News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

1/1 Compsognathus pack

Started by dinonikes, July 01, 2012, 03:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinonikes

Here are a couple of photos showing the first of three life size compys I am working on for a client down in FL.- These compys will be displayed outside in a garden setting. He wanted them to be 'like JP compys but not copies of them' This model is in the roughed in state in these photos, before adding details. This measures approx. 36 inches from nose to tailtip.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Wow..awesome ! I see lots of potential here... heh heh ! ;D

I can't really do anything this small with my materials and methods currently. Did your client mention if he would allow you to sell them ? :)

Patrx

Very promising! Little dinosaurs like Compsognathus are some of my favorites :)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Pixelboy on July 03, 2012, 07:26:00 AM
From my reading Compsognathus was not that small in reality. The first specimen found was apparently a juvenile, but there was a newer find in France that was also referred to compsognathus that was at least turkey sized if not a bit larger. Another sad bit of distortion caused by Jurassic Park and its cast of not so realistic dinosaurs.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

dinonikes

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 03, 2012, 07:46:25 AM
Quote from: Pixelboy on July 03, 2012, 07:26:00 AM
From my reading Compsognathus was not that small in reality. The first specimen found was apparently a juvenile, but there was a newer find in France that was also referred to compsognathus that was at least turkey sized if not a bit larger. Another sad bit of distortion caused by Jurassic Park and its cast of not so realistic dinosaurs.

Compsognathus has always been depicted as a chicken sized dinosaur, even before Jurassic Park. The movie caused nothing, only enforced what others had said. No matter, most of the people that watched Jurassic Park probably thought they were baby raptors anyway. The real issue with the Jurassic Park "compys" is with their scientific name. The animals in TLW:JP are described as Compsognathus triassicus. No such animal exists, the name is a mash up of Compsognathus longipes and Procompsognathus triassicus.

Those sculptures look great. I've always wanted a 1/1 scale dinosaur myself, Compsognathus or otherwise.

amargasaurus cazaui

In any event the dinosaur was larger than generally depicted, and many people were given the impression of its small size by the movie, rather than a book or fossil. I know I purchased the ...is it kinto, favorite, or not sure, the desktop model of this dinosaur. While it is large for a 1/1 replica, even it is only something like three feet give or take , head to tail, It is one of the larger dinosaurs I own, but when you look at it compared to the rough size a turkey should be you realize how small its being misportrayed often in books, media and such.
I do like the sculptures, they are gorgeous figures. I like the lines they have and poses as well. I wondered if there was a size reference of method to determine the height of your pack? I notice the hands and wrists are correct as well, so few figures and their artists remember that !
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Wow..I love these Malcolm !

All three seem t a slightly different personality with the pose and all..would love to add a set to my park ! ;D

Malcolm mentioned above they were about 36" from nose to tail tip..I would guess they are just over a foot at the hips.

Balaur

Jetoar

Good work with your compis  ^-^!. I think the same that Gwangi about Compsognathus. In the book of Michael Crichton the specie is Procomsognathus triassicus the is another specie. Book and movie is not the same  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

dinonikes

Here are a couple of photos sent to me showing the compys pack installed in their place at the mini golf course down in Orlando-kind of a dramatic locale for them, I pictured them in a garden setting-

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nice..really love the waterfall...kind of hard to admire them from that far I bet..lol  I do think he needs more than three of em' though ! ;D

..a garden setting you say..I could do that... ;) ;D

Ikessauro

That scenery reminds me of the Playstation The Lost World game. The first stages you have to play with the compy in a very similar background...

wings

Maybe it's the size of the photos or the resolution of my monitor but it looks like you've given the Compsognathus three toes on each foot instead of four. See links below:

http://www.tiedyedfreaks.org/ace/paris/DSCN4379.JPG
or
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IRfhHl7T4Mc/T0EwQZmMElI/AAAAAAAACsU/IvZp-xLVBxw/s1600/compsognathus_1024px.jpg

There is a smaller toes on the inner side (probably attached slightly to the back as well) of the foot. This toe probably rarely touches the ground since it is located quite high on the foot (metatarsal).

Jetoar

Quote from: Ikessauro on September 05, 2012, 04:23:39 PM
That scenery reminds me of the Playstation The Lost World game. The first stages you have to play with the compy in a very similar background...

Yeeeees  ^-^!. Currently I am playing this game in my PSOne and i had forgotten that it is difficult game  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Patrx

These things are adorable. I really like the poses, very naturalistic. They look like they belong out there :)

radman

These are really wonderful.  I'd love to have them in my yard.  Smart of the buyer to put them in a relatively inaccesible place, away from grubby little hands ;D

ZoPteryx

I need to visit this mini-golf course! ;)  Great work on these Dinonikes, they're brilliant! :D

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.