News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 figures polls - guidelines & poll ideas

Started by DinoToyForum, January 26, 2015, 09:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Okay, I just posted the extinct birds results and marked the thread as complete. So, I'm going to request a new poll topic as suggested by someone in the Youtube comments: Spinosaurus. We could broaden it out to Spinosaurus and relatives (Spinosauridae), so there should be plenty to choose from. Would anyone like to set up a thread to generate a shortlist?

BlueKrono

Dr. Admin: How has there not been a favorite plesiosaur toy poll yet? I've been wondering this since I joined the forum!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Nanuqsaurus

I think a top 10 worst dinosaur figures would be fun! :P But it would be kinda difficult to make a list to choose from, because it really depends on personal taste.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BlueKrono on November 15, 2016, 05:54:42 PM
Dr. Admin: How has there not been a favorite plesiosaur toy poll yet? I've been wondering this since I joined the forum!

All in good time :)

I'd rather kick start the topics that failed (with new threads and new polls) before exploring new groups.

Takama

Ok Guys, I started a Thread to gather ideas for a new poll on mass produced models of Triassic Dinosaurs.   

Another poll i decided i wish to run is the official Top ten Wild Safari Figurines list from its inception in 1994(i think) to whenever the 2017 models are fully released.    I can catalog the entire line up from that line. leading up to 2017s models. but i dont wish to start it until 2017s models are officially released.

DinoToyForum

I've just locked several polls and marked them as "failed". Remember, the point is to create a poll of all figures contending for the top 10 in a specific category. An exhaustive list of all figures under the sun in a category, including ones that are certainly not going to make the top 10, just complicates matters. What's the point of adding a figure to the list that nobody votes for? It makes it more difficult to vote, it will put people off, and it makes the process of collating the results more difficult. So, in the future, first we should have a round table discussion about which figures are in contention. For example, people can list their personal top 10 before the poll is even generated. If everyone does this, then we generate the poll with that shortlist.

Also, based on the small voter turnout in some polls, we can conclude that future categories should be simpler and less specific. The simpler a poll, the more votes it will receive, the more meaningful it will be. Any poll with less that, say, 50 votes, isn't worth making a video out of.

There is plenty of low-hanging fruit to consider before we get into, for example, top "non-Allosaurus 'carnosaurs'". Let's focus on the obvious groups first.  :)

BlueKrono

It will also make it a less daunting tasks for those running the polls. Halichoeres made a staggeringly large list for one of the recent polls, most of which didn't receive one vote.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Shonisaurus

A pretty good survey would be which are the best armed dinosaurs, with the corresponding companies of dinosaurs (ceratopsidos, tireoforos and margicefálos) with fifteen options of choice. I do not know if this survey has already been done and in this way, but it is a somewhat broad topic.  :)

DinoToyForum

Time to make that top 10 plesiosaur toys poll? I'm happy to do it. Shall we make it only long-necked ones ('Plesiosauromorphs')? (i.e. not pliosaurs, rhomaleosaurids, or polycotylids). Or shall we go all in for Plesiosauria?

Sim

I think a poll that is for all of Plesiosauria would be better.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on June 05, 2018, 09:51:05 PM
I think a poll that is for all of Plesiosauria would be better.

So, rhomaleosurids, pliosaurs & plesiosauroids, all lumped together? Thinking about it, I just wonder if it might be too much. Especially since we've had polls in the past as specific as "Non-t.rex tyrannosaurs".

Sim

It seems to me if only one poll was done for all of Plesiosauria, there would probably be more higher quality figures in the top 10 than in a poll that is only for some members of this group.  At the same time, it also seems to me a poll for only some members of the group would probably have a greater variety in the kind of figures in the top 10 except for with regards to species.  That's just how it seems to me though!

I think you should choose what you think is best.  You're the one who's doing the poll, and you're very experienced with plesiosaurs both real and in figure form.  So I think you're the right person to decide this. :)

DinoToyForum

Sim

I haven't made a poll before, but I'd be happy to do it for this one!  There are a few things I'm wondering about:

1. After considering different combinations, I think it would be best to make either one top 10 poll for Velociraptor and Deinonychus toys, and later another one for dromaeosaurids and troodontids excluding Velociraptor and Deinonychus, OR, just one poll for all dromaeosaurids and troodontids.  If two polls were made, I think it would be better for one to be for Velociraptor and Deinonychus rather than just Velociraptor, since the Jurassic Park franchise Velociraptor which are represented in figures are basically based on Deinonychus for anatomy and Velociraptor for the name.  What do people think about this?

2. In previous top 10 polls in this section of the forum, repaints haven't been listed separately.  I think it would be good to continue like this, but I'm wondering what should be done about the Beasts of the Mesozoic Saurornitholestes?  A few of the Beasts of the Mesozoic figures have two or three versions which differ only in colouration.  In the case of the Saurornitholestes though, the two versions of it differ in both colouration and head crest.
Version 1: https://www.everythingdinosaur.com/product/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-saurornitholestes-sullivani/
Version 2: https://www.everythingdinosaur.com/product/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-fans-choice-saurornitholestes-langstoni/
Besides the head crest and colouration, these two figures are the same.

Halichoeres

I personally think an all dromaeosaurids + all troodontids poll would be best, because whereas there are many figures of these groups, there are relatively few that I think are competitive for a top 10 spot. I wouldn't object to splitting out Velociraptor/Deinonychus, but I think if there were a second poll of other 'deinonychosaurs' it would consist almost entirely of BotM figures.

I would be inclined to include both Saurornitholestes figures in whichever poll it winds up in.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

I think you make a good point about there not being so many figures of these animals that would be competitive for a top 10 spot.  Although if the two polls were made, what I'd be concerned about is the quality of a lot of the figures in the Velociraptor/Deinonychus poll! :))  I'm planning to make a poll for all dromaeosaurids and troodontids.

So you're suggesting to list the two Saurornitholestes versions as two different choices in the poll?  The alternative is votes for either version would all be counted in one choice in the poll.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on July 20, 2018, 12:01:02 AM

I think you make a good point about there not being so many figures of these animals that would be competitive for a top 10 spot.  Although if the two polls were made, what I'd be concerned about is the quality of a lot of the figures in the Velociraptor/Deinonychus poll! :))  I'm planning to make a poll for all dromaeosaurids and troodontids.

So you're suggesting to list the two Saurornitholestes versions as two different choices in the poll?  The alternative is votes for either version would all be counted in one choice in the poll.

Yeah, I think the fact that they have a minimally different "sculpt" is enough to warrant inclusion of both Saurornitholestes figures. It's possible to tell them apart by touch or silhouette rather than merely by paint job. That's my opinion, anyway.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Thanks for your thoughts avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres. I'll list the two Saurornitholestes versions separately as you've suggested, I think their small sculpt difference makes their overall look different enough to justify it.  I'll make a thread with an initial shortlist soon!

PumperKrickel

deleted

DinoToyForum

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.