News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Airfix dinosaur kits

Started by Derek.McManus, April 27, 2015, 11:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek.McManus

Just wondering, does anyone remember the Airfix dinosaur kits from the 70s / 80s? My mother bought me the Triceratops along with green enamel paint which I did not even realise had to be stirred, with the result that my kit looked a bit washed out! I also recall the model department in Lesiureworld in Belfast having an assembled and painted Pteranodon on a base made to look like water...very nostalgic!

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Derek.McManus on April 27, 2015, 11:24:52 PM
Just wondering, does anyone remember the Airfix dinosaur kits from the 70s / 80s? My mother bought me the Triceratops along with green enamel paint which I did not even realise had to be stirred, with the result that my kit looked a bit washed out! I also recall the model department in Lesiureworld in Belfast having an assembled and painted Pteranodon on a base made to look like water...very nostalgic!
I still have the old models, myself, many of them I believe I own a protoceratops, anklosaurus, and perhaps and maybe a few others. We used a corythosaurus for a Turok diorama that you can view in the retro thread
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

CityRaptor

I rather recently obtained the 1993 re-issues of the Triceratops and Stegosaurus.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Justin_

Those little tins of really glossy Humbrol enamel paint! I still remember the slightly sweet smell of them, and white spirit that was starting to go yellow with a layer of painty sludge at the bottom.

My brother had the Tyranosaurus even though he wasn't much of a dinosaur fan. I don't think the completed model lasted very long, and I inherited just the head which made a good finger puppet.

I had an ankylosaurus kit but I'm pretty sure it was Revell, not Airfix. I also the fat-legged brontosaurus with really smooth skin that, according to recent research, was made by Pyro but I don't remember that company name. It might have been marketed in the UK by someone else.

CityRaptor

The Brontosaurus was likely a Lindberg re-issue.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Andrew T

The dimetrodon was the first model kit I ever had, I remember my dad building it with/for me when I was about 4 or 5! Must try and track one down on ebay some day. I had most of the Airfix kits at some point, apart from the corythosaurus. The pteranodon with the coelocanth was one of my favourites.

STORMnlNIJMEGEN

i had them all,,sell them last year
The Return Of The Mammoth's

AROARA

Airfix did make a Brontosaurus, which I had until last year.  http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/1982_Brontosaurus_about1391.html
Pyro made the smooth skinned Bronto.  IMO, the Airfix Bronto was the best! 
Airfix, to my knowledge, never made a Protoceratops kit.  Again, Pyro did. 
My two cents

Crackington

I had a few of the kits as a child when they came out - the Rex, Triceratops and the Ankylosaur, which was quite an ugly critter! They kind of complemented my Auroras and were similar size to the Pyros, but with better skin texture. I always wanted the Pteranodon, which I believe is the rarest of the kits now. They were re-issued in 2 sets of three about 10 years ago, but stupidly, I passed on buying them and even these are a bit pricey now when they come up on e-bay. Airfix was a classy company and there is competition from more than dino-fans for these models. The new Prehistoric Times has an article on them with some interesting customising!

I also had a Spitfire, which I understand is the biggest ever selling UK model kit, over a million sold!

Crackington

There is some interesting news on the Airfix kits. Hornby who are now producing them have just launched a crowd-sourcing project whereby Airfix fans can request that old kits are reproduced. If there is enough support, they will put them in to limited production. The details are here:

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/forum/kitstarter/?p=1

I've joined their forum and posted a dinosaur thread, so if anyone would like to see this please spend a few minutes to generate some support!

I also took the opportunity to plug our Forum and Prehistoric Times magazine!

bigbear

Aroara is quite correct. Airfix did/do six dinosaur kits - Triceratops, Stegosaurus, T. Rex, Dimetrodon, Brontosaurus and Pteranodon. All available on ebay for not too much cash.-

Pyro did 8 kits - Triceratops, Stegosaurus, T.Rex (a tail dragger...), Dimetrodon, Brontosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Protoceratops and Corythosaurus. The skin detail on the original kits was non-existant, being totally smooth with just a few lumps and bumps. These originals also came with a base, name board and cavemen figures(!). Later, they were re-issued by Lifelike, both boxed and in polythene bags with a header card. Lindberg have since re-issued all except the T Rex with increased skin detail and some were also released in Jurassic Park boxes too.

The Airfix kits are more detailed, but the Pyro kits hold a special place in my heart and were also the first commercially available dinosaur plastic kit, I believe!

Hope this is of interest.

bigbear

As a follow up to my previous post, I've just found that Lindberg HAVE re-issued the old Pyro T. Rex, alongside a newer, more Jurassic Park looking version! Probably best not to display them next to each other, though! :-)

AROARA

Quote from: bigbear on October 06, 2015, 12:00:47 AM
Aroara is quite correct. Airfix did/do six dinosaur kits - Triceratops, Stegosaurus, T. Rex, Dimetrodon, Brontosaurus and Pteranodon.
Don't forget, they also made a Ankylosaurus and Corythosaurus.  Don't know of their availability but that should make a total of 8

bigbear

Somehow I had overlooked these! Thanks for adding them to my list. The other 6 kits were re-issued in two 3-packs, but there's no sign of the other two in recent years. Might be an expensive buy?

japfeif

Quote from: bigbear on October 06, 2015, 12:00:47 AM
Aroara is quite correct. Airfix did/do six dinosaur kits - Triceratops, Stegosaurus, T. Rex, Dimetrodon, Brontosaurus and Pteranodon. All available on ebay for not too much cash.-

They did 8...also a Corythosaurus & an Ankylosaurus. I have all but the Bronto & Pteranodon in their original versions. Been having trouble finding those last two (but I understand they were the last to be made & had the most limited run...and therefore are the hardest to find).

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.