News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Is that the only Pterodaustro figure out there? It's such a cool species I'd be surprised. And in your opinion, is the WWD Ornitho the best? Would you replace this one if you had it?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 22, 2017, 11:00:48 PM
Is that the only Pterodaustro figure out there? It's such a cool species I'd be surprised. And in your opinion, is the WWD Ornitho the best? Would you replace this one if you had it?

I think the only other Pterodaustro (apart from Shapeways) is the one from Xidi/Lontic/Happy Kin:

I prefer the Cog, but yeah, it's surprising there aren't more versions. In general I think there are only three or four pterosaurs that are made often and reasonably well. I've found it difficult to decide on my favorite Dimorphodon and Pteranodon figures, but for the vast majority of taxa you can either not find one at all, or there's only one or a few, often very ugly, figures.

As for Ornithocheirus, yeah, I think the WWD is better, although, like the TS Toys version, it might be better called Tropeognathus, since the narration makes it clear that that's what it's modeled on. I would still replace the CollectA with it if I were lucky enough to find it. I think it's much likelier that someone else will make a nice one before I ever find one (Safari?). On a related note, it's really kind of a bummer that CollectA burned through most of the good English taxa so early, since they turned out badly and they haven't shown much willingness to make new versions. I think they could make a nice Ornithocheirus now, but I doubt they will. Maybe they'll make a good Coloborhynchus, to which many of the specimens formerly assigned to Ornithocheirus have been moved.

Today, Lower Cretaceous cerapods:

Mattel Archaeoceratops (Go Diego Go!)
Scale: 1:8
Released: 2008

CollectA Koreaceratops
Scale: 1:40
Released: 2012

Kaiyodo Psittacosaurus (Dino Expo 2004)
Scale: 1:20
Sculptor: Seiji Yamamoto

Safari Psittacosaurus
Scale: 1:14
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Released: 2017

Yowie Fulgurotherium (Lost Kingdoms A)
Scale: 1:15
Released: 2000

Toyway Leaellynasaura (Walking with Dinosaurs)
Scale: 1:10
Released: 1998

Geoworld Hypsilophodon
Scale: 1:8

CollectA Hypsilophodon
Scale: 1:30

Yowie Atlascopcosaurus (Lost Kingdoms B)
Scale: 1:35
Released: 2001

CollectA Tenontosaurus
Scale: 1:45
Released: 2009

Favorite Fukuisaurus (Fukui Museum)
Sculptor: Kazunari Araki
Released: 2015

CollectA Muttaburrasaurus
Scale: 1:50

Battat Ouranosaurus (Boston Museum of Science)
Sculptor: Greg Wenzel
Released: 1994

Bullyland Iguanodon
Released: 2010
NB: I think the Safari one is better, but it's so tiny :(
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

Lower Cretaceous thyreophorans:

CollectA Wuerhosaurus

Starlux Acanthopholis
Sculptor: Maurice Massat
Released: 1978

Safari Sauropelta
Scale: 1:25

Kaiyodo Sauropelta (Dinotales 3)
Sculptor: Ataru Sugaya

Sega Pawpawsaurus (Dinosaur King)

Papo Polacanthus
Sculptor: Seo Jung-Woon

CollectA Gastonia
Released: 2014

Protocasts Hylaeosaurus
Sculptor: Clayton Hildebrand

CollectA Hylaeosaurus

CollectA Minmi
Scale: 1:13

Yowie Minmi (Lost Kingdoms B)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

BlueKrono

Lotta doubles here. Surprised to see the Kaiyodo Sauropelta - I didn't think you went for the little guys so much. What's up with the Yowie Minmi when there's the CollectA? And those Hylaeosauruses are pretty different. Is that because of fragmentary remains? It seems consensuses (consensi?) are hard to reach when it comes to ankylosaur appearances.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Yup, I often have doubles if they're in two different scales. The Kaiyodo Sauropelta is right at the edge; 1:50 is usually my cutoff for miniatures, unless they're fish. As for Minmi, the CollectA one is pretty bad, even though superficially it's more realistic. Plus, different scales. As for the Hylaeosaurus, I think the Protocasts version is pretty clearly better, but as you suspect the head is not well known (only the occiput is present in the holotype). The Protocasts head is more plausible; I think the CollectA looks a lot like a cow. Still, it's the best toy version, which isn't really saying much, because I'm pretty sure it's the only one.

Lower Cretaceous maniraptorans, with one new addition (and plenty of doubles):

Yowie Nanantius (Lost Kingdoms A)
Scale: 1:4

PNSO Confuciusornis
Scale: 1:6
Sculptor: Zhao Chuang
Released: 2016

Mattel Sinornithoides (Go Diego Go!)
Scale: 1:4-1:5

Safari Microraptor
Scale: 1:5

Colorata Microraptor (Feathered Dinosaurs box)

Safari Sinornithosaurus (Feathered Dinos Toob)

Rebor Deinonychus

Favorite Deinonychus (Metal Models), the one new figure in this batch. Not a lot of 1:40-ish Deinonychus figures out there. The Kaiyodo is a little too big, and the Carnegie is way too naked.

