News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Origin of CollectA/Procon

Started by MaastrichtianGuy, April 18, 2015, 08:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaastrichtianGuy

i know you guys collecta also called procon is considered to be one of the best and greatest toy companies in the world cause they make great dinosaur models but i have to know what year is collecta aka procon was founded and established?

tyrantqueen

Quotei know you guys collecta also called procon is considered to be one of the best and greatest toy companies in the world cause they make great dinosaur models but i have to know what year is collecta aka procon was founded and established?
It was 2007 that they entered the market, as ProCon. There was some kind of internal schism which led the British members of the team to go off and found Mojo. The Hong Kong directors who remained decided to rename themselves as CollectA and they have continued the line to this day.

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 18, 2015, 10:32:20 PM
Quotei know you guys collecta also called procon is considered to be one of the best and greatest toy companies in the world cause they make great dinosaur models but i have to know what year is collecta aka procon was founded and established?
It was 2007 that they entered the market, as ProCon. There was some kind of internal schism which led the British members of the team to go off and found Mojo. The Hong Kong directors who remained decided to rename themselves as CollectA and they have continued the line to this day.

Procon first made an appearance in around 2005 or so as the Natural Wonders line, with some sort of connection to the RSPCA. There were 6 figures (T.rex, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Velociraptor & Pteranodon). A Procon-named line came out in 2007 with about a dozen or so species. Anthony Beeson got involved aaround then, when they renamed the line CollectA and continue as such to this day.

When the Deluxe line was introduced, some of the Procon (the actual company name) higher-ups didn't want to do it; they wanted the line to stay lower priced and broad market. When Procon pushed forward, a few of them started up MojoFun. If I understood correct, there was some sort of joint ownership of some designs, hence a few models (like the Sarcosuchus and Tylosaurus) are very similar.

Everything_Dinosaur

Everything Dinosaur team members got involved around 2005, we were shown early production model concepts for what was termed series 1.  Pteranodon, the original red T. rex, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus and Velociraptor.  Sadly, we were asked to provide feedback just a little too late to make a huge difference to the first model series, although we did prevent a very unusual Brachiosaur replica from going into production.  We then got prototype pics of the second series, which included the likes of Eustreptospondylus and Neovenator.  The rest is history.

Roselaar

That unreleased Brachiosaurus sounds intriguing, what was so unusual about it? Was it plain bad in terms of accuracy or something?

Everything_Dinosaur

It was a real chimera, we were able to make some suggestions to at least give the model an appearance of a Brachiosaur.  We do have some old pictures of the original prototype in our database, we might just post it up on the Everything Dinosaur blog one of these days.

Takama

This is what there original braciosaurus looked like

Concavenator

Certainly terrible.However,CollectA is wonderful,they have improved that much that they look as though they are a different company.I'm hoping for another feathered tyrannosaur, for  next year could anyone affirm it?Of course,not species in specific. ^-^

CityRaptor

Well, looks like the part that became Mojö decided to move in the different direction.

As for the "Brachiosaurus", looks like they brewed up a new Dinosaur!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Takama

If it were not for the head. I say they could of called it a Different Sauropod like Diplodocus (Which they did not have at the time it was made)

Roselaar

Quote from: Takama on April 19, 2015, 09:40:27 PM

This is what there original braciosaurus looked like

Ouch! Good thing that wasn't released indeed! However, I wouldn't mind Collecta revisiting Brachiosaurus again. :)

DC

You can never have too many dinosaurs

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.