News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

1/40 Kosmoceratops

Started by dinonikes, March 20, 2012, 07:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinonikes

Here are a couple of photos showing the absolute first thing to making one of these figures-in this case a 1/40 Kosmoceratops- I cut out the parts for the armature in stiff cardboard(I like to use the cardboard that backs pads of paper once the pads are used up, or old boxes glommed from the recycling bin)- you can see that the frill is just minimal as it is just the cross section at the midline of the frill- once I have the parts cut out, I glue floral wire (or heavier wire if the model is a larger piece) to the parts that need support, such as the legs in this case- these wires are attached to the legs are then glued to the main body cross section piece, and then attached to a base-

dinonikes

Here are a few photos of  roughed in clay-

Patrx

Looks great so far! I like the pose. Think you might include some quills on this guy?

Tylosaurus

Sweeeeeet! very cool little Ceratopsian there :P it has funny horns pointing out sideways, would be complicated to stab an enemy with them  ;D

Patrx

Quote from: John on March 22, 2012, 03:46:23 PM
I would personally rather you didn't put "quills" on any of the ceratopsians just yet.It's just conjecture based on a Psittacosaurus specimen that shows what may be quill like structures (it has unfortunately not been verified as to what the structures actually were since no one will study the specimen due to legal issues with the fossil).

Aw, but they look so cool  ;D Anyway, upon further consideration I'm thinking that quills probably would not cast very well.

Just so long as the "hands" are good and accurate, I will be perfectly happy with this sculpt, even without any conjectural integument. If I may suggest, however, including scales like the impressions from the "Lane" Triceratops:

Also, wasn't there another Trike specimen that showed square-shaped "scutes" along the ventral surface?

John

Quote from: Pixelboy on March 22, 2012, 04:13:40 PM
Quote from: John on March 22, 2012, 03:46:23 PM
I would personally rather you didn't put "quills" on any of the ceratopsians just yet.It's just conjecture based on a Psittacosaurus specimen that shows what may be quill like structures (it has unfortunately not been verified as to what the structures actually were since no one will study the specimen due to legal issues with the fossil).

Aw, but they look so cool  ;D Anyway, upon further consideration I'm thinking that quills probably would not cast very well.

Just so long as the "hands" are good and accurate, I will be perfectly happy with this sculpt, even without any conjectural integument. If I may suggest, however, including scales like the impressions from the "Lane" Triceratops:

Also, wasn't there another Trike specimen that showed square-shaped "scutes" along the ventral surface?

That was also from "Lane"  :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Patrx

Ah, marvelous. What an invaluable find!

Blade-of-the-Moon

First time I've seen that..heard a lot..but never saw it..thanks for posting it !

dinonikes

I always have wanted to see more of these types of photos- would like to see Carnotarus impressions-only have seen one

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinonikes on March 23, 2012, 03:01:40 AM
I always have wanted to see more of these types of photos- would like to see Carnotarus impressions-only have seen one

I only saw it once in a book..never have been able to find any since. :?

Patrx

I found lots of photos of Lane's skin and casts thereof, but you're right - Carnotaurus' skin impressions seem much harder to locate :o
This turned up, but I suspect it's the one you've already seen, and really, I can't verify its authenticity:

Tylosaurus

Nice render Pixelboy :) what program did you use? Maya or 3D Studio MAX?

Patrx

Eh? Actually, I just found that through Google - I think it's a photograph. Though the shape and black background do lend it a sort of "CGI" look.

EDIT:
Malcolm, I also found this - http://www.bhigr.com/media/zoomslides/LaneSkinCast/ - It's a series of high-resolution photos of a cast from Lane's skin. You can zoom in and pan around. Might come in handy while you're sculpting your ceratopsians :)

dinonikes

Pixelboy- Yes that is the one photo I had seen of Carnotaur skin impressions- the ones you posted of the ceratopsian impressions are nice- definately intersting to see.

Takama

Same couple Ceratopsians that CollectA has made together

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.