CollectA Utahraptor
Released: 2011

Safari Caudipteryx (Carnegie Collection)
Sculptor: Forest Rogers
Released: 2006

Safari Caudipteryx (Feathered Dinos Toob)

Hayakawa Alxasaurus
Released: 2011?

Safari Beipiaosaurus (Feathered Dinos Toob)

Safari Beipiaosaurus (Carnegie Collection)

Geoworld Falcarius

Patrx

Lovely maniraptorans! By the by, where are you finding the names of the sculptors for Kaiyodo? I'd be glad to know who to credit; the work is almost invariably really great.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Patrx on July 25, 2017, 04:58:27 PM
Lovely maniraptorans! By the by, where are you finding the names of the sculptors for Kaiyodo? I'd be glad to know who to credit; the work is almost invariably really great.

Thanks! The Favorite Deinonychus was actually my 500th figure, a milestone that I never dreamed I'd reach when I started buying toy dinosaurs.

Most of the Kaiyodo figures have their sculptors named in DeMarco's Dinosauriana (except the Collect Club ones, unfortunately). If you pm me your email address, I can send you the relevant pdfs. I'd also love to know the sculptors of all my toys, but sadly so many are anonymous.

Patrx

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 25, 2017, 09:28:41 PMThanks! The Favorite Deinonychus was actually my 500th figure, a milestone that I never dreamed I'd reach when I started buying toy dinosaurs.
Most of the Kaiyodo figures have their sculptors named in DeMarco's Dinosauriana (except the Collect Club ones, unfortunately). If you pm me your email address, I can send you the relevant pdfs. I'd also love to know the sculptors of all my toys, but sadly so many are anonymous.

Wow! You know, I've never counted my dinosaurs; but they certainly do seem to add up faster than one might think. I'll send a PM, that Dinosauraina sounds really useful :)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Patrx on July 25, 2017, 09:44:33 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 25, 2017, 09:28:41 PMThanks! The Favorite Deinonychus was actually my 500th figure, a milestone that I never dreamed I'd reach when I started buying toy dinosaurs.

Wow! You know, I've never counted my dinosaurs; but they certainly do seem to add up faster than one might think. I'll send a PM, that Dinosauraina sounds really useful :)

I've never counted them either, in truth, but I keep track of them in a spreadsheet. I let the computer count them!

Today, Lower Cretaceous coelurosaurs:

Favorite Pelecanimimus (Fukui Museum)

Kanna Dinosaur Center "Sanchusaurus" (nomen nudum)
Scale: ?

CollectA Beishanlong

Yowie Kakuru (Lost Kingdoms B)

Kaiyodo Sinosauropteryx (Dinotales 1.2)
Sculptor: Ataru Sugaya

Yowie Timimus (Lost Kingdoms B)

Safari Dilong (Feathered Dinos Toob)

Safari Dilong (Carnegie Collection)

CollectA Eotyrannus. God, eww.

CollectA Xiongguanlong

Safari Yutyrannus

Halichoeres

The remaining Lower Cretaceous theropods:

Favorite Concavenator (Fukui Museum)

Kaiyodo Fukuiraptor kitadaniensis (Capsule Q "Dinosaurs of Japan")
Sculptor: Takashi Kinoshita

Favorite Fukuiraptor kitadaniensis (Fukui Museum)

CollectA Neovenator (Deluxe version)

Geoworld Altispinax (=Becklespinax)

Safari Suchomimus

Papo Baryonyx
Sculptor: Seo Jung-woon

CollectA Irritator

CollectA Ichthyovenator

CollectA Spinosaurus (Deluxe version)

Favorite Spinosaurus (Dinostoreus desktop model)
Sculptor: Takashi Oda
Released: 2005

Papo Acrocanthosaurus
Sculptor: Seo Jung-woon

Sim

I thought you might want to know you've got the Fukuiraptor listed as Fukuisaurus.

ZoPteryx

This makes me realize that spinosaurs are probably the best represented group of dinosaurs on the market in terms of the number of species represented by toys compared to the total number of valid species.  Ironic considering how poorly known most are.

BlueKrono

Has anyone ever made a Concavenator that actually reflects the most complete skeleton we have? Most seem to lack the spine at the base of the tail. Do you think the spinous processes broke off or weren't actually present?

And I know you're a fish guy, but that 12 year old Dinostoreus is pretty outdated, especially the sail shape. What gives?  :P

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on July 27, 2017, 09:44:10 PM
I thought you might want to know you've got the Fukuiraptor listed as Fukuisaurus.

Thanks! Fixed. I should proofread more.

Quote from: ZoPteryx on July 28, 2017, 01:26:29 AM
This makes me realize that spinosaurs are probably the best represented group of dinosaurs on the market in terms of the number of species represented by toys compared to the total number of valid species.  Ironic considering how poorly known most are.

Yeah, there's an awful lot of figures. Pretty much every taxon, even Ostafrikasaurus, which is known from a single tooth. I probably have things that fragmentary in my collection, but the Brawlasaurs went too far even for my lax standards for inclusion of a genus.

