD Tyrannosaurus
13 (9.2%)
Colorata Dino Cretaceous T. rex
4 (2.8%)
Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. Dino Kingdom 2012 Tyrannosaurus
6 (4.2%)
Linde Tyrannosaurus
1 (0.7%)
Kabaya Tyrannosaurus
6 (4.2%)
Marx skinny Tyrannosaurus
5 (3.5%)
Marx "Potbelly" Tyrannosaurus
6 (4.2%)
Bullyland Museum Line T. rex
7 (4.9%)
Revoltech T. rex
14 (9.9%)
Sinclair Tyrannosaurus
2 (1.4%)
Mold-A-Rama Tyrannosaurus
1 (0.7%)
MPC Tyrannosaurus
3 (2.1%)
Kenner Young "Jurassic Park" Tyrannosaurus
9 (6.3%)
Mojo deluxe T. rex
4 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Lusotitan

Invicta, Battat, and Carnegie are my favorites.

suspsy

Quote from: Tyrant Lizard Queen on December 30, 2014, 02:07:25 PM
Quote from: suspsy on December 30, 2014, 01:54:15 PM
P.S. As for feathered trex - I wasnt the one who started talking about it. Other than that, there are 0 evidence to feathers on trex anyways.. So I stand behind my point.

There is actually more evidence that Tyrannosaurus rex possessed some degree of feathers than there is that it possessed none. We know for an absolute fact that Yutyrannus and Dilong possessed them. We also know that dinosaurs as large as Deinocheirus possessed them. Phylogenetic bracketing means that it's perfectly reasonable, even likely, that T. rex had feathers. No one can force you to like that interpretation any more than Spinosaurus fans can be forced to like the semiaquatic quadruped theory, but to claim that there is no evidence is simply fallacious.

Im sorry but this proves nothing, at all. Relatives having feathers doesn't make every specie of the same family to have feathers. Just because Yutyrannus was feathered it doesnt make Trex feathered too.

Feathered tyrannosaurus rex is only a theory / speculation at best. I would rather backup my arguments by actual facts like non existant marks of any feathers on any of the found t-rex fossils, then speculations.

You are aware of the fact that feathers normally do not survive the fossilization process, I hope? Not every Archaeopteryx fossil has them. For that matter, no known Deinonychus fossils have feathers. Nor do any known terror bird fossils. And similarly, no one has ever found a Smilodon or an Arctodus fossil with fur. How do we know that these animals possessed feathers and fur? Phylogenetic bracketing.

So while there's currently no direct fossil proof that T. Rex had feathers, there's definitely inferential proof. By contrast, there's no proof at all for it not having feathers.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Manatee

Quote from: Tyrant Lizard Queen on December 30, 2014, 02:07:25 PM
Quote from: suspsy on December 30, 2014, 01:54:15 PM
P.S. As for feathered trex - I wasnt the one who started talking about it. Other than that, there are 0 evidence to feathers on trex anyways.. So I stand behind my point.

There is actually more evidence that Tyrannosaurus rex possessed some degree of feathers than there is that it possessed none. We know for an absolute fact that Yutyrannus and Dilong possessed them. We also know that dinosaurs as large as Deinocheirus possessed them. Phylogenetic bracketing means that it's perfectly reasonable, even likely, that T. rex had feathers. No one can force you to like that interpretation any more than Spinosaurus fans can be forced to like the semiaquatic quadruped theory, but to claim that there is no evidence is simply fallacious.

Im sorry but this proves nothing, at all. Relatives having feathers doesn't make every specie of the same family to have feathers. Just because Yutyrannus was feathered it doesnt make Trex feathered too.

Feathered tyrannosaurus rex is only a theory / speculation at best. I would rather backup my arguments by actual facts like non existant marks of any feathers on any of the found t-rex fossils, then speculations.

So far, every non-feathered, recreation / representation of tyrannosaurus rex are technically correct.
As for your last comment, not necessarily. Older tail-dragging T. rexes are not correct, no matter how you put it.
I don't mean to turn this topic into a feathering debate, so we should probably stop before the inevitable outward spiral of people arguing about integument begins, but technically we don't have any solid proof that Utahraptor, Archaeornithomimus, or Alvarezsaurus has feathers. However, we can probably all agree that they do, as that's what their taxonomic positions show us. I don't see any reason why T. rex should be different, although it is undeniable it makes no sense to turn it into a giant All Yesterdays-style ball of fuzz.

Edit:
In an attempt to stay more on topic, my favorites are the Kaiyodo CQ Feathered T. rex (which is the only one I own), and, judging from online pictures, the recent Favorites and perhaps the Carnegie. The CQ one has nearly-perfect accuracy, as shown here by this picture I put together of the skull:

I did cut it off from the top of the mandible, both because the jaw was open wider in the reference I used than the Kaiyodo model and I accidentally did it when rotating the picture.

suspsy

EDIT: Glad you woke up! We were talking about Papo taking a freaking Inspiration from Stan, obviously. That doesnt change the fact it took most of its design choices from Winston, who recreated t-rex with accuracy in mind ( with some flaws ofc). If you even cared to read the whole discussion you would realise why calling it a fantasy monster is a complete nonsense.

This is overly hostile and rude and doesn't help your argument one bit.

DinoToyForum

Tyrant Lizard Queen is banned for continued rudeness in spite of moderator warnings.  C:-)
---
Back on topic...

I knew there would be some love for Invicta.

I suppose we will be voting for our favourite T. rex rather than the 'best', which is a bit more objective, at least when it comes to accuracy.

suspsy

Oy, Invicta! Can't forget that one! That beautiful red T. Rex with the crocodiles texture and the insanely long tail made me a very happy child indeed! :)

Meso-Cenozoic

The Carnegie 25th Anniversary T. rex was mentioned, as it should be, but I also think their 10th Anniversary T. rex should be included. I've always liked him, especially the one I have from the first releases. The eyes got a bit funny with later figures. :o

Others to be considered that I don't believe have been mentioned:

Bullyland Museum Line
Schleich (the new red one for me)
Toyway WwD (not the greatest, but probably should be included)
CollectA's 2008 Deluxe bending low and bellowing (another JP inspired figure, but still good enough to be included I think)

Also, IMO, I think all three of Papo's should be included. The original green standing figure is still actually my favorite of the three. I like the attention that was given to the blends of muted color shades (mine was one of the first releases and it really has several shades of greens, browns and tans compared to later releases of it which had more of a dominate green scheme going on) and I believe there are a bit more fine details on it compared to the brown one. Just a thought. ^-^

stargatedalek

I'm a bit late here, but on the topic of feathers I'm just going to say one thing;
If you really need evidence found on individual species to prove they had soft integument, enjoy your bald smilodon. ;)

Now per the actual topic; I tend to generally avoid tyrannosaurus figures unless they have something novel going for them, so I only own the Jurassic Park ones (and IIRC a few safari minis). My list would comprise the "3 main" JP tyrannosaurus, the upcoming CollectA release, the large Sega Vinyl model, and the CapsuleQ tyrannosaurus's. I would argue in favor of including REBOR if we were to include the Sega and Kaiyodo figures, since arguably none of them are toys.

tyrantqueen

Oh, I want to add CollectA's upcoming feathered Tyrannosaurus to my favourites, as well as the fuzzy baby. Shame about the saggy ankles on the baby though.

What about the 2009 JP Bull rex? I'm not a fan of Jurassic Park toys in general, but it looks pretty cool despite being a movie monster. I like the ball jointed ankles.

Lusotitan

Could someone link to some pictures of some of the JP ones?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Lusotitan on December 30, 2014, 04:23:26 PM
Could someone link to some pictures of some of the JP ones?

You can find pics here of all of them : http://www.jptoys.com/toy-database/index.php

Megalosaurus

I've explained why do I like the featherless replicas of TRex in the "feathering proof" thread. Although I don't want to discuss them here, I'll say (for the ones that doesn't know about it) that there are actual fossils of TRex scally skin imprints of several part of its bodies. There are also a couple scally imprints of tarbosaurus (closely related to TRex). But do you want a deeper discussion? Go to the proper thread. Here you are:  http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1742.0 and http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1804.0

So I vote for the featherless models of Safari, Favorite, Papo (I like Sideshow but it its not a toy).

