News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

How often do you resort/redo your collection setup?

Started by Lynx, December 07, 2022, 03:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

I've only changed it once in maybe a year, thanks to me getting new shelves, but it's starting to feel rather old to look at. I'm considering changing it to make it fresher and would like to make a schedule of when to "redo" my collection (dusting off figures, fixing up paint scuffs, resorting the collection, etc).

And so, that brings me to the creation of this thread. For research purposes, how often do you "resort" your collection?
An oversized house cat.

Stegotyranno420

Like many things in my life, I try to be ordered and professional but always end up doing thongs spontaneously. Sometimes I just grow tired of the set up(once about 4 months with my old shelves). Sometimes im replacing furniture.
But with my new shelves I think it wont be happening for a long time. I already plan acquisitions months in advance,and that is another time I reorganize, only barely.

Pliosaurking

I'd say like once every three months I reorganize it.

bmathison1972

Mine are taxonomically arranged and they'll stay that way for the foreseeable future. I'll just have to consider what to as space slowly disappears. Right now everything is in tall IKEA Billy shelves. But I might get more, smaller set-ups for certain groups (for example, all sharks over here, or all passerine birds over there)

JohannesB

I'm always shifting and/or removing things. Sometimes I get bored with some figures and give them away.

ceratopsian

Far less often than I should I'm afraid. I'm planning a big winter onslaught on dusting inside my cabinets. My small study room displays do get altered and dusted more. They are open not enclosed and it's where new toy/plastic models go on arrival. It's also become a de facto PNSO display area.  So that means more rejigging as this area of my collection is growing actively.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Not as often as I'd like to. I don't have a set schedule, but I normally end up re-organizing my Carnegie Mountain and miscellaneous prehistoric shelf once a year. My Battat shelves get converted to Halloween and Christmas displays every year but otherwise stay the same except for new additions. On the other hand, I have a small shelf with a Bullyland stegosaurus and a few Safari plants on it that I never changed out and until recently looked like I hadn't dusted it in longer than I'd like to admit.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Concavenator

As soon as I think the display can be arranged in a way that I like better, if I have the time to get to it.

I have pretty much always arranged my display by companies but recently I switched to a taxonomy-based display.

Libraraptor

I cram new stuff into every nook and cranny. I put the more valuable figures into a cabinet behind glass, but I never had any system whatsoever so thereĀ“s actually nothing to redo or resort  :))

Lanthanotus

Lately I do not find a lot of time for the dinosaur hobby (as some may have noticed by my lack of posting) and only have a new addition every few months. I have an assortement of figures in a glass cabinet in our living room and this small collection gets a change of individual figures every now and then, hard to tell a time for it, there no schedule. It displays figures of several brands, age and rarity, but with the lowest shelf for marine life, followed by Triassic above, then Jurassic/Cretaceous and finally Cenozoic. New additions (prehistoric and recent) find a place on my desk until it is crammed, then I sort it out. Most of my stuff is stowed away in a big chest on my attic and once or twice a year I have a look at these. 

Halichoeres

Either when I move or once a year, whichever comes first (I've moved three times since I started collecting). I arrange my figures primarily by scale, and once a year I recalculate the divisions between scale categories for the most cohesive groupings.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

I last did it in 2020 and it was the first time I ever did a reshuffle
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Duna

I dust all that are in cabinets twice a year. It's quite a sight to do that in the cabinet of the small figures (only in Starlux are 100, add Marx, Nabiscos and the Spanish ones ...). I dust them with a very thick brush, then I put them on the bed. Then I clean the cabinet glass shelves and doors so they are shiny. I strongly recommend to put some towels or a blanket on the floor, because it's very easy to drop some of the hundred figures.
The few very large figures that are not in cabinets, I dust them every month with the same thick brush. But with the printed skeletons, that are large and fragile, I use an ostrich feather duster.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.