News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Current Spinosaurus Skeletal?

Started by Alatariel, June 11, 2015, 07:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatariel

Hey, can anyone direct me to an up-to-date Spinosaurus aegyptiacus skeletal to use as reference for a sculpture? Scott Harmon's is copyrighted as being done in 2013, is that one still accurate? I'm sort of worried that anything I find will be either old or based off the JP animal.
Icon credit: © Davide Bonadonna

tyrantqueen

Here you go

.....Just kidding >:D

I like this one.

Alatariel

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 11, 2015, 07:07:59 PM
Here you go

.....Just kidding >:D

I like this one.

I have to say, I busted out laughing in the middle of the library when I saw that first pic, Tyrantqueen  ;) Thanks so much for the help!
Icon credit: © Davide Bonadonna

Blade-of-the-Moon

Those skeletals really show just how little we actually have of this animal to work with.

I'm not sure if Scott plans to update his Spino or not..he may eventually just not sure where he stands on the new look.

Takama

Just how new are those Skeletals? Does this mean this is outdated?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Those skeletals are pretty close to the skeleton there..just a bit different. 

It actually kind of bugs me..the head and neck being so long and the torso so shallow..seem off to me..but it's just me I guess. Still warming up to it.

Takama

So really the only difference is the length of the sail?

Sim

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 11, 2015, 07:07:59 PM

I wonder why despite having the unusually shaped lower jaw, they still gave it a generic skull that doesn't seem like it can close completely?  I think many inaccuracies in old reconstructions are understandable but that one... is puzzling!

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 11, 2015, 08:02:50 PM
Those skeletals really show just how little we actually have of this animal to work with.

I'm not sure if Scott plans to update his Spino or not..he may eventually just not sure where he stands on the new look.
I don't know if he's said anything more recently about Spinosaurus after his interesting posts in the comments on this page - scroll down to see them, there's several!: http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/art/Walker-s-heavy-claw-320348239

stargatedalek

I made some skeletals a few months back. Normally I would refer to Hartman on this (skeletals are his thing after all), but after the diagram with the paper was updated it revealed the measuring and scaling in more detail. The steps are out there for anyone to try themselves, I did and I got the same results as Ibrahim, a few well known paleontologists and paleoartists also gave it a shot but off the top of my head the only person I remember getting the same results was Mark Witton.

I put it in several varying poses for comparison of what I found to be the more plausible methods of locomotion. I'm just an amateur so the bones are probably not shaped exactly right, and I'm still a tad iffy about how I attached the tail vertebrae. Its meant to present the locomotion's and serve as basic reference, all the details are probably not quite right.

Tyrannax

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 11, 2015, 09:41:09 PM
I made some skeletals a few months back. Normally I would refer to Hartman on this (skeletals are his thing after all), but after the diagram with the paper was updated it revealed the measuring and scaling in more detail. The steps are out there for anyone to try themselves, I did and I got the same results as Ibrahim, a few well known paleontologists and paleoartists also gave it a shot but off the top of my head the only person I remember getting the same results was Mark Witton.

I put it in several varying poses for comparison of what I found to be the more plausible methods of locomotion. I'm just an amateur so the bones are probably not shaped exactly right, and I'm still a tad iffy about how I attached the tail vertebrae. Its meant to present the locomotion's and serve as basic reference, all the details are probably not quite right.

I haven't seen an updated skeletal diagram of spinosaurus. It's a bit shocking, as the legs look incredibly short for such a massive animal. I'm sure the topic of whether it utilized its forelimbs at least partly for locomotion has been discussed. What's the general consensus on that?

Member since 2008

Tyto_Theropod

I still stare at that front-heavy skeleton and think, If it DID come onto land, how in the world did it walk?!  ??? It might just be me, but none of star's postures seem liklely to me.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on June 12, 2015, 08:04:08 PM
I still stare at that front-heavy skeleton and think, If it DID come onto land, how in the world did it walk?!  ??? It might just be me, but none of star's postures seem liklely to me.
I think that it spent almost all of its time in the water, coming on land only to lay its eggs. When it came on land, I think the most likely method of locomotion is the mud-crawling suggested by Duane Nash.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

stargatedalek

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on June 12, 2015, 08:04:08 PM
I still stare at that front-heavy skeleton and think, If it DID come onto land, how in the world did it walk?!  ??? It might just be me, but none of star's postures seem likely to me.
To be entirely honest there really isn't a pose where it looks comfortable on land. I personally think the more likely is the one leaning on the entire forearm as opposed to the blue knuckle walking one, which is the one Ibrahim proposed. If I had to compare spinosaurus to anything it would be a loon, tiny legs, elongated "tubular" body and a long neck, and loons are not very proficient at walking on land either.

Tyto_Theropod

The black one does indeed look the most plausible to me, as well. It's kind of funny that dinosaurs evolved from relatives of crocodiles, and here we have a dinosaur that seems to be de-evolving into a crocodile!
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just watched a video of a loon on land...for the sake of the species they really need to stay very close to the water! lol

I'm going to have give my 1:1 Spino some more thought it looks like..try to merge what I want to do with what the evidence says it's capable of.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.