News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 Tyrannosaurus Toys [Completed]

Started by Gwangi, December 29, 2014, 11:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your choices for the top 10 Tyrannosaurus toys?

Battat Tyrannosaurus
71 (50%)
Favorite original soft model Tyrannosaurus
22 (15.5%)
Favorite new soft model Tyrannosaurus
23 (16.2%)
Favorite feathered soft model Tyrannosaurus
16 (11.3%)
Papo standing T. rex
52 (36.6%)
Papo running T. rex
56 (39.4%)
Papo baby T. rex
11 (7.7%)
CollectA baby T. rex
17 (12%)
CollectA Deluxe Tyrannosaurus
21 (14.8%)
CollectA Tyrannosaurus rex with prey
7 (4.9%)
Invicta Tyrannosaurus
33 (23.2%)
Sega vinyl Tyrannosaurus
27 (19%)
Safari Ltd. "Sue at the Field Museum" Tyrannosaurus pair
20 (14.1%)
Wild Safari Tyrannosaurus (by Doug Watson)
41 (28.9%)
Kaiyodo Capsule Q Feathered Tyrannosaurus
28 (19.7%)
Kaiyodo Capsule Q Scaly Tyrannosaurus
20 (14.1%)
Carnegie Tyrannosaurus
9 (6.3%)
Carnegie 10th Anniversary T. rex
26 (18.3%)
Carnegie 25th Anniversary T. rex
35 (24.6%)
Kenner "Jurassic Park" "Big Red" original T. rex
37 (26.1%)
Kenner "The Lost World" Thrasher T. rex
29 (20.4%)
Kenner Bull T. rex
17 (12%)
Hasbro CamoXtreme JP3 Tyrannosaurus
2 (1.4%)
Hasbro CamoXtreme Canyon JP3 Tyrannosaurus
3 (2.1%)
Tyco Dino-Riders/Smithsonian Tyrannosaurus
15 (10.6%)
Dor Mei Tyrannosaurus
1 (0.7%)
Imperial Tyrannosaurus
4 (2.8%)
Carnage Resaurus T. rex
11 (7.7%)
Schleich World of History Tyrannosaurus
9 (6.3%)
Toyway WWD Tyrannosaurus
13 (9.2%)
Colorata Dino Cretaceous T. rex
4 (2.8%)
Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. Dino Kingdom 2012 Tyrannosaurus
6 (4.2%)
Linde Tyrannosaurus
1 (0.7%)
Kabaya Tyrannosaurus
6 (4.2%)
Marx skinny Tyrannosaurus
5 (3.5%)
Marx "Potbelly" Tyrannosaurus
6 (4.2%)
Bullyland Museum Line T. rex
7 (4.9%)
Revoltech T. rex
14 (9.9%)
Sinclair Tyrannosaurus
2 (1.4%)
Mold-A-Rama Tyrannosaurus
1 (0.7%)
MPC Tyrannosaurus
3 (2.1%)
Kenner Young "Jurassic Park" Tyrannosaurus
9 (6.3%)
Mojo deluxe T. rex
4 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Lusotitan

Should the JP Arctic and Canyon rexes be included?

Gwangi

Quote from: Lusotitan on December 31, 2014, 12:32:14 AM
Should the JP Arctic and Canyon rexes be included?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they are just paint variations of the already listed Hasbro JP3 T. rex.

suspsy

Arctic T. Rex uses the small mould. Canyon uses the larger one.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Gwangi

Alright, it's on the list. I better see a couple votes for it though from those who suggested it!  ;) My original intention was for this to be a short poll with the choices narrowed down to a more manageable number of contenders but we now have 40 models on that list, a lot of which I think we can all agree upon won't make any top ten list. That said, it will still be interesting to see who votes for them so lets carry on I suppose.  :)

Any other requests? I'm starting to think the other Kaiyodo Dinotales models should be on there too. Any one agree or disagree?

sauroid

does the Revoltech T. rex qualify?
*btw, glad one of the burden members is gone*
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Gwangi

Quote from: sauroid on December 31, 2014, 03:40:32 AM

I hadn't ever seen it before, that figure is intense! Yeah, I'll put it up there.

sauroid

just a reference pic for people who havent seen the Revoltech T. rex yet (not my pic)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Libraraptor

My top 10 Tyrannosaur figures

1. Invicta

:D :D

DinoLord

The Revoltech is a nice one, though it is a bit hard to figure out the articulation at first. Despite the retroness I've always been fond of the Invicta model as well. It's retro, but in a very elegant manner.

Patrx

Honestly, I've no specific affinity for retro dinosaurs, or even Invicta in particular - but there is something weirdly charming about that waxy red Tyrannosaurus. I picked one up online some time ago, and it stands proudly atop my windowsill. It has a very stately, dignified property to it, somehow.

SpittersForEver

Didn't last long.....

SpittersForEver

My favourite is the papo running T.rex.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: SpittersForEver on December 31, 2014, 09:32:10 PM

Didn't last long.....
What didn't?

