News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 Carnegie Collection toys [Completed]

Started by Gwangi, March 12, 2015, 11:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your choices for the top 10 Carnegie Models

Stegosaurus
1 (1.3%)
Tyrannosaurus
3 (3.8%)
Brachiosaurus
14 (17.9%)
Apatosaurus
5 (6.4%)
Apatosaurus baby
0 (0%)
Parasaurolophus
1 (1.3%)
Triceratops
1 (1.3%)
Allosaurus
4 (5.1%)
Australopithecus male
1 (1.3%)
Australopithecus female
1 (1.3%)
Diplodocus
13 (16.7%)
Maiasaura on eggs
4 (5.1%)
Euoplocephalus
1 (1.3%)
Dimetrodon
5 (6.4%)
Pteranodon
0 (0%)
Protoceratops
2 (2.6%)
Smilodon
2 (2.6%)
Deinonychus
3 (3.8%)
Pachycephalosaurus
0 (0%)
Elasmosaurus
1 (1.3%)
Mosasaurus
2 (2.6%)
Iguanodon
5 (6.4%)
Spinosaurus
1 (1.3%)
Corythosaurus
18 (23.1%)
Dilophosaurus pair
6 (7.7%)
Plateosaurus
4 (5.1%)
Deinosuchus
3 (3.8%)
Maiasaura and nest
7 (9%)
Carnotaurus (1997)
2 (2.6%)
Kronosaurus
7 (9%)
Saltasaurus
7 (9%)
Quetzalcoatlus
1 (1.3%)
Deltadromeus
5 (6.4%)
Baryonyx
1 (1.3%)
Psittacosaurus
6 (7.7%)
10th Anniversary Commemorative Tyrannosaurus
10 (12.8%)
Triceratops (2000)
3 (3.8%)
Tanystropheus
9 (11.5%)
Dimetrodon (2001)
9 (11.5%)
Acrocanthosaurus
3 (3.8%)
Styracosaurus
3 (3.8%)
Camarasaurus
18 (23.1%)
Woolly Mammoth
13 (16.7%)
Velociraptor
0 (0%)
Albertosaurus
5 (6.4%)
Sinraptor
6 (7.7%)
Oviraptor
2 (2.6%)
Ankylosaurus
14 (17.9%)
Beipiaosaurus
13 (16.7%)
Microraptor
14 (17.9%)
Caudipteryx
10 (12.8%)
Dilong
8 (10.3%)
Amargasaurus
23 (29.5%)
Oviraptor (update)
8 (10.3%)
Diplodocus (2008)
43 (55.1%)
Giganotosaurus
35 (44.9%)
Tylosaurus
37 (47.4%)
Spinosaurus (2009)
22 (28.2%)
Ichthyosaurus
28 (35.9%)
Cryolophosaurus
16 (20.5%)
Miragaia
38 (48.7%)
Carnotaurus (2011)
43 (55.1%)
Brachiosaurus (2012)
36 (46.2%)
Concavenator
7 (9%)
Tyrannosaurus 25th Anniversary
12 (15.4%)
Velociraptor (2015)
15 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Gwangi

I just realized I posted this in the wrong sub-forum. If a moderator could move it, I would appreciate that.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on March 15, 2015, 01:46:35 PM
I just realized I posted this in the wrong sub-forum. If a moderator could move it, I would appreciate that.

Done C:-)

sauroid

so hard to pick just 10, but i managed :(
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Arul

giganotosaurus, amargasaurus, tylosaurus  :D

Raptoress

It's a hard choice, but I'm going for the Giganotosaurus. I absolutely adore the colour scheme, mainly. I think it's just beautiful and although I dislike the tripod stance, at least it's feet aren't oversized. I don't actually own it yet, though. I plan to buy it when I go on my online Carnegie shopping spree. :) I have heard that some models don't need the tail touching the ground for it to balance.

tanystropheus

(1) Tylosaurus
(2) Brachiosaurus (new)
(3) Carnotaurus
(4) Spinosaurus
(5) Giganotosaurus

Edit: I forgot about the Icthyosaurus - it is a superb representation on par with the Tylosaurus. It also seems to pay homage to the Invictas.

Simon

Quote from: Raptoress on March 18, 2015, 12:32:24 PM
It's a hard choice, but I'm going for the Giganotosaurus. I absolutely adore the colour scheme, mainly. I think it's just beautiful and although I dislike the tripod stance, at least it's feet aren't oversized. I don't actually own it yet, though. I plan to buy it when I go on my online Carnegie shopping spree. :) I have heard that some models don't need the tail touching the ground for it to balance.

The problem with that Giganotosaurus extends to far more than just the pose -while the head sculpt is extremely well-done, the body is far too gracile for a top-of-the-food-chain 6-tonne predator.  Basically, everything other than the head on that sculpt is too thin and light.  Its the head of a Giganotosaurus married to a body of a critter like a Microraptor.

Back when I was still modeling I took the head and connected it to the body of the Bullyland Giganotosaurus to remedy this mis-match, as you can see on my website.

Arrancon

When I first heard that the Carnegie Collection had been ended, I was on the verge of tears. This series is why I still collect dinosaur figures to this day... I'll miss you, Carnegie.

