News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

More from the Triassic! There's more available at larger scales like this, but it's still a little spotty.

"Yowie Deltasaurus Lost Kingdoms")
Yowie Deltasaurus. Another temnodpondyl! About 1:10-1:15.

"Yowie Tasmaniosaurus Lost Kingdoms"
Yowie Tasmaniosaurus. About 1:10-1:15. Looks armore like a goanna than a proterosuchid, but hey, it's a capsule figure. When have those been any good? Oh wait...

"Kaiyodo Coelophysis Dinotales"
Kaiyodo Coelophysis to answer my own question. About 1:30

[dead image]
CollectA Liliensternus, ~1:30. On the lookout for the Bullyland rendition.

"Safari Ltd Euparkeria Prehistoric Crocs Toob"
Safari Euparkeria (crocs toob), ~1:6.

"Bullyland Arizonasaurus"
Bullyland Arizonasaurus, 1:20.

"Safari Ltd Postosuchus"
Safari Postosuchus, probably the best stem crocodile at this price point. ~1:20-1:25

"Safari Ltd Tanystropheus Carnegie Collection"
Carnegie Tanystropheus. 1:20

"Bullyland Mastodonsaurus"
Bullyland Mastodonsaurus. A bruiser at 1:20.

"Safari Ltd Proterosuchus Chasmatosaurus Prehistoric Crocs Toob"
Safari Proterosuchus (Chasmatosaurus) from the crocs toob. ~1:20-1:25. When I was a kid, Pluto was a planet and Chasmatosaurus was a valid genus.

"Play Visions Triadobatrachus Prehistoric Amphibians"
Play Visions Triadobatrachus. About 1:2-1:3. One of just a few PV figures I own (and now you know I've been trading with Roselaar).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 20, 2015, 02:49:58 PM
Quote from: SBell on May 20, 2015, 01:50:48 PM

That's a good name for them. I have kept several different species (including the pictured one) over the course of many years. Easily my favorite fish. And they live for such a long time...

That is a good name for them! I have a soft spot for them also--I was going to do my dissertation on them, but then all the countries I would have gone for field work had revolutions or civil wars. Probably the most trivial effect of those events, but it definitely changed my career trajectory.

If I had known anyone in that field, I would have totally found a way to work with them--but that was before the internet. Or digital anything. Which made it much harder to find people or resources if you weren't already part of the system. Does make one wonder how the events in the area have affected the populations of these and other fish (everyone's so worried about the big mammals--what about the rivers and lakes?).

I ended up 'settling' for working in the aquarium industry for a long time (on top of so much else), and got to keep and maintain a lot of different species (never had the resources for breeding). It can be amusing how many long-established species (of many fishes) in the aquarium trade are still described as 'new' years or decades later.

Chad

http://tfpaleo.exblog.jp/

Have you come across the above site? If not, it might be something you'll like. From what I can gather from google translate these are models from some kind of palaeo fish competition.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Chad on May 20, 2015, 08:37:28 PM

Have you come across the above site? If not, it might be something you'll like. From what I can gather from google translate these are models from some kind of palaeo fish competition.

HANG ON LET ME JUST PUT A BUCKET UNDER MY HEAD TO CATCH THE DROOL.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

SBell

Quote from: Chad on May 20, 2015, 08:37:28 PM

It was cruel to show us things like that, that we can't have... :o

Halichoeres

The rest of the Paleozoic!

Some Devonian fish-apods. Dino Horizons Ichthyostega (someone bit off some of its toes, it seems), Kaiyodo Acanthostega.
in

Some Permian things. Clockwise from bottom left: Kaiyodo Trochosaurus, Bullyland Procynosuchus, Play Visions Peltobatrachus, Kaiyodo Diplocaulus.

More Permian.

"Papo Dimetrodon"
Papo Dimetrodon

[dead image]
Kaiyodo Eryops

"Cog Ltd Dicynodon Dino Horizons Prehistoric Panorama Tedco"
Cog Ltd Dicynodon. Not as nice a paint job as the Kaiyodo Lystrosaurus, but honestly I think it's better proportioned.

"Safari Ltd Inostrancevia"
Safari Inostrancevia. There should be more gorgonopsid toys in the world. The JP Lycaenops occasionally tempts me, but I can't ever bring myself to spend money on it.

"Safari Ltd Scutosaurus"
Safari Scutosaurus. I take the fact that it was discontinued so soon after its release as an indication that kids don't buy pareiasaurs, which is unfortunate.

Dimetrodon x3. I'll probably end up trading the old Carnegie 1:40 rendition.

