News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

M

Top 10 Crocodilian Figures [Completed]

Started by Manatee, January 02, 2015, 08:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are the top ten prehistoric "crocodilian" figures?

Bullyland Batrachotomus
Bullyland Paratypothorax
Bullyland Arizonasaurus
Bullyland Protochirotherium
Schleich Desmatosuchus
Tedco Prehistoric Panorama Desmatosuchus
Safari Toob Desmatosuchus
CollectA Sarcosuchus
Mojo Sarcosuchus
Safari Toob Sarcosuchus
WWD Postosuchus
Wild Safari Postosuchus
Safari Toob Postosuchus
Schleich Deinosuchus
Carnegie Deinosuchus
Kaiyodo Rutiodon
Safari Toob Rutiodon
Wild Safari Kaprosuchus
Kenner (JP) Ornithosuchus
Starlux Ornithosuchus
Kaiyodo Metriorhynchus
Safari Toob Suchodus (Metriorhynchus)
Play Visions Metriorhynchus
Dawn of the Dinosaurs Saurosuchus
Yowies Quinkana
Starlux Saltoposuchus
Inpro Saltoposuchus
Safari Toob Pristichampsus
Safari Toob Dakosaurus
Safari Toob Montealtosuchus
Primaeval Designs Saurosuchus
Safari Toob Euparkeria
Safari Toob Proterosuchus (Chasmatosaurus)
Yowies Tasmaniosaurus
Safari Toob Champsosaurus
Yowies Trilophosuchus

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on January 09, 2015, 12:14:38 PM
Quote from: ARUL on January 09, 2015, 04:19:13 AM
New version of spinosaurus by collecta  is very "crocodilian"  :o

Looks crocodilian, but it's not a crocodilian.
Convergent evolution then.

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 09, 2015, 04:22:57 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on January 09, 2015, 12:14:38 PM
Quote from: ARUL on January 09, 2015, 04:19:13 AM
New version of spinosaurus by collecta  is very "crocodilian"  :o

Looks crocodilian, but it's not a crocodilian.
Convergent evolution then.

Indeed, much like phytosaurs and so many other animals in this thread that are related to crocodilians but did not actually give rise to proper crocodilians.

DinoToyForum

Does anyone have a good photo of the Schleich Desmatosuchus I could use in the top 10 video? O:-) The ones on the Dinotoyblog are a bit blurry: http://dinotoyblog.com/2009/12/22/desmatosuchus-schleich/ Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit - I could do with a photo of the Kaiyodo Rutiodon too, if anyone has one they wouldn't mind sharing?

SBell

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 14, 2015, 05:51:57 PM
Does anyone have a good photo of the Schleich Desmatosuchus I could use in the top 10 video? O:-) The ones on the Dinotoyblog are a bit blurry: http://dinotoyblog.com/2009/12/22/desmatosuchus-schleich/ Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit - I could do with a photo of the Kaiyodo Rutiodon too, if anyone has one they wouldn't mind sharing?

My Rutiodon one isn't too bad:

If you're at a loss for the Desmatosuchus, I can probably take one of mine--my current photo is terrible though.

DinoToyForum

Thanks Sbell! I might photoshop the scale bar out for the purposes of the video  :)

SBell

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 15, 2015, 11:40:22 AM
Thanks Sbell! I might photoshop the scale bar out for the purposes of the video  :)

Sounds good. I can also try to retake a photo of it when I retake the Desmatosuchus (minus scale bar).

DinoToyForum

Quote from: SBell on January 15, 2015, 01:56:22 PM

Sounds good. I can also try to retake a photo of it when I retake the Desmatosuchus (minus scale bar).

That would be even better, since no Desmatosuchus photos have been forthcoming - I'd very much appreciate it. I'll credit you in the video, of course.  :)

Roger

Interesting poll of croc salade! ;) Surely I want to participate and I already did. Although my avatar is CollectA sarcosuchus, my favorite is also Safari postosuchus that I intend to acquire soon. :D

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Roger on January 18, 2015, 08:19:00 PM
Interesting poll of croc salade! ;) Surely I want to participate and I already did. Although my avatar is CollectA sarcosuchus, my favorite is also Safari postosuchus that I intend to acquire soon. :D

Thanks for voting Roger! I agree with you, WS Postosuchus is the best. Actually, one of the best figures ever, crocodiles or not!  :)

SBell

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 15, 2015, 02:56:45 PM
Quote from: SBell on January 15, 2015, 01:56:22 PM

That would be even better, since no Desmatosuchus photos have been forthcoming - I'd very much appreciate it. I'll credit you in the video, of course.  :)

Sorry, it got away from me this weekend--I'll try to get pics tomorrow. Any others you need? I don't think I'm missing a single one from the list!

