News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 pterosaur toys [Failed]

Started by Concavenator, January 25, 2015, 01:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on January 26, 2015, 05:24:20 PM
Quote from: sauroid on January 26, 2015, 05:05:36 PM
arent we supposed to vote for ten of our choices?
I guess you can vote up to ten,but you can vote lesser than ten if you want.
P.S.I includednthe new Schleich Anhanguera.
Hello world.
This poll only allows me to vote for one. So I'll pass on voting until it gets fixed or the author confirms that him/her want it that way.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

triceratops83

Seems like this list could be a LOT longer. For instance there are at least 5 Schleich Quetzalcoatlus alone.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

DinoToyForum

I've locked the poll while we discuss in more detail what should and shouldn't be included. Thanks for setting up the poll Concavenator but there is no rush! :) Best to get it right and save ourselves having to go back to add more figures and change our votes.

Best to first put a list together in the original post so members know what has and hasn't been mentioned at a glance.

Once we have all agreed on the figures to be included, after a week or two, then we can unlock the poll, and update the options.

sauroid

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 26, 2015, 05:43:07 PM
Seems like this list could be a LOT longer. For instance there are at least 5 Schleich Quetzalcoatlus alone.
i agree. let's hear from the others to add more items to the list. there are two Pteranodon in Kaiyodo Jurassic Park III bottlecap series.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

Bullyland Geosternbergia is labelled and sold as a 'Pteranodon sternbergi' so we should call it that to avoid confusion.

Maybe list it like so:

'Bullyland 'Pteranodon' sternbergi (=Geosternbergia) (standing)

I'd also add the flying version for good measure. That is an awesome figure too!

Bullyland do a Pteranodon longiceps too, which should be included:

There are also several Jurassic Park action figures that might receive some love. I'll leave it to someone else to list them :)

btw, you made some typos in the poll, so we can correct these later.

DinoToyForum

I've added a new guide line to make sure we differentiate toys from statues (to level the playing field). I have therefore changed the title of this topic to make it 'toys' rather than 'models'.

Gwangi

Some more that are missing...

Carnegie Quetzalcoatlus
Carnegie Pteranodon
Tyco Pteranodon
Tyco Quetzalcoatlus
Starlux Pteranodon
Starlux Rhamphorhynchus
CollectA Hatzegopteryx
CollectA Ornithocheirus

The old Schleich Anhanguera

And there are tons of others. Here is a thread you might want to refer to...
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=664.0

deanm

;D I suspect I should comment on this thread....  ;)

It is a great list of figures to choose from. 

My pterosaur collection is packed away at the moment (the post move need to build proper display cabinet lingers on...).  I will go through my photos and see if there are any others for consideration.

Cheers to all!

deanm

Some others to consider

Marx Pteranodon
MPC Pteranodon
Marolin Pteranodon
Linde Rhamp.
ROM Pteranodon
Smithsonian Quetzalcoatlus (their special exhibit one not the Tyco figure)
Large Colorata Quetzalcoatlus
Furata Pteranodon
Kaiyodo Bottle-top Rhamps.
WWD French Rhamp figure
starlux Pterodactylus

A few of the above are retro but they occupy a special place as they were for a period of time the only pterosaur figures that were available.

DinoLord

I think the Dinotales Series 4 Pteranodon hasn't been mentioned yet

tanystropheus

Papo also has the very best Ludodactylus on the market.

sauroid

Quote from: DinoLord on January 27, 2015, 03:48:36 AM
I think the Dinotales Series 4 Pteranodon hasn't been mentioned yet
i did but didnt specify series 4 tho
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

stargatedalek

If the Bullyland pterandon is being labeled geosternbergia than the safari tapejara should be labeled as tupandactylus

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 27, 2015, 07:50:30 AM
If the Bullyland pterandon is being labeled geosternbergia than the safari tapejara should be labeled as tupandactylus

And Papo Pteranodon should be labeled as Ludodactylus. As a Pteranodon model it is okay, but as a Ludodactylus it is excellent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludodactylus

"Ludus refers to the fact, long lamented by paleontologists, that many toy pterosaurs combined teeth with a Pteranodon-like head crest, while no such creature was known to exist — however Ludodactylus shows exactly this combination of features..."

Gwangi

I personally think that any of the toys on the list should be labeled as what they are marketed as even if incorrect. I can see someone watching the top 10 video and wondering what the heck a Papo Ludodactylus or Safari Geosternbergia is.

Jetoar

We dont forget the nex Tupuxuara of Papo ;).
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sauroid

Playmobil Pteranodon, Bandai Pteranodon, Sega Dinosaur King Pteranodon

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 27, 2015, 07:58:00 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on January 27, 2015, 07:50:30 AM

And Papo Pteranodon should be labeled as Ludodactylus. As a Pteranodon model it is okay, but as a Ludodactylus it is excellent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludodactylus

"Ludus refers to the fact, long lamented by paleontologists, that many toy pterosaurs combined teeth with a Pteranodon-like head crest, while no such creature was known to exist — however Ludodactylus shows exactly this combination of features..."

Well, for crying out loud. I did not know about this particular pterosaur. Thanks!!!
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.