Halichoeres

Some Late Cretaceous hadrosaurs:

"Bullyland Lambeosaurus"
Bullyland Lambeosaurus. I heretically believe this one to be better than the Invicta, but maybe that's just sour grapes because the Invicta is so hard to come by.

[dead image]
Carnegie Maiasaura Mark II. Being one of the less visually interesting hadrosaurs, this one probably owes its longevity on the market to the little nest. (The previous iteration really looked like it was taking a dump, though.)

"Safari Ltd Corythosaurus Carnegie Collection"
Carnegie Corythosaurus. I love this figure.

"Safari Ltd Edmontosaurus"
Safari Edmontosaurus. Another winner. Could be a little bigger, but it looks great.

[dead image]
Favorite Parasaurolophus. Also lamentably a little on the small side, but what a sculpt.

[dead image]
CollectA Tsintaosaurus. I can't wait for someone else to make a Tsintaosaurus so I can stop feeling sexually harassed every time I look at my Late Cretaceous shelf.

joossa

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 25, 2015, 03:34:55 PM
Some Late Cretaceous hadrosaurs:

LOVE this shot! I wish we had more higher quality/detailed hadrosaurs out there.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: joossa on May 25, 2015, 07:26:26 PM

LOVE this shot! I wish we had more higher quality/detailed hadrosaurs out there.

Couldn't agree more! I still need to pick up the WS Gryposaurus and Hypacrosaurus and the CollectA Olorotitan. And of course I'm forever on the hunt for the Favorite Saurolophus. What I'd really love to see is a huge Shantungosaurus.

Halichoeres

Today, some non-dinosaurian archosaurs of the Late Cretaceous:

"Favorite Pteranodon Soft Model Series 2 Geosternbergia"
Favorite Pteranodon. I wish all flying pterosaurs came with little stands like this. I'm considering drilling holes in all the other ones I own and making custom stands.

[dead image]
Like this one (CollectA Pteranodon). I'm having a hard time finding a Pteranodon ingens longiceps figure that I like. I had the CollectA Deluxe and the Papo "Ludodactylus," but they both look worse in person. I didn't notice the Papo's teeth until I got it home.

"CollectA Hatzegopteryx"
CollectA Hatzegopteryx. This stance is great for azhdarchid figures. They tower over everyone and they take up less room than wings-extended versions.

[dead image]
CollectA Quetzalcoatlus. It'd be nice if the CollectA Alamosaurus were to scale with this piece. Maybe CollectA will eventually make a deluxe rendition (not holding my breath, though).

"Safari Ltd Deinosuchus Carnegie Collection"
Carnegie Deinosuchus. Not enough prehistoric crocs on the market. My kingdom for a Stomatosuchus!

Like the rest of my collection, nothing especially rare or sought-after here, but I'm enjoying this exercise in cataloguing (I'm a taxonomist at heart).

Halichoeres

Some Late Cretaceous thyreophorans (by which time only the ankylosaurs persisted, of course).

Four companies, four styles.

[dead image]
Schleich Replica-saurus Saichania. Delightfully huge, probably larger than the nominal 1:40 of the Replica-saurus line, but I haven't measured it.

[dead image]
Papo Ankylosaurus, which in my collection stands in for Euoplocephalus, at least until the Battat re-release. I like the pose and the detailing enough to overlook the proportion problems.

[dead image]
CollectA Edmontonia. Not too bad, but probably also due for replacement when the Battat version is available again.

"Favorite Co Ltd Ankylosaurus Soft Model Series 2"
Favorite Ankylosaurus. I only wish it were bigger, but this is possibly the most exquisite sculpt of Ankylosaurus ever produced by a toy company in this price range.

Arul

my collecta quetz with prey beak cant sticking very well with baby alamo. Looks like the beak is bending...in baby alamo stomach there is a hole and in the quetz tounge there is an extra plastic which is attach to the hole on baby alamo. But in weeks the extra plastic on quetz tongue separated from the hole on baby alamo. What make the baby alamo still sticking on quetz jaw is because baby alamo become one with the upper jaw of the quetz.

Halichoeres

Quote from: ARUL on May 27, 2015, 03:27:29 PM
my collecta quetz with prey beak cant sticking very well with baby alamo. Looks like the beak is bending...in baby alamo stomach there is a hole and in the quetz tounge there is an extra plastic which is attach to the hole on baby alamo. But in weeks the extra plastic on quetz tongue separated from the hole on baby alamo. What make the baby alamo still sticking on quetz jaw is because baby alamo become one with the upper jaw of the quetz.

