News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Rearing Sauropod toy

Started by grantharding, March 23, 2015, 11:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grantharding

When I visited the AMNH in 1997, I saw (but did not buy) a toy sauropod in the gift shop. The figure was quite small, and it was rearing up on its hind legs.

I'm guessing it was the Kaiyodo Dinoland Barosaurus, but is there anything else it could have been?

SBell

Quote from: grantharding on March 23, 2015, 11:13:09 PM
When I visited the AMNH in 1997, I saw (but did not buy) a toy sauropod in the gift shop. The figure was quite small, and it was rearing up on its hind legs.

I'm guessing it was the Kaiyodo Dinoland Barosaurus, but is there anything else it could have been?

Depending on what you mean by 'small', Safari made a rearing Apatosaurus in the WS Dinos line for a while.

DinoLord

If it was yellow it was the small Dinoland Barosaurus; the box on mine does have an AMNH logo on it. If it was brown then it was likely the WS Apatosaurus.

SBell

I guess I could have put a picture of both figures to check. Here's the Barosaurus:

RobinGoodfellow

...there are also two quite "small" rearing sauropods from Collecta:  Diplodocus and Plateosaurus

Saurian

Diplodocus collecta my favorite and it can stand on four legs! :)
Soory,my English is poor

amargasaurus cazaui

Robin isnt plateosaurus, considered a plateosaurid, or sauropodomorph rather than an actual sauropod?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 24, 2015, 12:35:28 PM
Robin isnt plateosaurus, considered a plateosaurid, or sauropodomorph rather than an actual sauropod?

Yes, you're right.   ;)

CityRaptor

And it was bipedal, so it is not rearing.  Besides that, the Collecta models did ot exist in 1997.
I know that some Chinasaurs fit the bill:
http://www.urzeitshop.de/diverse-hersteller/1147-Cetiosaurus-Dinosaurier-Spielzeug.html
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

grantharding

Quote from: DinoLord on March 23, 2015, 11:43:58 PM
If it was yellow it was the small Dinoland Barosaurus; the box on mine does have an AMNH logo on it. If it was brown then it was likely the WS Apatosaurus.

Thanks for your help, everybody. I think it must have been the Dinoland Barosaurus. I remember it as being yellow and VERY small, so it looks like there's nothing else it could be.

They seem to be hard to find nowadays; I wish I'd bought it. Does anyone know if the AMNH gift shop still sells them?

DinoLord, would you be willing to post a photo of the box?

Thanks again!

DinoLord

Unfortunately the AMNH doesn't sell them anymore (though it does have a pretty good selection of Carnegies and Safaris). They're available on eBay from time to time. I will get you a picture of the box tomorrow. In the meanwhile, here is a picture of the figure itself taken by forum member postsaurischian:

Edit: Here are some pictures of the box and packaging. I guess I misremembered seeing an AMNH logo, but the info card does mention the museum.

grantharding

Thanks so much DinoLord! I'm actually kind of glad the AMNH doesn't sell them anymore -- I was there in November and didn't make it to the dino boutique and was kicking myself for missing a chance to buy one of these.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.