News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

And some books relevant to this forum:

I think most of the titles are legible, but to the left of The Cambrian Explosion is Lance Grande's monograph on the paleontology of the Green River Formation, and to the left of Dixon's breezy encyclopedia is a Grande & Bemis review on fossil and extant paddlefishes.

Moving to the right from Cenozoic Mammals of Africa, that's Long et al., Prehistoric Mammals of Australia and New Guinea, the Carvalho et al. monograph on Green River stingrays, and a Giarla et al. revision of Thylamys, a genus of mouse opossums. I did some sequencing work for the latter study when I was in college.

A few other great books. Without Darwin or someone like him, paleontology would make a lot less sense.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

[dead image]
"Kitadaniryu" × 2. I don't usually collect nomina nuda, but I stumbled across these for a song and decided to keep them. They're pretty good stand-ins for most dromaeosaurs, and have reasonably complete wings, unlike the Kaiyodo Deinonychus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Halichoeres

Some Yowie fishes:

Arandaspis, Rolfosteus, Mcnamaraspis (or in Yowie speak, Arandaspis, Gogo tube-nosed fish, and Macnamaraspis [sic]).

Strepsodus and Umoonasaurus (according to Cadbury, Ducabrook rhizodont and Eric the pliosaur).

Halichoeres

The Triassic in ~1:40 scale. There isn't much available, to be honest!

"Kaiyodo Tanystropheus Dinotales"
Kaiyodo Tanystropheus (Dinotales 2)
Scale: 1:45
Sculptor: Ataru Sugaya
Released: 2001
Middle Triassic

"Schleich Desmatosuchus"
Schleich Desmatosuchus (Replicasaurus)
Scale: 1:35
Released: 2004
Late Triassic
Still the best version of this animal out there, to my mind.

"Safari Ltd Plateosaurus Carnegie Collection"
Safari Ltd Plateosaurus (Carnegie Collection)
Scale: 1:40, give or take
Released: 1995
Late Triassic

"Safari Ltd Postosuchus Prehistoric Crocs Toob"
Safari Postosuchus (Prehistoric Crocs Toob)
Scale: 1:50
Released: 2011
Upper Triassic
The other Safari Postosuchus (at a larger scale) is nicer of course, but this one is remarkably good for its size.

[dead image]
When it comes to Herrerasaurus figures, beggars can't be choosers. This CollectA effort is closer to 1:30

"Kaiyodo Lystrosaurus Dinotales"
Kaiyodo Lystrosaurus (Dinotales 3)
Scale: 1:40
Sculptor: Seiji Yamamoto
Released: 2002
Upper Permian - Lower Triassic

Halichoeres

A few more aquatic things. Most of these are reasonably close to 1:40 scale.

Schleich Shonisaurus (Replica-saurus)
Scale: 1:40 - 1:45
Released: 2005
Upper Triassic
Has a very pleasant heft, but also a dorsal fin which the real animal probably didn't have. And the face! Looks a little like a Muppet version of a bird. I like this figure quite a bit regardless.

[dead image]
Kaiyodo Plesiosaurus and skeleton. Beautifully detailed at 1:35-1:40.

"Safari Ltd Orthacanthus Prehistoric Sharks Toob"
Safari Orthacanthus (Prehistoric Sharks Toob)
Scale: 1:30
Carboniferous-Permian
From the side, looks pretty good!

"Safari Ltd Orthacanthus belly ventral view fins"
But in ventral view you can see that there are FOUR sets of paired fins! (There should only be two, the ventral fins toward the back should be single and on the midline.) Other than that, a reasonable facsimile of an Orthacanthus. ~1:30

[img "alt=Safari Ltd Helicoprion Prehistoric Sharks Toob"]https://live.staticflickr.com/1547/24795632665_b7998c07f5_c.jpg[/img]
Safari Helicoprion (Prehistoric Sharks Toob)
Scale: 1:30 - 1:35
Upper Carboniferous - Lower Permian
As Sean has pointed out, probably a holocephalan, but I am more than willing to allow Safari some systematic leeway if they're going to make cool animals like this.

"Safari Ltd Nothosaurus Prehistoric Sea Life Toob"
Safari Nothosaurus (Prehistoric Sealife Toob)
Scale: 1:35
Released: 2010
Upper Triassic
One of my favorite Toob figures.

