News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papi-Anon's Paleoart

Started by Papi-Anon, August 05, 2015, 11:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papi-Anon

EDIT: Well darn, my old image-shack account seems to be gone. Re-uploading everything using photobucket this time.

So recently I've gotten back into collecting action figures for the first time in years, and being the creative type I'm in it for customizing.

Keep in mind that I'm an amateur artists with a nearly-complete 2yr degree in Mechanical Drafting who works full-time on the night-shift at a certain retail empire cleaning floors. What little time I have to myself I'm trying to use for these projects (paleo and non-paleo).

Okay, enough yakking.

So here's an initial sculpt of my 1:12 Gorgonops action figure prototype. The yellow parts are plastaline clay, and the body and tail were initially casts of a Mojo Komodo Dragon figurine which I smoothed-out the scales from before modifying to a gorgonopsid frame. The arm, leg, and feet are free-handed sculpts for a basic design. The head is in fact made from a heavily-modified casting of the Komodo Dragon's head using warped and added-on PCLumber wood-epoxy putty. My goal for the design is to have the body, tail, and neck be casted in a soft plastic/rubber material with bendy-wire running down the spine of the figure from the head to the tail, while the inside of the hollow body will house a plastic frame for the ball-joints that will attach the arms to the shoulders and the legs to the hips. The head will be plastic and will ultimately be hinged with the teeth thickened a bit more for sturdiness. The knees/elbows and wrists/ankles will use hinge an hinge-pivot joints respectively.

Whew! Tall order, but being a Draftsman-in-training and having access to 3D CAD software I should be able to streamline the production of this project once the prototype is done.

My next main step is casting and then detailing the body's sculpt to have a ridge of hairiness down the spine with a glandular skin texture (pocked with small pebbly spots here and there) made from boiled Sculpey.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Jetoar

Awesome  figure  :o. I do articulated figures as you too. I think that you could use as reference the figure of Jurassic Park Lycaenops as help. The jaws is poseable too, isn´t it?. It is a hard work  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Papi-Anon

Quote from: Jetoar on August 05, 2015, 11:24:19 PM
Awesome  figure  :o. I do articulated figures as you too. I think that you could use as reference the figure of Jurassic Park Lycaenops as help. The jaws is poseable too, isn´t it?. It is a hard work  ^-^.

Thanks!

So here's a quick update while I have the chance.

Here's a preliminary plastaline sculpt of the head, a bit bigger than the wood epoxy prototype I posted earlier, so it fits the body proportions better. The next step is to make a Sculpey casting of the body and head to heat-cure via boiling and then add the finer detaiils. I plan to use snips of fishing line for the body hair that will run down the back, gluing them in place so the final mold will have all the details. The limbs will come after that.

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."

Papi-Anon

Update time!

So here's the early form of the forearm prototype, cannibalized from one of those knock-off G.I. Joe figures ('Corps' or something like that) and a steel-epoxy casted copy of the Komodo dragon figure's hand.

Should have taken the picture with a ruler for dimensions, but at the moment the overall length is a little more than 6in (15.24cm) and about 2in (5.08cm) at the shoulder.

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

Papi-Anon

Sorry for the lateness on these pics, I meant to post these about a month ago....

Here's some more shots of the basic head sculpt. I gave Gorg here jaw muscles like a canine's with the sagittal (sp?) crest just a little visible. Honestly, with how similar Gorgonops's skull looks like carnivorous mammals' I just can't see the head and face being too different in design. Reminds me of my chow-lab mix dog but with a broader muzzle.

More updates pics pending in the next few days, plus some different projects new and old.

Papi-Anon

Update time!

So here's a recasting of the clay head done in PCLumber epoxy putty with finer details added. The front 8 teeth shown are going to need to be redone to encompass the front of the jaws better from fang to fang (they kinda look like baleen here, lol). The back 4 teeth following each fang will be added next as well.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

LophoLeeVT

wow came a lot better than i thought!
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!

Papi-Anon

Mini-update!

So here's a few pics of a 3D-printed 4mm swivel-hinge joint I'm using for Gorgonops's wrists and ankles (feet and hands will be two sets of recasting a of the Mojo Komodo dragon figure's hands) that I whipped up in SolidWorks and had printed by Shapeways.  I've also decided to use Hobby Base joints for Gorgonops's limb and neck articulation.

Papi-Anon

And now some pics of some OTHER paleoart subjects.

So while I've worked some on Gorgonops, I've also done a bit on another 1/12 scale figure project: Postosuchus. Similar to Gorgo, I'm kit-bashing castings of existing toys with modifications added to the sculpts. Postosuchus here is just an incomplete set of proto castings made from boiled Sculpy Mold Maker casted from silicone mold maker putty (it's like 'Inception' of mold-makers). The silicone molds themselves are of sections of the Jurassic World Indominus Rex (the one that comes with the gyrosphere) as well as the 6" tall 2014 Godzilla made by Neca. These 'shell castings' are just preliminary fankensteining of the different sections I casted, and epoxy castings will come later once I get the arms, legs, feet, and teeth made, then further modifications to smooth out the details and adjust other odds and ends (such as the head to look more like Postosuchus than it currently does).

My goal is to mix the WWD Postosuchus's overall design with the newer biped layout.

Everything_Dinosaur

Looks like an intriguing project, good luck to you.

Jetoar

Have you seen my articulated Postosuchus? It will be beautiful couple  ;).

Papi-Anon

Quote from: Jetoar on October 14, 2015, 01:53:54 PM
Have you seen my articulated Postosuchus? It will be beautiful couple  ;).

Yes I have, and I think you did an outstanding job on yours.

Papi-Anon

More stuff!

So here's a quick update on Gorgo with a brass rod temporarily used for the jaw hinge along with the updated upper teeth fitting into the lower jaw.

And here's how the Hobby Base joint will fit into the back of the head for the neck-articulation:

I have 3D printed teeth for Gorgonops's upper jaw en-route from Shapeways in a week or less so that I can attach the upper jaws' teeth separate to the head once I get a model of the head made and printed. The lower jaws and teeth will be designed next.

Nothing new yet on Postosuchus, but here's a little WIP I whipped up for fun: a Gigantopithecus skull:

I used a Safar Toob of Prehistoric Mammals pack's Australopithecus for the base castings and then modded them from there. Still need to carve/sand the bridge of the nose and extend the mandibles' rear parts up more to meet their respected sockets in the cheeks, plus give Giganto some bamboo-munching teeth. And yes, I'm going for the bipedal design. Here's a comparison with the Australopithecus skull:

Jetoar

Really scult work and wonderful jaws mechanism  ^-^.

LophoLeeVT

Papi-Anon

Been a while since I updated, so here's something.

Here's a fictional reconstruction of Andrewsarchus based on a story I'm writing. Long-story short, the holotype specimen of Andrewsarchus was the severed head of a sentient, shape-shifting beast that dwelled on Earth during the Eocene. I based the design mostly on the Walking with Beasts Andrewsarchus (the now outdated mesonychid design) but gave it a stockier body with the eyes positioned lower to be closer to the cheek bones like in the holotype skull (seriously, how was that overlooked in the design process for the WWB Andrewsarchus??).

In the scifi story the beast is named 'Sobca' but a tribe of ancient humans (who deal with a later incarnation of the creature during the Pleistocene) call it 'dīnLīcāna' in the fictional language they speak (a conlang I made up years ago).

So...yeah, about as much of a Paleo-art piece as one of Indominus Rex would be.

And drawn in the Microsoft XP version of MSPaint start to finish with just my mouse and keyboard!

Derek.McManus

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.