DinoToyForum

Thanks Sbell, no rush, the votes are still coming in. I have photos from the blog of the other figures leading the pack...

Roger

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 18, 2015, 09:37:47 PM
Quote from: Roger on January 18, 2015, 08:19:00 PM

Thanks for voting Roger! I agree with you, WS Postosuchus is the best. Actually, one of the best figures ever, crocodiles or not!  :)

Yes, it is not easy to find negative points in Safari postosuchus, it is also a very pleasant looking figure. Actually, I am trying also to get the retired Bullyland batrachotomus to join to my arizonasaurus and paratypothorax. These polls are very interesting. I never considered to get the Safari caprosuchus  but judging the high number of votes, it is also surely a very recomendable figure. :D

DinoToyForum

The winners! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8dadtfIVnY

I can create a new video in the future if votes change and/or new figures get released  :)

amargasaurus cazaui

All I can say is wow, crocodile collectors have it made.....I like psittacosaurus and if i tried a poll like this, I would be hard pressed to find even five models to enter in the poll....lucky guys
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoToyForum

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 24, 2015, 10:57:44 PM
All I can say is wow, crocodile collectors have it made.....I like psittacosaurus and if i tried a poll like this, I would be hard pressed to find even five models to enter in the poll....lucky guys

You could set up a 'best basal ceratopsian toy' poll/thread ;) I bet you could find 10 at least?

Gwangi

Well I should point out that Psittacosaurus only represents a single genus of dinosaur. The crocodilians in this poll represent an entire group of animals, some of which were pretty distantly related. A fan of any specific crocodilian genus would still be hard pressed to find much to represent it. Postosuchus is the most popular it would seem but still only with 3 models I can think of. Psittacosaurus is much better represented than any one of the genus listed in this poll.  ;)

SBell

Quote from: Gwangi on January 24, 2015, 11:25:16 PM

Well I should point out that Psittacosaurus only represents a single genus of dinosaur. The crocodilians in this poll represent an entire group of animals, some of which were pretty distantly related. A fan of any specific crocodilian genus would still be hard pressed to find much to represent it. Postosuchus is the most popular it would seem but still only with 3 models I can think of. Psittacosaurus is much better represented than any one of the genus listed in this poll.  ;)

I have 5 Postosuchus figures, right now, that I can think of! WwD, Safari, Safari toob, Predators, Lontic/dollar store-y. And there is a Salvat as well, but I try to avoid large-scale bootleg companies.

After that, Desmatosuchus had a good run at one point, and then they pretty much drop away to one, maybe two figures, here or there. So it really is very much like any other prehistoric animal, save the must-make ones--and we all know what those are!

Gwangi

Quote from: SBell on January 24, 2015, 11:55:00 PM
I have 5 Postosuchus figures, right now, that I can think of! WwD, Safari, Safari toob, Predators, Lontic/dollar store-y. And there is a Salvat as well, but I try to avoid large-scale bootleg companies.

After that, Desmatosuchus had a good run at one point, and then they pretty much drop away to one, maybe two figures, here or there. So it really is very much like any other prehistoric animal, save the must-make ones--and we all know what those are!

I figured there were others out there, which is why I specifically said "that I can think of". But I deliberately left out the Safari toob since it's a scaled down version of the WS model. I appreciate the info though, but I feel my point is still valid. Taken into context, the genus Psittacosaurus is far better represented than Phytosauria and Pseudosuchia which I should point out are both included in this poll but not very closely related.

All this brings up the interesting question of how many Psittacosaurus toys/models there are? I can think of 10 or so mass produced Psittacosaurus, which means I'm probably missing a lot and Sbell can fill in the rest. Not bad though for the genus if you ask me.

Sim

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 24, 2015, 10:54:40 PM
The winners!

I can create a new video in the future if votes change and/or new figures get released  :)
I liked the music that played while the figures were shown!  Number 11 was said to be Mojo's Sarcosuchus, but the picture was of CollectA's Sarcosuchus!

SBell

Quote from: Sim on January 25, 2015, 02:08:19 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 24, 2015, 10:54:40 PM
The winners!

I liked the music that played while the figures were shown!  Number 11 was said to be Mojo's Sarcosuchus, but the picture was of CollectA's Sarcosuchus!

According to the poll, the CollectA was the 11th favorite. It does make me wonder how many people have compared the two side by side--the Mojo is a better figure.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.