"Kaiyodo Metriorhynchus Dinotales"
Kaiyodo Metriorhynchus (Dinotales 6)
Scale: 1:30 - 1:35
Sculptor: Eiichiro Matsumoto
Released: 2006
Upper Jurassic
A gem.

"Safari Ltd Dunkleosteus"
Safari Dunkleosteus
1:25-1:40
Released: 2007
Upper Devonian
I think this is meant to represent D. terrelli; if so, the scale is about right. Great figure; I love the bronze finish.

"Safari Ltd Dakosaurus Prehistoric Crocs Toob"
Safari Dakosaurus (Prehistoric Crocs Toob)
Upper Jurassic - Lower Cretaceous
This is an animal that deserves a full-sized figure from CollectA or Safari.

"Safari Ltd Elasmosaurus"
Safari Elasmosaurus
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Released: 2013
Campanian
Slightly unfortunate paint app on the head, but probably the most biologically reasonable posture out of any Elasmosaurus figure.

[dead image]
Yowie Umoonasaurus ("Eric the pliosaur"). Looking at this photo, I might have assembled him with his forelegs upside-down. Oops.

SBell

To be fair, I'm not sure how certain the science was on the Schleich Shonisaurus at the time; but given their track record, they probably wouldn't have cared anyway. One thing si for sure, that is not a kid's toy--it's more like a PVC club!

I do know that when the Sfari sharks were made, the various whorl tooths like Helicoprion and Sarcoprion were assumed to be sharks, so that one can be excused from that angle; to be fair, I don't think the Prehistoric Elasmobranchs toob would have the same market appeal.

And I remember thinking something was off with the Orthacanthus. From what I can guess, I think the sculptor of this one (and the Xenacanthus, if I'm not mistaken) mistook the weird anal fin structure for paired fins.

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on May 18, 2015, 03:26:07 PM
To be fair, I'm not sure how certain the science was on the Schleich Shonisaurus at the time; but given their track record, they probably wouldn't have cared anyway. One thing si for sure, that is not a kid's toy--it's more like a PVC club!

I do know that when the Sfari sharks were made, the various whorl tooths like Helicoprion and Sarcoprion were assumed to be sharks, so that one can be excused from that angle; to be fair, I don't think the Prehistoric Elasmobranchs toob would have the same market appeal.

And I remember thinking something was off with the Orthacanthus. From what I can guess, I think the sculptor of this one (and the Xenacanthus, if I'm not mistaken) mistook the weird anal fin structure for paired fins.

It does work quite well as a club! And yeah, the dorsal is totally forgivable.

If I were safari, and I were making a toob of "prehistoric sharks," I would definitely be willing to include known holocephalans. I might even sneak in an acanthodian. Definitely not meant as a criticism of their choices--having any ancient chondrichthyans at all is pretty sweet.

HOWEVER, the fins--the Xenacanthus is guilty of this, too, you're right. It's true that looking at a skeletal diagram doesn't necessarily tell you what's in pairs and what's single, but maybe ask any paleontologist or zoologist, who can tell you that vertebrates never have more than two pairs of limblike elements. But midline fins get multiplied all over the place (see acanthodians, bichirs, cod, and that's just the first three letters of the alphabet...).

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 18, 2015, 06:06:18 PM
Quote from: SBell on May 18, 2015, 03:26:07 PM

If I were safari, and I were making a toob of "prehistoric sharks," I would definitely be willing to include known holocephalans. I might even sneak in an acanthodian. Definitely not meant as a criticism of their choices--having any ancient chondrichthyans at all is pretty sweet.

HOWEVER, the fins--the Xenacanthus is guilty of this, too, you're right. It's true that looking at a skeletal diagram doesn't necessarily tell you what's in pairs and what's single, but maybe ask any paleontologist or zoologist, who can tell you that vertebrates never have more than two pairs of limblike elements. But midline fins get multiplied all over the place (see acanthodians, bichirs, cod, and that's just the first three letters of the alphabet...).

And yet I tried to get a petalodont or iniopterygian in there, with no luck.

Also, if there were more than 3 bichir models out there, I would be more concerned about their accuracy! But so far, no luck. OTH, if you know of others I will need them )other than the crazy expensive Japanese designer models).