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 28, 2017, 01:54:34 AM
Has anyone ever made a Concavenator that actually reflects the most complete skeleton we have? Most seem to lack the spine at the base of the tail. Do you think the spinous processes broke off or weren't actually present?

And I know you're a fish guy, but that 12 year old Dinostoreus is pretty outdated, especially the sail shape. What gives?  :P

I don't know enough about Concavenator to comment on that. Maybe the Carnegie looks closest to that? The Carnegie also has the advantage of lacking the little arm quills.

Yeah, I have that Dinostoreus for the gar. Shame about the sail, but I also like having a bipedal Spinosaurus because I take a fairly dim view of the Ibrahim et al. reconstruction. It might be correct, but I am not convinced yet.

Shonisaurus

From my point of view I think both the paleoartística representation of the concavenator and the ichyovenator is too hasty, I understand that it is very premature to know what they really were like. I honestly do not think they had both dinosaurs one of the carcharodontosauroidea family and another one of the spinosauroid family the appearance shown by the scientists. It is all too tentative would need to know more remains of those dinosaurs and that is very difficult not to say impossible to be lucky to find remains of such complete dinosaurs in a considerable part of the cases unfortunately.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Shonisaurus on July 28, 2017, 04:02:53 PM
From my point of view I think both the paleoartística representation of the concavenator and the ichyovenator is too hasty, I understand that it is very premature to know what they really were like. I honestly do not think they had both dinosaurs one of the carcharodontosauroidea family and another one of the spinosauroid family the appearance shown by the scientists. It is all too tentative would need to know more remains of those dinosaurs and that is very difficult not to say impossible to be lucky to find remains of such complete dinosaurs in a considerable part of the cases unfortunately.

If the diagram BlueKrono posted is correct, then Concavenator is known from pretty good remains. I can live with a little ambiguity on the shape of the neural spines over the hips. But I agree that Ichthyovenator, like most spinosaurids, is pretty damn fragmentary.

Lower Cretaceous sauropsids:

Favorite Tambatitanis
Sculptor: Hirokazu Tokugawa

PNSO Huanghetitan
Scale: 1:18

CollectA Daxiatitan
Scale: 1:50-1:55

Takara Tomy Sauroposeidon (Dinosaur Train)
Scale: 1:75-1:80

CollectA Agustinia (Deluxe version)

Safari Nigersaurus

Safari Amargasaurus
Released: 2007

Playskool Ultrasaurus (Definitely Dinosaurs)
Scale: 1:17
Released: 1989

PNSO Euhelopus

Mojö Sarcosuchus

Safari Dakosaurus (Prehistoric Crocs Toob)

Safari Kronosaurus

Yowie Umoonasaurus (Lost Kingdoms B, "Eric the Pliosaur," formerly Leptocleidus but the specimen has been reassigned)
Scale: 1:35-1:40

Kaiyodo Sinemys gamera (Dinotales 1.2)
Sculptor: Goro Furuta

Playmobil "flying lizard," which I use as a Xianglong. As such, it's about 1:3 scale.

Halichoeres

The rest of the Lower Cretaceous: vertebrates, mollusks (including a new one!), tracheophytes.

Paleo-Creatures Repenomamus
Sculptor: Jesús Toledo Arriaza

Yowie Steropodon (Lost Kingdoms A)
Scale: 1:7

Yowie Kollikodon (Lost Kingdoms B)

Kaiyodo Axelrodichthys (Dinotales 1, 1.2)

Dinostoreus cf. Obaichthys, a.k.a. the reason to buy a Spinosaurus statue
Scale: ~1:40
Sculptor: Takashi Oda

Kanna Dinosaur Center Lepidotes sp.

Safari Diplomystus (Ancient Fossils Toob)

Safari Hybodus (Prehistoric Sharks Toob)

Kaiyodo Douvilleiceras (Dinotales 4)
Scale: 1:3
Released: 2003

Yowie Tropaeum imperator (Lost Kingdoms B)

CollectA Australiceras (Prehistoric Marine tube). Probably missing some arms? Probably also with the aptychus in the wrong position. Minor quibbles, though, I'm happy to have more ammonite diversity on the shelf, even if this one isn't necessarily the best for dioramas (I don't have a lot of 1:5 sea monsters).

CollectA Monanthesia and Cycadeoidea
Scale: 1:18

bmathison1972

Nice collection. I want the accessories with the Paleocasts Tully Monster. Paleocasts is apparently taking a short hiatus but if I see that diorama offered, I'll buy it just for the accessories!

postsaurischian

:D Wonderful collection! Do you have a source for the Dinotales sculptors?

Ezikot

Thank you very much, Halichoeres, for sharing your wonderful collection.
You gave me lots of really useful infos about the figures.

Concerning the starlux figures, here (http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Starlux_Prehistoric) it is written
"The Starlux Prehistoric serie began with five models in 1968, the Mammoth, Diplodocus, Iguanodon, Aurochs and Cave bear. Maurice Massat sculpted all the models of this series".
(Still, I'm not sure it means he sculpted the whole Prehistoric serie or just the first five figures)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: