News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

How did you find the dinotoyforum?

Started by DinoToyForum, May 04, 2012, 03:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How did you find the dinotoyforum?

Via the Dinosaur Toy Blog
33 (41.3%)
Via the Dinosaur Toy Forum V1 Archive
6 (7.5%)
Directly via a search engine
24 (30%)
Via word of mouth
3 (3.8%)
From a link from another website
7 (8.8%)
Other
7 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Lanthanotus

Hmm, despite it being not too long ago (somewhen in the 1st half of 2015) I can't really remember, but I think it was somewhat similar to ITdactyl's way here.

I am a layman scientist (is that even a word?) on varanoid lizards, and as I have a lifelong love for animal figures I looked up monitor lizard models. Not much around there, but I knew Papo as I bought their Komodo Dragon several years before, so I had a look for Papo models and so found the blog and the reviews of their dinosaurs. And so I also found out about Kaiyodo Dinotales and so.... I created an account. I am generally not very active when it comes to the number of forums or social media, so this is one of three forums I am active on and in effect the only one, as the other two have been outcompeted by FB.

Ravonium

My way was quite similar to ITdactyl's as well, except for the fact that I was looking for images of a CollectA marine reptile and that I found the DTB before the DTF v2.

The reason I was looking for those images was because I regained a lost interest in prehistoric animals. I had collected various extant animals for a long time but I had ignored prehistoric animals completely.

ceratopsian

I came across the Prehistoric Times a couple of years or so ago when I was trying to find a magazine to fit with a renewed interest in dinosaurs and indeed fossils in general. Until then, I had no idea that it was possible to collect dinosaurs, certainly not in an organised way as an adult. I said I wasn't going to start down that route. But after reading a couple of issues, I bought my first Carnegie. Just one, you understand! The proverbial slippery slope. It soon had friends. I wanted to find out more about them and some Googling brought me to the Blog. I didn't intend to join the Forum, as I hadn't ever done that sort of thing. But I soon changed my mind, as I realised it was such a valuable resource.

Faelrin

I was searching for images of the JW figures, and that was when I found the dinotoyblog. Took me a while of just browsing the blog and forum before I finally ended up joining. Seeing that there was discussion for the BotM line was probably the main reason I joined. Come to think of it, after JPLegacy died, the forum that was created for the members that wanted to stick around afterwards, was pretty much dead, when it came to discussion of dinosaur toys. So that was probably another driving factor for me joining. I've learned a lot here about accuracy (though I learned some at JPLegacy such as the non-pronated wrists thing for theropods), and other toy brands that I did not know of before, such as Safari Ltd, and CollectA (the only ones I was aware about at the time was JP/JW toys, Papo, and the new BotM line).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoToyForum

Calling all 'newbies'. How did you discover this forum?

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I don't remember exactly, but I think it was something like this.

Since buying the Papo feathered Velociraptor, I started to look for more Papo figures and from there I found Everything Dinosaur's blog and from their I found CollectA (and eventually other companies). I think I was googling images of dinosaur figures, I think CollectA or Safari Ltd, and from their  I found a link to this site, someone's collection page, I think it was Bokisaurus (though I could be wrong about who), and after looking through I found the site propererly.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Avian

I remember buying my first figure, the Battat Terra Cryolophosaurus, at a Target in my town. When I got home, I wondered how the figure stacked up to the real animal. The only review that appeared was on the DinoToyBlog, and I began using the blog as a primary source of information about figures. It was only until recently, I believe around a year or two ago, that I realized there was a forum under my nose the whole time! I quickly joined, and was mostly a lurker until last year. I still wonder at how long it took me to find this place, even considering I joined very late in the game, and that I was only in 6th grade when I began using the Blog.
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

Shonisaurus

In my case I found it with the google search engine, I remember that I was looking for news of dinosaurs from 2007 and I found by chance the page of dinotoyblog.com (then it was not called that) and I saw that they anticipated news of prehistoric animals and dinosaurs that I previously had What to ask the merchants of the Store of the Museum of Natural Sciences of Madrid, I did lose track and spent a day and a half looking for the website until I found it again.

