News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 pterosaur toys [Failed]

Started by Concavenator, January 25, 2015, 01:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 27, 2015, 07:58:00 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on January 27, 2015, 07:50:30 AM
If the Bullyland pterandon is being labeled geosternbergia than the safari tapejara should be labeled as tupandactylus

And Papo Pteranodon should be labeled as Ludodactylus. As a Pteranodon model it is okay, but as a Ludodactylus it is excellent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludodactylus

"Ludus refers to the fact, long lamented by paleontologists, that many toy pterosaurs combined teeth with a Pteranodon-like head crest, while no such creature was known to exist — however Ludodactylus shows exactly this combination of features..."
Well,anyways it lacks pycnofibers.

stargatedalek

I don't think going out of our way to find what species works best is a good idea, I was thinking just for when the species has been renamed or reclassified since the figures creation that its new name would be worth mentioning. Still best to label it by its product designation, but just mentioning that the animal has been renamed.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Concavenator on January 27, 2015, 04:21:38 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on January 27, 2015, 07:58:00 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on January 27, 2015, 07:50:30 AM
If the Bullyland pterandon is being labeled geosternbergia than the safari tapejara should be labeled as tupandactylus

And Papo Pteranodon should be labeled as Ludodactylus. As a Pteranodon model it is okay, but as a Ludodactylus it is excellent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludodactylus

"Ludus refers to the fact, long lamented by paleontologists, that many toy pterosaurs combined teeth with a Pteranodon-like head crest, while no such creature was known to exist — however Ludodactylus shows exactly this combination of features..."
Well,anyways it lacks pycnofibers.

Yes, just like the WS Rhamphorhynchus.

reinier zwanink

The original names is best
That way i can see better what models i need to add to my collection 8)

Arul

I wanna ask something what pterosaur who lived alongside tapejara ? Pteranodon ? Ludodactylus ?

stargatedalek

Tapejara and its close relatives (tupuxuara, tupandactylus, thalassodromeus) weren't built for catching fish or even living in coastal environments. Nor were the fast in flight, they were probably more comfortable on the ground. So its unlikely they would have met ocean adapted pterosaurs.

Arul

Concavenator

I think members of the Tapejaridae ate mainly fruits.

suspsy

Assuming the Tyco Quetzalcoatlus is only allowed one entry, it should be the second version. Much prettier than the first:

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

First Tapejara Wild Safari
Second Guidraco Collecta
Third: Tupuxuara Papo
Fourth: Rhamphorhynchus Wild Safari
Fifth: Dimorphodon Wild Safari
Incidentally missing pteranodon of Collecta deluxe, the Ornithocheirus Collecta, pteranodon pteranodon Bullylland Papo and I think that some of these figures, for example that of Collecta and Bullyland pteranodon pteranodon, are not all bad.

Gwangi

I'm pretty sure the OP abandoned this thread, which I'm not at all surprised about.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on February 12, 2015, 10:34:27 PM
I'm pretty sure the OP abandoned this thread, which I'm not at all surprised about.

Maybe if you create a new topic called 'test' then I can merge this thread into that one. That might allow you the ability to create and manage a a poll without us having to start a brand new thread for it. Worth a try, if you wouldn't mind doing the honours, that is. No obligation!

Gwangi

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 12, 2015, 10:43:13 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on February 12, 2015, 10:34:27 PM

Maybe if you create a new topic called 'test' then I can merge this thread into that one. That might allow you the ability to create and manage a a poll without us having to start a brand new thread for it. Worth a try, if you wouldn't mind doing the honours, that is. No obligation!

A poll of this magnitude doesn't interest me much I'm afraid. Not only am I very ignorant regarding pterosaur toys but there are just too many out there to make lumping them in a single poll practical. But thanks all the same!  ^-^

stargatedalek

Perhaps separating pterosaurs into "short tailed" and "long tailed" would make the workload easier and make the poll easier to use?

triceratops83

There's probably enough Pteranodon toys (some labelled pterodactyl) to do a poll on their own.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Crackington

I'd like to make a case for the 1972 Inpro Pteranodon. Although a bit cheesy, its most definitely a toy. Does anyone know of an earlier mass-produced pterosaur model that clearly has fur? I can't think of any from the early 1970s or before that did, so worth a listing?

Dinoguy2

Not sure I can vote for any of these... the state of pterosaur figures is horrible. I can think of a couple off the top of my head that are even remotely accurate and natural-looking (the two standing azhdarchids, the Safari anhanguerid).

If somebody ever made an accurate and natural-looking Pteranodon I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but I don't think anybody ever has (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I'm baffled how the 1987 "Padian bird leg syndrome" is still hanging on and thriving in the toy industry... have these sculptors never read any pterosaur books since then? ;)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Gwangi

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on February 14, 2015, 07:49:37 PM
I'm baffled how the 1987 "Padian bird leg syndrome" is still hanging on and thriving in the toy industry... have these sculptors never read any pterosaur books since then? ;)

Well lets be honest, there haven't been a lot of serious pterosaur books published. I can think of 3 older books off hand and then there are the two recently published books as well but they've only been out for a few years I believe.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Gwangi on February 14, 2015, 07:57:49 PM

Well lets be honest, there haven't been a lot of serious pterosaur books published. I can think of 3 older books off hand and then there are the two recently published books as well but they've only been out for a few years I believe.

That could be part of it, but this one is already 10 years old... http://www.amazon.com/The-Pterosaurs-From-Deep-Time/dp/013146308X
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Gwangi

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on February 14, 2015, 08:27:27 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on February 14, 2015, 07:57:49 PM

That could be part of it, but this one is already 10 years old... http://www.amazon.com/The-Pterosaurs-From-Deep-Time/dp/013146308X

Yeah, that's one of the older three I was talking about. It's no secret though that pterosaurs suffer a worse public image than even dinosaurs do.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.