News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

M

Top 10 Crocodilian Figures [Completed]

Started by Manatee, January 02, 2015, 08:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are the top ten prehistoric "crocodilian" figures?

Bullyland Batrachotomus
Bullyland Paratypothorax
Bullyland Arizonasaurus
Bullyland Protochirotherium
Schleich Desmatosuchus
Tedco Prehistoric Panorama Desmatosuchus
Safari Toob Desmatosuchus
CollectA Sarcosuchus
Mojo Sarcosuchus
Safari Toob Sarcosuchus
WWD Postosuchus
Wild Safari Postosuchus
Safari Toob Postosuchus
Schleich Deinosuchus
Carnegie Deinosuchus
Kaiyodo Rutiodon
Safari Toob Rutiodon
Wild Safari Kaprosuchus
Kenner (JP) Ornithosuchus
Starlux Ornithosuchus
Kaiyodo Metriorhynchus
Safari Toob Suchodus (Metriorhynchus)
Play Visions Metriorhynchus
Dawn of the Dinosaurs Saurosuchus
Yowies Quinkana
Starlux Saltoposuchus
Inpro Saltoposuchus
Safari Toob Pristichampsus
Safari Toob Dakosaurus
Safari Toob Montealtosuchus
Primaeval Designs Saurosuchus
Safari Toob Euparkeria
Safari Toob Proterosuchus (Chasmatosaurus)
Yowies Tasmaniosaurus
Safari Toob Champsosaurus
Yowies Trilophosuchus

SBell

Quote from: ARUL on January 03, 2015, 03:15:01 AM
Papo dont have any crocodilian figure ?

Just ordinary modern crocodillians. Which kept out several other modern figures from every company.

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 03, 2015, 04:39:27 PM
Quote from: Manatee on January 03, 2015, 02:36:21 PMOn the Animal Planet Protosuchus, if anyone knows who actually made the Protosuchus I will change the name.
I've never seen it, could you link some photos of it?

Here it is:

stargatedalek

Thank you SBell, sadly I have no idea of the manufacturer (I would assume its unlabelled). I suppose in this case its best to simply call it Animal Planet.

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 03, 2015, 07:58:20 PM
Thank you SBell, sadly I have no idea of the manufacturer (I would assume its unlabelled). I suppose in this case its best to simply call it Animal Planet.

It's a TRU exclusive line called Micro Kingdom.

This is a bigger set that includes some of the other figures:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ved2fsvhqey94v/HPIM6717.jpg?dl=0

I'd get it for the fun little people, but I can't justify $30 for that set.

The dinos (and wild animals, as well) were available in store in small packs as well.

stargatedalek

Most of the animals I've seen in the Micro Kingdom sets don't come close to that protosuchus!

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 03, 2015, 08:24:32 PM
Most of the animals I've seen in the Micro Kingdom sets don't come close to that protosuchus!

It's the only reason I bought the set (the Stygimoloch is alright I suppose). Most are just terrible little things.

I also have the hyena, which is also pleasing.

EDIT--

EDIT2--I put the first edit in the wrong place. Oops.

Sim

Keeping a list of which figures should go in the poll in the original post would've been good, so everyone could agree on who should go in the poll before the poll goes live!

Quote from: Manatee on January 03, 2015, 02:36:21 PM
The Euparkeria was purposely not included. Euparkeria is not a crocodilian or phytosaur, but rather a more primitive archosauriform close to the ancestry of true archosaurs.
The only crocodilians in the poll are Deinosuchus, Quinkana and Pristichampsus, and the only phytosaur is Rutiodon.  Champsosaurus, Tasmaniosaurus and Trilophosaurus are more distantly related to all the other animals in the poll than Euparkeria is.  The Safari toob Proterosuchus (labelled Chasmatosaurus which is a junior synonym of Proterosuchus) isn't in the poll despite being very closely related to Tasmaniosaurus who is in the poll.  I don't think a Safari Ornithosuchus exists?

Manatee

Quote from: Sim on January 03, 2015, 10:21:11 PM
Keeping a list of which figures should go in the poll in the original post would've been good, so everyone could agree on who should go in the poll before the poll goes live!

The Euparkeria was purposely not included. Euparkeria is not a crocodilian or phytosaur, but rather a more primitive archosauriform close to the ancestry of true archosaurs.
The only crocodilians in the poll are Deinosuchus, Quinkana and Pristichampsus, and the only phytosaur is Rutiodon.  Champsosaurus, Tasmaniosaurus and Trilophosaurus are more distantly related to all the other animals in the poll than Euparkeria is.  The Safari toob Proterosuchus (labelled Chasmatosaurus which is a junior synonym of Proterosuchus) isn't in the poll despite being very closely related to Tasmaniosaurus who is in the poll.  I don't think a Safari Ornithosuchus exists?
You made a very good point. I'll include the Euparkeria and safari Protero, and remove the nonexistent Ornitho. Thanks for clearing things up; I actually didn't know much about Tasmaniosaurus, Champsosaurus, and Trilophosaurus' classification, and was using the term "crocodilian" rather loosely as it was.

SBell

Quote from: Manatee on January 03, 2015, 10:44:38 PM

You made a very good point. I'll include the Euparkeria and safari Protero, and remove the nonexistent Ornitho. Thanks for clearing things up; I actually didn't know much about Tasmaniosaurus, Champsosaurus, and Trilophosaurus' classification, and was using the term "crocodilian" rather loosely as it was.

The Trilophosaurus, as it were, is not made by Yowies. It is a stand-in figure from a bin-set of lizards. It shouldn't be in there (not that it would, or should, even place).

Perhaps this poll should be renamed Top 10 Fossil Crurotarsans? Pedantry! ;D

Manatee

Quote from: SBell on January 03, 2015, 11:21:07 PM

The Trilophosaurus, as it were, is not made by Yowies. It is a stand-in figure from a bin-set of lizards. It shouldn't be in there (not that it would, or should, even place).

But all archosaurs are crurotarsans!

SBell

Quote from: Manatee on January 03, 2015, 11:35:46 PM
Quote from: SBell on January 03, 2015, 11:21:07 PM

But all archosaurs are crurotarsans!

Sorry, I'm being old-school/new school.

And it depends on how it is defined--the original definition is similar to Pseudosuchia. When used as defined by Sereno & Arucci (1990) it includes the archosaurs that are not in the bird-line archosaur line (apparently referred to as Avemetatarsalia although it would then exclude some, like Euparkeria.

In short, all archosaurs are not crurotarsans. But all crurotarsans are achosaurs.

Sim

I noticed Trilophosaurus and Champsosaurus are no longer in the poll, so now the poll could be named: Top 10 prehistoric non-avemetatarsalian archosauriforme figures!  Hehe!  :))

Manatee

It does depend on how it is defined, but I believe the current definition the clade containing archosaurs and phytosaurs. Also, Sereno and Arucci's definition is what Pseudosuchia is today, according to the most recent cladogram by Sterling Nesbitt in 2011. The only difference between Pseudosuchia in that cladogram and Sereno and Arucci's Crurotarsi definition is that Sereno's includes phytosaurs, which are now considered to be outside of Archosauria.

Trilophosaurus was taken out because apparently it's not a Yowie. I forgot to put Champso back in.

SBell

Quote from: Manatee on January 04, 2015, 12:09:23 AM
It does depend on how it is defined, but I believe the current definition the clade containing archosaurs and phytosaurs. Also, Sereno and Arucci's definition is what Pseudosuchia is today, according to the most recent cladogram by Sterling Nesbitt in 2011. The only difference between Pseudosuchia in that cladogram and Sereno and Arucci's Crurotarsi definition is that Sereno's includes phytosaurs, which are now considered to be outside of Archosauria.

Trilophosaurus was taken out because apparently it's not a Yowie. I forgot to put Champso back in.

But according to Brusatte, Benton, Desojo and Langer (2010) Phytosaurs are the sister group to the rest of the Crurotarsii. Which is as a group a sister to the Avemetatarsalia.

And yeah, it's pretty much the same as Pseudosuchia. Because taxonomically, it's whatever the describer describes it it.

Manatee

I guess it's really just a matter of which cladogram you choose to believe.

Roselaar

Trilophosaurus is not a Yowie figure indeed, but Trilophosuchus is. ;)

It's the croc on the right.

Libraraptor

Made eight hooks, one of which included Protochirotherium. THe whole history behind both the disvovery of the fossil and my discovery of the figure is very special. Besides, amongst others, I chose Wild Safari Postosuchus and Starlux classics.

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on January 04, 2015, 10:43:17 AM

Trilophosaurus is not a Yowie figure indeed, but Trilophosuchus is. ;)

It's the croc on the right.

Of course--the Ridge-headed mekosuchine.

DC

I did not vote for it but Saltaposuchus  deserves a mention inpro or Starlux just because they came out when there were almost no Triassic animals.  The predators series also has a few crocs.  I think the QRF Stagonolepis is nice for the size.  Lontic also has a Postosuchus.  Desmatosuchus was one of the few out standing figures from Schleich and I think it lasted a year.  I do not expect them to have anything that good again.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Arul

New version of spinosaurus by collecta  is very "crocodilian"  :o

Gwangi

Quote from: ARUL on January 09, 2015, 04:19:13 AM
New version of spinosaurus by collecta  is very "crocodilian"  :o

Looks crocodilian, but it's not a crocodilian.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.