News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Life Size Stegouros

Started by Kayakasaurus, February 16, 2015, 08:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: reinier zwanink on July 22, 2015, 09:16:35 AM
Its overall look is good
But the seams on the eggs are a bit of setting for me

Ah yes, I plan to fill those with epoxy. I made it out of sculpey, and I was in a hurry to see it painted. Painting also brings out anything that needs to be filled.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

juancho142

Wow dude! Awesome sculpting!
How do you do the casts and what materials do you use? I'd like to try that on my carcharo when it's done, as well as other scuptures.

reinier zwanink

I know the feeling kayaka
But while your at it maybe you can add some tiny holes in it so the embrio can gasp for air ;)

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: reinier zwanink on July 22, 2015, 07:20:11 PM
I know the feeling kayaka
But while your at it maybe you can add some tiny holes in it so the embrio can gasp for air ;)

Good idea, I'll see what I can do  ;)

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: juancho142 on July 22, 2015, 06:05:04 PM
Wow dude! Awesome sculpting!
How do you do the casts and what materials do you use? I'd like to try that on my carcharo when it's done, as well as other scuptures.

Thank you! I really like your carcharo. For sculpting I use Magic Sculpt and/or Sculpey. For making the mold I use Smooth-on brand Silicone, which you can get from Amazon. Basically there are two kinds of silicone; Platinum cure, and Tin cure. Platinum cure is best for a long lasting strong mold, and you can get either "pour on" or "brush on", which is how it is applied, the pour on stuff is thinner.

Anyways, the mold is made in two halves. The nest molds are really easy, just pouring silicone over the nest in one part. I've only recently learned to make molds. Here is a link to the thread where I learned from Doug Watson. http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3126.40.

Kayakasaurus

Hello!
If you are curious, here is a pic of how the nests scale up as well as what the mold for the latest nest looks like. These all have coresponding parents, and will be available for purchase at a later date  ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

If you are offering these for sale, I would be interested in two of the sauropod "titanosaur" nests perhaps....let me know please. I am delighted to see someone take the science we do have and make something quite accurate appearing from what I can see...I like this, thanks for sharing it
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 25, 2015, 03:08:32 AM
If you are offering these for sale, I would be interested in two of the sauropod "titanosaur" nests perhaps....let me know please. I am delighted to see someone take the science we do have and make something quite accurate appearing from what I can see...I like this, thanks for sharing it

Hi Amargasaurus,

I'd be happy to send you some of the Titanosaur nests. Were you thinking painted or unpainted? I have a PayPal as well as a Chase bank account. Accuracy is my goal, so I'm glad you like them. As far as price, I'm very reasonable, and I want to create an affordable line. You can PM me if you have any questions.  :)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on July 25, 2015, 05:11:28 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 25, 2015, 03:08:32 AM

Hi Amargasaurus,

I'd be happy to send you some of the Titanosaur nests. Were you thinking painted or unpainted? I have a PayPal as well as a Chase bank account. Accuracy is my goal, so I'm glad you like them. As far as price, I'm very reasonable, and I want to create an affordable line. You can PM me if you have any questions.  :)
Two copies painted if you like, and I can get you paypal payment when needed.Your theropod nest would need some slight tweaking but is close at least.....the nest would be larger in diameter, and the eggs paired. I have posted pictures of such a nest before but could again for you if you would find them useful. I highly suggest Ken Carpenter's book on the topic....as it is aboout the most thorough treatment regarding dinosaur eggs, babies and their nests I have seen. Additionally I have directly corresponded with him and he is intelligent, articulate, polite and highly helpful in all manner of dinosaur materials and things. Just a great paleontologist to learn from. He is also the paleontologist who published on both Sauropelta and Gargoyleosaurus two very unique dinosaurs.    In any event, I like your titanosaur nest, and thanks for offering it.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

reinier zwanink

You can put me on the list for 2 titanosaur nests as well
And a shunasaur ;)

Kayakasaurus

Hey guys, both orders noted! I cast 3 more nests yesterday, and I will be painting them up! Any color request or just like the prototype? If you want I can make the eggs glossy.

Would you like your nests painted reinier? I'm going to have to get some more resin to do the Shuno. I also have to figure out what's wrong with the mold. The last time I tried casting, half the resin leaked out into a puddle  :P. I'm going to fill it with water so I can try and see what the problem is. You are the reason I made the Shuno mold, so I definitely want to get one to you. I'm going to try pouring silicone instead of the brush on stuff for my next mold. I think a block would be less flimsy and easier to control

Arul

Kayakasaurus

Here is a little something I did the last few days. I had to develop some new techniques. I still have some more bottles left over...

Oh, and if anyone could suggest a better quote to put on the first photo that would be great.

reinier zwanink

Ooh nice
A pterosaur in a timecapsule
How big is that?
Only a few cm at the look of it

Arul

triceratops83

Very cool idea. Who needs a SHIP in a bottle when you can have a pterosaur?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

dinostampede

That's really neat Kayak! I've never even seen anything like that

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: reinier zwanink on August 09, 2015, 07:57:29 AM
Ooh nice
A pterosaur in a timecapsule
How big is that?
Only a few cm at the look of it

Yep, it's 4 cm including the cork

Quote from: Arul on August 09, 2015, 08:19:38 AM
Very beautiful...i like that. How you made it ?  :D

I started by painting blue acrylics on the inside of the bottle. Then I made the rock out of sculpey, and added the epoxy pterosaur, After that was painted I dropped some epoxy into the bottle and stuck a tool through the bottle opening, to sculpt the waves in the bottle, around the edges the waves are sculpted up to the acrylic paint in the first step. Then I carefully put the rock/pterosaur part into the bottle, pressed it down, and pulled it back out, now there was an indent where the rock could fit in. Whence the epoxy waves cured, I painted them inside the bottle. Finally I superglued the rock/pterosaur in place, although I had to trim the bottom of the rock because it didn't fit at first.

Quote from: triceratops83 on August 09, 2015, 09:36:08 AM
Very cool idea. Who needs a SHIP in a bottle when you can have a pterosaur?

I know right?  :))

Quote from: dinostampede on August 09, 2015, 11:47:10 AM
That's really neat Kayak! I've never even seen anything like that
Quote from: Jetoar on August 09, 2015, 12:12:58 PM
Really nice work  ;).

Thank you, I'm glad you like it!

Does anyone know of a glue like super glue, that doesn't spread that fog effect? It can be scratched off, and it takes about a day to appear, you guys know what I'm talking about?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.