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 30, 2014, 03:37:33 PM
[...]
If you really need evidence found on individual species to prove they had soft integument, enjoy your bald smilodon. ;)
I respect your point of view but... do you know here in México we do enjoy our bald dogs. They are called the xoloitzcuintle.

Just joking, don't take it to seriusly.

As for the CollectA 2015, the legs looks a bit stiff and tail looks overflexible. May be is just the angle of the catalog picture (I've said before that we should wait for it to be released before make judments).

Hasn't anyone mention the Carnage TRex? Being an action figure it actually deserves a good place in terms of playability. I'll include it.

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Carnage/Resarus Rex is a good one too..I have 6 of them.. lol

Dinomike

I'm on holiday in Bangkok and found the new Carnegie T.rex in a local department store.  I was really close to buying it but I just couldn't get padt the paint job.  The head on the model is excellent but I just couldn't buy it and went for the Safari Pachyrhinosaurus!  After all it was voted the secobd best model this year! Not much of 2014 left - I believe it's time for me to wish everyone Happy New year!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Dinomike

Quote from: Megalosaurus on December 30, 2014, 12:16:50 AM
I'll include REBOR's King T-Rex.
I also vote for the Papo Standing & the Running, the Sega one, and the Battat.
I don't know if you are talking about this one, but I also vote for it:

I don't believe anyone could say that the invicta is in the top 10 (may be it was in its time)
I think none of us can be fair voting for the unreleased CollectA one.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 30, 2014, 12:12:41 AM
I'd definitely include the JP rexes, I suspect the 'big red rex' might even win...  ;)
[...]

I'll include then the JP thrasher rex.

The Trasher T.rex definitely needs to ne included as well as Rexford. Oh poor me! I saw the Safari T.rex today but didn't buy it! I should have...its definitely a cool figure!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Dinomike

After all this my favorites are: Battat T.rex, Papo running T.rex, Invicta, Safari T.rex (the new one), JP Trasher and Favorite non-feathered T.rex.

postsaurischian

??? Favourite 10 toy rexes? (in alphabetical order)

~ Battat v.3
~ Colorata Dino Cretaceous Vol.1
~ Favorite Soft model, old version
~ Favorite Soft model, new unfeathered brown version
~ Invicta
~ Kaiyodo CapsuleQ (unfeathered brown version)
~ Papo running monster
~ REBOR
~ SEGA price vinyl figure
~ TAKARA TOMY A.R.T.S. Dino Kingdom 2012 (brown feathered figure on one foot)

(Favourite T. rex ever: Sideshow Krentz Tyrannosaurus!!!!!! ....... simply unbeatable :)!)

suspsy

Quote from: Megalosaurus on December 30, 2014, 05:25:02 PM
I've explained why do I like the featherless replicas of TRex in the "feathering proof" thread. Although I don't want to discuss them here, I'll say (for the ones that doesn't know about it) that there are actual fossils of TRex scally skin imprints of several part of its bodies. There are also a couple scally imprints of tarbosaurus (closely related to TRex).

That doesn't prove anything beyond the texture of the skin. Preserved woolly mammoths have been discovered with all the fur gone from their bodies.

Gwangi

I just updated the first post to include most of the suggestions made thus far. There are a few action figures on there, some retro toys and Chinasaurs as well. If anyone else can think of any they want to see on the list please make it known. I'm hesitant to add too many more of the Chinasaurs simply because I doubt they'll get enough votes to make them worth putting up there. There are also a lot of Kaiyodo models I left out simply because I think we can all agree that the Capsule Q Museum ones are the best they've come out with. If someone thinks otherwise speak freely!

And if I missed the suggestion of any particular member just say so, I unfortunately had to wade through a lot of off topic bickering in order to find topic relevant suggestions! Not that I can complain too much, I've certainly gotten involved in my share of off topic debates and arguments. Serves me right I suppose.

tyrantqueen

QuoteAnd if I missed the suggestion of any particular member just say so, I unfortunately had to wade through a lot of off topic bickering in order to find topic relevant suggestions! Not that I can complain too much, I've certainly gotten involved in my share of off topic debates and arguments. Serves me right I suppose.
I wouldn't call it bickering, more like one-sided bullying. Thankfully the offender has been banned.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.