Or acanthodians for that matter--I only have a couple, all with single rows of ventral spines. Although I thought that those spines should be paired?

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on May 18, 2015, 06:37:20 PM

Also, if there were more than 3 bichir models out there, I would be more concerned about their accuracy! But so far, no luck. OTH, if you know of others I will need them )other than the crazy expensive Japanese designer models).

Or acanthodians for that matter--I only have a couple, all with single rows of ventral spines. Although I thought that those spines should be paired?

I don't know any bichirs other than the Colorata, which I don't have yet. I have a really nice drawing that one of my friends did for me, though.

I think that acanthodians varied (as one expects from a grade rather than a clade), but prepelvic spines were paired, yes. And they had scaly finlets, but there weren't any limb elements associated with them. I suppose at the scale of a toob figure limblike fins and non-limblike fins look pretty similar.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 18, 2015, 07:32:33 PM
Quote from: SBell on May 18, 2015, 06:37:20 PM

I don't know any bichirs other than the Colorata, which I don't have yet. I have a really nice drawing that one of my friends did for me, though.

I think that acanthodians varied (as one expects from a grade rather than a clade), but prepelvic spines were paired, yes. And they had scaly finlets, but there weren't any limb elements associated with them. I suppose at the scale of a toob figure limblike fins and non-limblike fins look pretty similar.

There are also a normal and albino endlicheri in the Kaiyodo pets series 5. And...that's it. For now...!

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on May 18, 2015, 09:56:35 PM
There are also a normal and albino endlicheri in the Kaiyodo pets series 5. And...that's it. For now...!

Ooh, good to know! Thanks!

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 18, 2015, 11:00:51 PM

I found my photos:

And to be complete (sadly):

These are my favorite fish of all time. It will be nice to see at least one different species--I think P. endlicheri is especially popular in Japan, so it's the one that gets made.

Halichoeres

Halichoeres

Just in from Everything Dinosaur:
"Toyway Megalosaurus Natural History Museum"
Toyway Megalosaurus. Has its flaws, but is a step up from the CollectA version. And I couldn't be without a Megalosaurus.

And from eBay:
[dead image]
Invicta Cetiosaurus. Also a CollectA replacement.

"Yowie Siderops Lost Kingdoms"
Yowie Siderops. Who else would make a Jurassic temnospondyl?

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 19, 2015, 02:03:18 PM
Quote from: SBell on May 19, 2015, 01:41:13 AM

I found my photos:

Those look pretty good! Thanks for sharing the photos!

No problem. But you shouldn't have cropped them--twice the bichir goodness!

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 19, 2015, 02:09:18 PM

Yowie Siderops. Who else would make a Jurassic temnospondyl?

Bullyland got close with their Mastodonsaurus (I suppose Starlux is in there too, but it's not as good).

joossa

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on May 20, 2015, 12:29:24 AM
No problem. But you shouldn't have cropped them--twice the bichir goodness!

Mea culpa ;)

Quote from: SBell on May 20, 2015, 12:29:24 AM
Bullyland got close with their Mastodonsaurus (I suppose Starlux is in there too, but it's not as good).

Maybe I'll photograph that one next!

Quote from: joossa on May 20, 2015, 04:49:58 AM
That Shonisaurus is a cutie-pie. :)

Just wanna squeeze its little cheeks, right?

Arul

I found my photos:

These are my favorite fish of all time. It will be nice to see at least one different species--I think P. endlicheri is especially popular in Japan, so it's the one that gets made.

Wow nice model i have that fish few years ago in indonesia its called ikan naga or dragon fish.

SBell

Quote from: ARUL on May 20, 2015, 01:03:27 PM

I found my photos:

Wow nice model i have that fish few years ago in indonesia its called ikan naga or dragon fish.

That's a good name for them. I have kept several different species (including the pictured one) over the course of many years. Easily my favorite fish. And they live for such a long time...

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on May 20, 2015, 01:50:48 PM

That's a good name for them. I have kept several different species (including the pictured one) over the course of many years. Easily my favorite fish. And they live for such a long time...

That is a good name for them! I have a soft spot for them also--I was going to do my dissertation on them, but then all the countries I would have gone for field work had revolutions or civil wars. Probably the most trivial effect of those events, but it definitely changed my career trajectory.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.