SpittersForEver

Sim

Quote from: Gwangi on December 29, 2014, 11:20:29 PM
The "Best toys of 2015" thread got me itching to formulate other top ten list and what better place to start than with Tyrannosaurus rex.  I figured that before we have a poll made to vote for the top ten we should discuss who should be included in the poll in the first place. And where should we limit ourselves? I think resin models and kits should probably be kept out and we should limit ourselves to proper toys/figures/collectables. I only say that because the list of statues and kits and Shapeways models and all that would not only be impossibly long but naturally dominate the votes as well.
Hehe, since Tyrannosaurus is (I think) the most popular and well-known dinosaur, it makes sense the poll would be big.  I don't think this is a very good time for this though, as the CollectA 2015 Tyrannosaurus and the Battat Tyrannosaurus reissue (which I think has a good chance of being amazing) have both not been released yet, and I'm predicting these 2 figures will be very much liked by a lot of people.  I suppose another poll could always be done in addition to this one.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to include unreleased figures, as the final product is always at least a little different from pre-release pictures of it.  In this case, the CollectA 2015 Tyrannosaurus can only be seen from one angle of one pre-release picture which doesn't look like it has the articulated jaw yet.  It's not known how well it will stand and it wouldn't surprise me if something gets added to its feet to help it stand - CollectA has had problems in this area.  If any unreleased figure is included with released figures in a popularity poll I doubt the results will ever end up being completely accurate.

I like the Battat Tyrannosaurus best.  It looks very good and it's very accurate and detailed.  I recently found the one I had when I was a child (it's a version 3 one) and it's extremely durable (it's made of quite hard plastic)!  I played with it a lot as a child, but none of it has broken off, it's still got all it's arms, claws and individually sculpted teeth.  The individually sculpted teeth and superior poses of the Battat T. rexes and the 1999 Carnegie T. rex make me consider them better than the 2014 Carnegie T. rex whose teeth are joined together.  Several of the review pages on the Dino Toy Blog (e.g. the 2014 Carnegie Tyrannosaurus, 2012 WS Ceratosaurus, WS Acrocanthosaurus) mention the tail bases of these figures lack a big caudofemoralis muscle they should have.  The Battat Tyrannosaurus however has a large caudofemoralis, and it's from the 1990s!  In my opinion a lot of the Battat dinosaurs are still the best representation of that species ever produced, the Tyrannosaurus is one of them.

Gwangi

You make a lot of valid points but I'm afraid I'm too invested now to wait until these new models are released.  :-\ If the Battat model is simply a re-paint then I think we're still safe with the older model being an option without the new one on there. Plus, we don't even have a release date for it do we?

You're certainly right about the CollectA model though, the actual product is often quite different from the stock photo. Maybe it should just be an honorable mention in the top ten? Yeah, I like that idea.

The Battat T. rex is my top choice as well. It, along with the Safari Sue models (I prefer the mouth closed one), the two Capsule Q models, the Invicta and the big Sega vinyl will all get votes from me.

There are other Sega T. rex figures too correct? Similar to the big red one? Should they be included too? Anyone have information about them?

EDIT: I don't think we need to worry too much about the Battat and CollectA T. rex. If they're really as good as we're hoping they'll no doubt be on the "Top Ten 2015" list.

Takama

Quote from: sauroid on December 31, 2014, 12:08:37 PM
just a reference pic for people who havent seen the Revoltech T. rex yet (not my pic)

Revoltech is going to release a new Version with a Diffrent head and Colorscheme 

Sim

Quote from: Gwangi on December 31, 2014, 11:41:51 PM
You make a lot of valid points but I'm afraid I'm too invested now to wait until these new models are released.  :-\ If the Battat model is simply a re-paint then I think we're still safe with the older model being an option without the new one on there. Plus, we don't even have a release date for it do we?

You're certainly right about the CollectA model though, the actual product is often quite different from the stock photo. Maybe it should just be an honorable mention in the top ten? Yeah, I like that idea.

The Battat T. rex is my top choice as well. It, along with the Safari Sue models (I prefer the mouth closed one), the two Capsule Q models, the Invicta and the big Sega vinyl will all get votes from me.

There are other Sega T. rex figures too correct? Similar to the big red one? Should they be included too? Anyone have information about them?

EDIT: I don't think we need to worry too much about the Battat and CollectA T. rex. If they're really as good as we're hoping they'll no doubt be on the "Top Ten 2015" list.
I thought about this a bit more after my post, and actually I think now is a good time for this.  If one waits for future releases, the topic, its poll and the fun that comes from it also has to wait!  The poll is for the top 10 Tyrannosaurus toys currently in existence after all!  Sometimes I don't realise something straight away.  You're doing a good job with this thread Gwangi!

Happy New Year!

Daspletodave

It's not even close- the first two you listed. Battat T-Rex (in 1:40 scale) and the original Favorite (2004) T-Rex (in 1:50 scale).
Even more amazing is that the Favorite T-Rex stands on its own two feet - normal feet, not over-sized feet, and without that tripod tail. These are easily the two best T-Rex sculpts EVER!!!

Gwangi

If anyone else has anymore suggestions now would be the time. The thread seems to be dieing down so I intend on putting the poll together tomorrow.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.