News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Giant Pliosaur Tooth?

Started by Yutyrannus, May 04, 2015, 02:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Does anyone know anything about this?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

spinosaurus1

yes, i've actually talked to the person who took the photo via deviant art. the guy handling it is adam smith. the tooth is 22.5 cm long and 5.1 cm in diameter. it is incomplete but not by much. it already has most of the root there. this individual is only about as large as kronosaurus

Yutyrannus

DinoToyForum

That's my photo and hand. The specimen is in the museum where I am curator. I shared it through the museum's social media. :)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 05, 2015, 12:42:51 AM
That's my photo and hand. The specimen is in the museum where I am curator. I shared it through the museum's social media. :)
Was anything else found of this animal or are only teeth known?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on May 04, 2015, 03:08:59 AM
yes, i've actually talked to the person who took the photo via deviant art.

Since I'm the one who took the photo, I wonder who's the imposter?  :P

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 05, 2015, 12:49:28 AM

It's an isolated tooth. Essentially complete.

spinosaurus1

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 05, 2015, 12:50:30 AM

he goes by Ovleg on deviantart. here are some quotes he stated when we conversed.

Quotethat's me who shared the picture and had the information about it

QuoteThe guy handling that tooth is Dr. Adam Smith. He compared the tooth with Pliosaurus kevani dentition and alveolis and concluded it was most likely similar in size.

This tooth is 22.5 cm long, and is 5.1 cm in diameter at the base of the crown.

QuoteThe comment saying it's one of the smaller teeth they obtained is actually unsubstantiated. There are others big teeth in the collection but they are just comparable.

There is a big tooth in the London Museum, possibly 40 cm long. Compare it with the 31 cm largest teeth in Kronosaurus...

Theoretically this suggests pliosaurs in the 14-16 m range

Yutyrannus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 05, 2015, 12:51:13 AM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 05, 2015, 12:49:28 AM

It's an isolated tooth. Essentially complete.
Okay, thanks!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I knew this was going to get interesting... lol

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 05, 2015, 03:42:41 AM

I knew this was going to get interesting... lol
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Ikessauro

Quotehe goes by Ovleg on deviantart. here are some quotes he stated when we conversed.

Quotethat's me who shared the picture and had the information about it
The person doesn't seem to be taking credit for taking the picture, just by sharing it and passing the information about it.

QuoteThe guy handling that tooth is Dr. Adam Smith. He compared the tooth with Pliosaurus kevani dentition and alveolis and concluded it was most likely similar in size.

This tooth is 22.5 cm long, and is 5.1 cm in diameter at the base of the crown.
The person actually referred to Mr. Smith.

I guess you misunderstood what the person on Deviant Art meant by sharing.

DinoToyForum

Sounds like it was just a misunderstanding, that's fine :)

The specimen always impresses visitors on my store tours ;) I might write a paper about it, or at least a blog. It is big, but not out of the ordinary.

spinosaurus1

that really sheds alot of light. it seems that i misunderstand what he meant by sharing. then again, last time i talked to him about this was about a month ago or more. just seeing this tooth in this thread just brought up the memory of me talking to him about the pliosaurs possible size.

Komodo

I think the largest or at least longest pliosaur tooth on record is at the London NHM, referred as Liopleurodon (Pliosaurus) ferox.

Accurately measuring an object with a scalebar on an image is always very tentative but it looks like it is approx. 35 cm long in straight line, 42 cm long on the outer curve, around 13 cm of crown length and 4-5 cm of crown width at the base.

Wouldn't too much speculate about the size of the predator possessing that tooth, I'm not sure if scaling from tooth size is testable in pliosaurs. But the largest Kronosaurus queenslandicus specimens have their largest teeth at 30-32 cm root included with 10-11 cm long, 5 cm wide crowns.

So maybe we're looking at an English Liopleurodon-like pliosaur slightly larger or comparable to the Australian Kronosaurus (up to 11 m, 10 metric tonnes according to McHenry 2009).

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.