Author Topic: Dimorphodon 3D model  (Read 412 times)

Dinoreplicas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart
  • Dinosaur: A rapidly ageing one!
Dimorphodon 3D model
« on: October 24, 2019, 06:35:40 PM »
Started messing about with a Dimorphodon in Blender. Maybe try to get a 3D printed model out of this, it's still at an early stage so I'll have to see how it develops.

Dinoreplicas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart
Re: Dimorphodon 3D model
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 02:34:19 AM »
After a bit of fiddling I've swapped the placeholder claws with more refined (and more correct) forward facing digits I-III. More tweaks coming.

Justin_

• View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Coelophysis
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 06:26:22 PM »
I'm asking this with zero knowledge of digital modelling. Is this something you've built from scratch or is it some form of stock model you are improving?

Dinoreplicas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 10:51:12 PM »
I'm asking this with zero knowledge of digital modelling. Is this something you've built from scratch or is it some form of stock model you are improving?

I only scratchbuild, Found lots of reference including Padian (1983) for the proportions, skull and details of the limb bones. Useful Pterosaur info on Mark Witton's blog and in his book, The Palaeoartist's Handbook.

Halichoeres

• Social media team
  • Ultimate survivor
  • Ichthyologist, illustrator, urbanist
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: I'm mighty sick of Ty***nosaurus
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 02:00:29 PM »
Ooh, pterosaurs. Always nice to see them done right. I look forward to watching your progress!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

The best figure of every species, according to me: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

My trade/sale/wishlist thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3299.0

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/bookhuntingtim6o9c/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Dinoreplicas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 03:19:52 AM »
Ooh, pterosaurs. Always nice to see them done right. I look forward to watching your progress!
Thanks, gonna try my best.

Been away from this for a while, managed to make some progress today.

Unified the mesh, wing membrane now has a thickness (which I'm sure is going to cause me issues later). Anatomically Pterosaurs are pretty weird, not sure I can get this working well, Trying to set up a mesh structure with regard to posing. Probably attempt something simpler next project.

Dinoreplicas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 02:45:33 PM »
The black grid (slightly under the model) represents 1m with 10cm divisions showing an animal with a length slightly under 1m and with a 1.3m wingspan (with wing straightened), cranium length is 20cm. Made a few tweaks to the flight membrane shape. The current thinking is that Dimorphodon was maybe a part-time flyer with short, broad wings, kind of like a pheasant or a grouse.

The once popular 'Puffinodon' concept is falling out of favour for various reasons (see Mark Witton's blog). Rather than being a fish eater, it's now thought that Dimorphodon was better adapted for hunting small terrestrial game such as lizards and insects.

Started adding some deformers for head, spine and limbs (one side). For the front limb I've put in the shoulder, upper and lower arm, wrist/hand and the 4 phalanges of the wing finger (digit IV), still need to add some bones for the grasping fingers (digits I-III) and the hind-limb toes.

It's Saturday afternoon and I've got the house to myself for a few hours so I think I'll beetle away on this and see how far I can progress with it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 03:15:36 PM by Dinoreplicas »

Dinoreplicas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 05:59:14 PM »
Starting UV mapping by separating the model into colour islands. These are used to define boundary edge selections for UV seams.

Dinoreplicas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 06:01:54 PM »
Almost there with the rig, membrane controllers working but not perfect. That's OK though, hopefully this will give enough pose range, don't intend tinkering with this stage too long.