News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papi-Anon's Paleoart

Started by Papi-Anon, August 05, 2015, 11:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

We can always use more Tiktaalik!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Papi-Anon

Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Papi-Anon

Been a while since I posted anything, so here's a doozy:

My 3D-printed Andrewsarchus skulls got to meet a very special fossil exhibit while I was in NYC...

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."

ZoPteryx

That's really cool!  Perfect match to the original!

Papi-Anon

Blast from the past!

While we're packing up to move I stumbled upon an OLD piece of paleo-art when I was just in middle school and still rewatching my vhs recordings of Walking With Dinosaurs when it debuted in America.

I haven't sketched in ages but perhaps I should do another WWD Allo drawing to complete the cycle, lol.

$5 for scale since I don't have a George Washington at the moment.

Papi-Anon

Situated in my new home now, and have been working on a concept design for a mammal that is under-represented in toy form.

Libraraptor

Will this design become a figure someday?

Papi-Anon

Quote from: Libraraptor on June 25, 2020, 08:45:55 AM
Will this design become a figure someday?

That's the plan. I know I do a lot of designs that never see the light of day (curse you, adult attention-deficit disorder!) but Thylacosmilus will get printed in the near future for certain since it utilizes a lot of proven joint designs I've tested. Only issue currently is the cost for getting said prints since I only work part-time right now.

Papi-Anon

A little something I doodled.

What would anime characters look like in a world where Neanderthals had out-competed H. sapiens and dominated the planet instead?

Papi-Anon

Tried out Sculpteo for printing this time and was pretty satisfied with the results. Did a test print of Thylacosmilus that ended up being a disaster due to the sprues being too thin (Shapeways it's never an issue) and some engineering not adding up (error on my part). But, certain features did work out that were experimental like the snap-together pegs and the clamshell designs. Will post pics of what made it later.

The other thing I got printed was a 1/12 scale articulated Deinitherium head that overall turned out decent. Peg holes and ball hinges aren't tight enough to support the weight but the design looks great. Never posted previews of the design before but it's been an off-on design for the past two years or so in my design time. Also I got a good paying full time job now so my budget for printing has FINALLY gone up again. Expect more prints in the coming months.

Papi-Anon

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 15, 2020, 05:55:42 PM
Such a cool concept, I'm excited to see this progress.
Especially with this excellent genus choice.
There can never be enough toys of extinct synapsids.
Also I'm seeing you on the forum for the first time and am inclined to ask, Papi as in Papi from Monster Musume?
How fitting since harpies are half-dinosaurs.  :))
I don't watch it but my partner loves the show.

Thanks! Yes, I got the name from the harpy girl (her and Centorea are my favorite characters) as a nickname on 4chan when I was first trying to make a custom Papi figma. That reminds me, I need to revisit those CAD files I started for a blank harpy figure...

Papi-Anon

Technically this is paleo art since the subject in question is a prehistoric creature of the series it's from, plus it was based on actual extinct and living animals of notoriety.

Here is a 1/12 scale figure of the prehistoric Pokémon Kabuto. For those who never got into the Pokémon series, at one point in the original games you attain three Pokémon fossils which later can be 'revived' in an implied Jurassic Park-like fashion that gives you the now de-extinct Pokémon. One fossil gives you a pterosaur-like Pokémon called Aerodactyl, another gives you an ammonite-like Pokémon called Omanyte, and the third produces Kabuto which is an amalgamation of a horseshoe crab and trilobite.

Reference pics for the extinct Pokémon and their evolved forms. Note that Kabuto's later form Kabutops is vaguely reminiscent of a sea scorpion.

The articulation in my print is pretty simple with ball-sockets for the peg legs that can be rotated, which can allow the figure to sit up to show the underside and bottom eyes. Overall figure length is a smidge over 1inch/2.54cm.

Loon

Oh, that's too cool. I always loved Kabuto, and I think the figure's simple articulation works, it is a simple design after all.

Newt

This is my first time discovering this thread. So much cool stuff! I love your stylized articulated figures.

Papi-Anon

Quote from: Loon on November 08, 2020, 05:39:36 AM
Oh, that's too cool. I always loved Kabuto, and I think the figure's simple articulation works, it is a simple design after all.

Thanks! And while we're on the subject, I messed around with my Kabuto design and made a stylized Trilobite. I call him Lobey, and I'm gonna get a print of him too next paycheck.

Quote from: Newt on November 10, 2020, 01:07:53 PM
This is my first time discovering this thread. So much cool stuff! I love your stylized articulated figures.

Thanks!

BlueKrono

Can people buy prints of your creations somewhere? I'd be all in for that Deinotherium, and of course the Andrewsarchus, my favorite prehistoric mammal.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Papi-Anon

Quote from: BlueKrono on November 15, 2020, 05:44:04 AM
Can people buy prints of your creations somewhere? I'd be all in for that Deinotherium, and of course the Andrewsarchus, my favorite prehistoric mammal.

I updated my signature with a link to my Shapeways store. Unfortunately the Deinotherium head is not available on Shapeways due to the fact that I need to iron out some kinks in the design. However, I might be willing to sell my sole print privately if you would like to take this to the PM's.

As an update, you can now purchase Kabuto off my Shapeways store!

Papi-Anon

Presenting Paleo-Pals, 3D printed figures of critters from long ago!

Meet Lobey the Trilobite! Lobey is usually a chill arthropod, scuttling and nibbling on his favorite Paleolithic seafloor-munch. He's a bit skittish but deep down he just wants a nice friend who doesn't think he looks yummy.

You can get your very own Lobey print from my Shapeways store The God-Fodder:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/F2VPD3SJ4/lobey-the-trilobite?key=31f8dd46c005ab85d1092f66db730655&li=shop-inventory

Papi-Anon

(First update of 2021!)

I finally had a successful print of one of my many paleo-projects after a while: a 1:12 Mesonyx!

I based it on a mix of different interpretations so that it wouldn't look TOO much like a wolf with hooves but still have that distinct superficial appearance. All printed off Shapeways in Premium SLS Nylon.

With this model's success I plan to make a 1:12 large breed of dog using the lessons learned in the articulation and then I'll revisit Thylacosmilus. I'll have Mesonyx up on my Shapeways store in the coming month ready to be purchased. For now, enjoy the collage of Mesonyx posed and with other popular figure lines for scale.

Newt

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.