Over time I became a member of dinotoyblog and until now I have subscribed to this exceptional forum and this exceptional website.

triceratops83

I found the Forum witty, informative  and inclusive, thank you very much!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Libraraptor

Quote from: triceratops83 on April 14, 2020, 09:45:03 AM
I found the Forum witty, informative  and inclusive, thank you very much!

:)) :)) :))

As most of you know, I am a faithful soul on both the Dinosaur Toy Blog and the Dinosaur Toy Forum since 2008, when I stumbled upon the forum looking for the Invicta blue whale in order to complete my collection.  I found friendly people there and open ears and eyes for my growing collection. Later I began reviewing toys and figures here on the blog. I enjoy this interest as much as I did in 2008.

How about our newest members?!

Kotori_Sonoda

I was looking for written Jurassic World toy reviews and it led me to DTB.
And what do you know, there's a forum attached to it!
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.

Jurassic Park toys collector

Stegotyranno420

I was looking for pictures of customized figures, something I always found interesting. Then I stumbled upon the Dinotoyforum a couple of times, sometimes the v1 sometimes the modern one. I lost interest in the v1 one because it had many blocked pictures and it was a archive. So o went to version 2 where lurked around as a guest and also read on the dinotoyblog, which I thought was a dinotoywiki(although more simplistic). Then eventually I became a member of the forum. But I was shy because I been in other dinosaur communities that could sometimes be toxic. In fact, looking back, I take back, my words about the forum getting more toxic. In fact they made the most toxic forum members look like Ned Flanders. So as a person with a bad experience, I used to think different of the forumites, before I met you guys. Now I could finally say I have more than 4 friends. Thanks everybody.

SidB

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno , thanks for sharing these thoughts - they are encouraging.

Dinoxels

I'm pretty sure I found this place by searching up "Safari Ltd. 2020 Wishes and Predictions" on google. I sort of lurked for the rest of the year until last December, when I joined.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

PrimevalRaptor

I first found it through the blog, which I found over 10 years ago while looking for dinosaur models online, I remember how excited I got seeing the new Safari releases each time!
So I've been lurking here for a loooooooong time lol

Funk

Via the blog, but I don't remember how I found the blog itself to begin with... Probably while searching for info on some toy.

Tyto_Theropod

Not sure what to vote for my case, to be honest.  It was almost exactly ten years ago, and I'd just got back into dinosaurs.  I was doing a Google image search of a model to see if I wanted to buy it, and lo and behold some pictures taken by a member on DTF ver. 1 showed up.  For the next few years I kept the forum in mind and thought about joining some day, but didn't really look at it much.  Then in early 2014 I really got into the swing of repainting models and wanted to show off my work somewhere where people would appreciate it and give me constructive crit.  So I finally got an account and have been active on and off ever since.

So I guess a link from another website?  Or would it be 'Other'?
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on September 02, 2020, 01:18:35 PM
Not sure what to vote for my case, to be honest.  It was almost exactly ten years ago, and I'd just got back into dinosaurs.  I was doing a Google image search of a model to see if I wanted to buy it, and lo and behold some pictures taken by a member on DTF ver. 1 showed up.  For the next few years I kept the forum in mind and thought about joining some day, but didn't really look at it much.  Then in early 2014 I really got into the swing of repainting models and wanted to show off my work somewhere where people would appreciate it and give me constructive crit.  So I finally got an account and have been active on and off ever since.

So I guess a link from another website?  Or would it be 'Other'?

Directly from a search engine, I'd say. The option "Via V1 forum" is for long-standing members who were members there before V2 existed and moved with us when the forum moved.

Halichoeres

Definitely via the blog. I think what prompted me to join the forum was seeing that people wanted Mold-a-Rama figures from the museum where I was working at the time. I was able to distribute quite a few of them.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Although I have already intervened in this thread I have to confess that to find this forum I can assure that it took me a whopping seven hours to be connected to the internet until I found it, I can say that my neck was sore and I almost had a torticollis the two days after. Honestly, it is one of the most successful things I have done in my life.

Before, I literally went crazy metaphorically speaking when I had to find out about dinosaur news. Thanks to this website I have found an extraordinary forum and people who are my best friends and who are my second family. Fortunately I found this forum and thanks to it I have been able to find dinosaurs that I would have been totally unable to find in the traditional online market.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.