So there's a peg-and-socket arrangement? That's good to know, I had wondered in passing how they managed to get that in there. That's frustrating that yours popped out; I haven't had any problems yet. Could you bend yours back into place with some heat and a little glue?

Arul

Yes, i hope your quetz fine. i add some blood effect and intestine on that part to cover the minus. I wish i could give you the pict but the figure is sold to my friend few months ago. I have the pict that time on my ipad but its deleted automatically now...

Libraraptor

I love your collection! So many different pieces from so many different ages. I read your complaint about the small number of Triassic figures, but did not see the Bullyland Protochirotherium on your pictures. Get yourself one, you´ll like it!

http://dinotoyblog.com/2014/02/08/protochirotherium-bullyland-exclusive-for-the-regionalmuseum-wolfhagen-germany/

Halichoeres

Quote from: Libraraptor on May 27, 2015, 09:16:03 PM
I love your collection! So many different pieces from so many different ages. I read your complaint about the small number of Triassic figures, but did not see the Bullyland Protochirotherium on your pictures. Get yourself one, you´ll like it!

http://dinotoyblog.com/2014/02/08/protochirotherium-bullyland-exclusive-for-the-regionalmuseum-wolfhagen-germany/

Thanks very much! I've thought about the Protochirotherium, but for some reason part of me balks at buying an ichnotaxon! I may pick it up, though. I recently bought (but have not yet received) the Bullyland Liliensternus, as well as the Dawn of the Dinosaurs "Frenguellisaurus." On the lookout for the other Dawn of the Dinosaurs figures and the Bullyland Batrachotomus and Paratypothorax. Otherwise all that's left are the ever-elusive PlayVisions amphibians (I'm missing 5).

(PS--nice review!)

Halichoeres

Late Cretaceous marginocephalians!

"Papo Triceratops"
Papo Triceratops. Not without its charms. About 1:35.

[dead image]
Papo Pachyrhinosaurus. Really a nice sculpt, artistic license and all. About 1:40.

"Papo Styracosaurus"
Papo Styracosaurus. The head is modeled after a Sideshow model, right? I think it looks fantastic. These three Papo ceratopsians were the first things I bought when I decided to start collecting. About 1:35.

"Papo Styracosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus same sculpt"
The Styracosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus, ventral view. I'm sure someone has pointed this out elsewhere, but the stance and many elements of the sculpt are identical for these two. It seems as though the texturing was changed along the spine, and the heads and tails were swapped out, but otherwise dead ringers down to the wrinkles on the belly.

[dead image]
CollectA Torosaurus. Not bad. Missed out on the group shot because he's on the overflow shelf and I forgot about it (the late Cretaceous ~1:40 shelf is completely full). About 1:50-1:55.

"CollectA Achelousaurus"
CollectA Achelousaurus. About 1:35-1:40.

"CollectA Kosmoceratops"
CollectA Kosmoceratops. From 2012, when it seems CollectA was starting to get good at ceratopsians. About 1:35.

"Safari Ltd Diabloceratops"
Safari Diabloceratops. Recently replaced the always-surprised CollectA version in my collection. About 1:30-1:35.

"CollectA Pachycephalosaurus"
CollectA Pachycephalosaurus. This is an excellent piece, one of my favorites from CollectA. Probably the only instance in which a CollectA replaced a Papo in my collection (I bought the Papo Pachycephalosaurus along with the foregoing ceratopsians, but this one is just better). About 1:40.

Arul

Papo styraco is still the most favorite for me  :) nice collection !

joossa

Very nice!
Love the Papo Styracosaurus myself too, but prefer the WS Pachyrhinosaurus over the Papo model. Nice comparison shot too.

Haha, yeah, the CollectA Diabloceratops always looks spooked! Kind of funny. I've always thought the CollectA Torosaurus looked "off" somehow... maybe the proportions? Maybe because it's on the small side? Not sure.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: ARUL on May 28, 2015, 04:56:31 PM
Papo styraco is still the most favorite for me  :) nice collection !
It's one of my favorites also! Thanks for the kind words.

Quote from: joossa on May 29, 2015, 05:44:17 AM
Very nice!
Love the Papo Styracosaurus myself too, but prefer the WS Pachyrhinosaurus over the Papo model. Nice comparison shot too.

Haha, yeah, the CollectA Diabloceratops always looks spooked! Kind of funny. I've always thought the CollectA Torosaurus looked "off" somehow... maybe the proportions? Maybe because it's on the small side? Not sure.
The WS Pachy is really nice too. For that matter, so is the Battat. As for the Torosaurus, I get the same sense. I think the head is well-proportioned with the body, but I think there are problems in the face. It might be that the beak is too small, but I am not at all certain.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.