I picked 10 figures, but the Giganotosaurus is and always will be my #1. That giant predator is my favorite dinosaur because of this figure, and I cannot imagine it looking any different than that back when it was still alive.

Dobber

Quote from: Simon on March 18, 2015, 08:09:10 PM
Quote from: Raptoress on March 18, 2015, 12:32:24 PM

The problem with that Giganotosaurus extends to far more than just the pose -while the head sculpt is extremely well-done, the body is far too gracile for a top-of-the-food-chain 6-tonne predator.  Basically, everything other than the head on that sculpt is too thin and light.  Its the head of a Giganotosaurus married to a body of a critter like a Microraptor.

Back when I was still modeling I took the head and connected it to the body of the Bullyland Giganotosaurus to remedy this mis-match, as you can see on my website.

Simon, I'd love to see your models but the site in your siginture has pop-ups galore! :o and whenever I tap a picture it sends me somewhere else.  :-\

From what I could see, your models looked great though.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Simon

Quote from: Dobber on March 18, 2015, 11:02:52 PM

Simon, I'd love to see your models but the site in your siginture has pop-ups galore! :o and whenever I tap a picture it sends me somewhere else.  :-\

From what I could see, your models looked great though.

Chris

Chris, there is a simple solution to all that.  Its called "Ad-Block Plus", and its FREE.  Install it on your computer and those annoying pop-ups on websites will become a distant memory. 

Here's the link:  https://adblockplus.org/

Gwangi

Bumping it so it won't get lost. I guess the top 10 craze is dead now?  :(

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on April 22, 2015, 07:16:21 PM

I just don't have time, what with work at the museum, arranging the diorama contest, naming new plesiosaurs and such! But I'll get around to creating new videos soon.  :)

Gwangi

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 22, 2015, 07:30:02 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on April 22, 2015, 07:16:21 PM

I just don't have time, what with work at the museum, arranging the diorama contest, naming new plesiosaurs and such! But I'll get around to creating new videos soon.  :)

That's alright, I understand completely. Like I said, I just didn't want it to get lost and forgotten.

Daspletodave

Quote from: Gwangi on March 13, 2015, 09:24:38 PM
Quote from: Daspletodave on March 13, 2015, 08:54:37 PM
All the best Carnegies are from 2002 onwards. Before that they were a joke.

Come on man, why do you have to bring that kind of hate into this thread? Just vote for who you like and move on. Or if you don't like them, at least say so with a bit of class. Now the thread will inevitably get derailed and tempers will flair in what was an otherwise amicable topic. All I'm going to say is this...context. You gotta take it all in context. Old Carnegies may not have aged very well but I dare you to travel back to 1988 and find something better than the Carnegie line...or Invicta for that matter. Maybe you never had the chance to be an 8 year old kid who held the 1:40 scale Carnegie Brachiosaurus in your hands for the first time. People are so spoiled these days...

For the record, I own every Carnegie from the Psittacosaurus onwards (except for Tanystropheus and the original Velociraptor) so I don't hate Carnegie. The poll clearly favors the more recent releases. The earlier ones were not very good. Just compare the Carnegies that were released in the same years as the Battats and you clearly see how inferior the Carnegies were.
But you are right about one thing - in 1988 there was only Carnegie and Invicta, and maybe AAA.
I hope this puts things in context for you. Some people are so sensitive these days...

Gwangi

Quote from: Daspletodave on April 22, 2015, 11:26:17 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on March 13, 2015, 09:24:38 PM
Quote from: Daspletodave on March 13, 2015, 08:54:37 PM
All the best Carnegies are from 2002 onwards. Before that they were a joke.

Come on man, why do you have to bring that kind of hate into this thread? Just vote for who you like and move on. Or if you don't like them, at least say so with a bit of class. Now the thread will inevitably get derailed and tempers will flair in what was an otherwise amicable topic. All I'm going to say is this...context. You gotta take it all in context. Old Carnegies may not have aged very well but I dare you to travel back to 1988 and find something better than the Carnegie line...or Invicta for that matter. Maybe you never had the chance to be an 8 year old kid who held the 1:40 scale Carnegie Brachiosaurus in your hands for the first time. People are so spoiled these days...

For the record, I own every Carnegie from the Psittacosaurus onwards (except for Tanystropheus and the original Velociraptor) so I don't hate Carnegie. The poll clearly favors the more recent releases. The earlier ones were not very good. Just compare the Carnegies that were released in the same years as the Battats and you clearly see how inferior the Carnegies were.
But you are right about one thing - in 1988 there was only Carnegie and Invicta, and maybe AAA.
I hope this puts things in context for you. Some people are so sensitive these days...

Jeeze man, this was over a month ago. In that time your opinion of early Carnegie models went from "were a joke" to "not very good". I can agree with the later, but not the former.

Halichoeres

Voted! I will say that most of my votes were for figures released in the last 10 or 12 years. They definitely improved over time, although the Protoceratops for example was charmingly grotesque.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

This will be the next top 10 poll I turn into a video. Any more voters?  :)

DinoToyForum

Arul

Yeayyy my favorite is in 4th place :D

Gwangi

My favorite took first place, and I forgot to vote for that one! Glad to see a video finally made of this list. Guess I'll start work on another.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.