Author Topic: Top 10 pterosaur toys [Failed]  (Read 7355 times)

Concavenator

• Permian survivor
  • Just a hump-backed carcharodontosaurid from Spain.
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Allosaurus
Re: Top 10 pterosaur toys
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2015, 04:21:38 PM »
If the Bullyland pterandon is being labeled geosternbergia than the safari tapejara should be labeled as tupandactylus

And Papo Pteranodon should be labeled as Ludodactylus. As a Pteranodon model it is okay, but as a Ludodactylus it is excellent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludodactylus

"Ludus refers to the fact, long lamented by paleontologists, that many toy pterosaurs combined teeth with a Pteranodon-like head crest, while no such creature was known to exist however Ludodactylus shows exactly this combination of features..."
Well,anyways it lacks pycnofibers.

stargatedalek

• Pliocene survivor
  • I'm not slow! That's just my moe!
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Fratercula arctica
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2015, 08:35:20 PM »
I don't think going out of our way to find what species works best is a good idea, I was thinking just for when the species has been renamed or reclassified since the figures creation that its new name would be worth mentioning. Still best to label it by its product designation, but just mentioning that the animal has been renamed.

tanystropheus

• Jurassic survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 09:28:14 AM »
If the Bullyland pterandon is being labeled geosternbergia than the safari tapejara should be labeled as tupandactylus

And Papo Pteranodon should be labeled as Ludodactylus. As a Pteranodon model it is okay, but as a Ludodactylus it is excellent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludodactylus

"Ludus refers to the fact, long lamented by paleontologists, that many toy pterosaurs combined teeth with a Pteranodon-like head crest, while no such creature was known to exist however Ludodactylus shows exactly this combination of features..."
Well,anyways it lacks pycnofibers.

Yes, just like the WS Rhamphorhynchus.

reinier zwanink

• View Profile
  • Dinosaur: stegosaurus
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »
The original names is best
That way i can see better what models i need to add to my collection 8)

Arul

• Permian survivor
  • Have a nice day :)
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: A good dinosaur
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2015, 07:33:26 AM »
I wanna ask something what pterosaur who lived alongside tapejara ? Pteranodon ? Ludodactylus ?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:54:03 AM by ARUL »

stargatedalek

• Pliocene survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »
Tapejara and its close relatives (tupuxuara, tupandactylus, thalassodromeus) weren't built for catching fish or even living in coastal environments. Nor were the fast in flight, they were probably more comfortable on the ground. So its unlikely they would have met ocean adapted pterosaurs.

Arul

• Permian survivor
  • Have a nice day :)
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: A good dinosaur
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2015, 03:12:55 PM »
Ohh allright thanks  :)

Concavenator

• Permian survivor
  • Just a hump-backed carcharodontosaurid from Spain.
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Allosaurus
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2015, 03:19:12 PM »
I think members of the Tapejaridae ate mainly fruits.

suspsy

• Reviewer
  • Ultimate survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Tyrannosaurus rex
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2015, 06:45:02 PM »
Assuming the Tyco Quetzalcoatlus is only allowed one entry, it should be the second version. Much prettier than the first:

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

• Ultimate survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2015, 08:01:10 PM »
First Tapejara Wild Safari
Second Guidraco Collecta
Third: Tupuxuara Papo
Fourth: Rhamphorhynchus Wild Safari
Fifth: Dimorphodon Wild Safari
Incidentally missing pteranodon of Collecta deluxe, the Ornithocheirus Collecta, pteranodon pteranodon Bullylland Papo and I think that some of these figures, for example that of Collecta and Bullyland pteranodon pteranodon, are not all bad.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:02:31 PM by Shonisaurus »

Gwangi

• Reviewer
  • Pleistocene survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Liliensternus
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2015, 10:34:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure the OP abandoned this thread, which I'm not at all surprised about.

dinotoyforum

• Dr Admin
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate survivor
  • Boy, do I hate being right all the time!
    • View Profile
    • The Dinosaur Toy Blog
  • Dinosaur: Rhomaleosaurus
  • v.1 status and posts: Admin (3,739 posts)
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2015, 10:43:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure the OP abandoned this thread, which I'm not at all surprised about.

Maybe if you create a new topic called 'test' then I can merge this thread into that one. That might allow you the ability to create and manage a a poll without us having to start a brand new thread for it. Worth a try, if you wouldn't mind doing the honours, that is. No obligation!

Gwangi

• Reviewer
  • Pleistocene survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2015, 11:26:47 PM »

Maybe if you create a new topic called 'test' then I can merge this thread into that one. That might allow you the ability to create and manage a a poll without us having to start a brand new thread for it. Worth a try, if you wouldn't mind doing the honours, that is. No obligation!

A poll of this magnitude doesn't interest me much I'm afraid. Not only am I very ignorant regarding pterosaur toys but there are just too many out there to make lumping them in a single poll practical. But thanks all the same!  ^-^
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:27:21 PM by Gwangi »

stargatedalek

• Pliocene survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2015, 11:36:10 PM »
Perhaps separating pterosaurs into "short tailed" and "long tailed" would make the workload easier and make the poll easier to use?

triceratops83

• Cambrian survivor
  • Look out! He's gonna charge!
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Triceratops horridus
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2015, 03:51:25 AM »
There's probably enough Pteranodon toys (some labelled pterodactyl) to do a poll on their own.

Crackington

• View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Rhedosaurus
  • v.1 status and posts: v. 1 was on it a wee bit
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2015, 04:00:53 PM »
I'd like to make a case for the 1972 Inpro Pteranodon. Although a bit cheesy, its most definitely a toy. Does anyone know of an earlier mass-produced pterosaur model that clearly has fur? I can't think of any from the early 1970s or before that did, so worth a listing?

Dinoguy2

• Precambrian survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Carnegie Collectors Archive
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2015, 07:49:37 PM »
Not sure I can vote for any of these... the state of pterosaur figures is horrible. I can think of a couple off the top of my head that are even remotely accurate and natural-looking (the two standing azhdarchids, the Safari anhanguerid).

If somebody ever made an accurate and natural-looking Pteranodon I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but I don't think anybody ever has (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I'm baffled how the 1987 "Padian bird leg syndrome" is still hanging on and thriving in the toy industry... have these sculptors never read any pterosaur books since then? ;)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Collectors Archive - https://carnegiecollection.blogspot.com/

Gwangi

• Reviewer
  • Pleistocene survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2015, 07:57:49 PM »
I'm baffled how the 1987 "Padian bird leg syndrome" is still hanging on and thriving in the toy industry... have these sculptors never read any pterosaur books since then? ;)

Well lets be honest, there haven't been a lot of serious pterosaur books published. I can think of 3 older books off hand and then there are the two recently published books as well but they've only been out for a few years I believe.

Dinoguy2

• Precambrian survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Carnegie Collectors Archive
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2015, 08:27:27 PM »

Well lets be honest, there haven't been a lot of serious pterosaur books published. I can think of 3 older books off hand and then there are the two recently published books as well but they've only been out for a few years I believe.

That could be part of it, but this one is already 10 years old... http://www.amazon.com/The-Pterosaurs-From-Deep-Time/dp/013146308X
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Collectors Archive - https://carnegiecollection.blogspot.com/

Gwangi

• Reviewer
  • Pleistocene survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2015, 08:40:04 PM »

That could be part of it, but this one is already 10 years old... http://www.amazon.com/The-Pterosaurs-From-Deep-Time/dp/013146308X

Yeah, that's one of the older three I was talking about. It's no secret though that pterosaurs suffer a worse public image than even dinosaurs do.