News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Struthiomimus height?

Started by Mr. P, November 28, 2015, 02:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. P

Does anybody have multiple Struthiomimus'?  I set my 3 up today and noticed that one of them was taller then the other two.  The legs are fixed and appear to be in the same location.  The difference appears to be in the length of the neck.  One being about a half inch longer then the other two.  Just wondered if ne one else noticed this.

XIkonX

Quote from: Mr. P on November 28, 2015, 02:34:18 AM
Does anybody have multiple Struthiomimus'?  I set my 3 up today and noticed that one of them was taller then the other two.  The legs are fixed and appear to be in the same location.  The difference appears to be in the length of the neck.  One being about a half inch longer then the other two.  Just wondered if ne one else noticed this.

I'll check mine. That would be interesting. Possibly ones Dino-riders and one is smithsonian. Seems like an odd change to make but maybe.

amargasaurus cazaui

If you go back in the collecta thread to where they introduced their new model images I questioned the length of the neck of that toy already...it looks rather truncated compared to most reconstructions I see of the dinosaur
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Dinoguy2

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 16, 2015, 11:03:25 PM
If you go back in the collecta thread to where they introduced their new model images I questioned the length of the neck of that toy already...it looks rather truncated compared to most reconstructions I see of the dinosaur

The Collecta one looks about right to me. Many reconstructions make the neck too long, probably based on this specimen where the back is arched making some of the dorsal vests look like cervicals.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Struthiomimus_skeleton_jconway.jpg
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Blade-of-the-Moon

Heavy feathering can also make it look shorter.  Something I ran into making mine.

Rain

I think Mr P. was referring to the length of the Dino Riders Struthiomimus' neck guys. Not Struthiomimus necks in general

Halichoeres

Quote from: Rain on December 19, 2015, 06:21:04 PM
I think Mr P. was referring to the length of the Dino Riders Struthiomimus' neck guys. Not Struthiomimus necks in general

Yeah, that took me a second to figure out. Not completely obvious from the thread itself, but once you see the board that it's posted in, it's pretty clear.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Mr. P

Sorry guys I wasn't clear enuf.  I was referring to the Tyco line of dinos, the Dino Rider Struthiomimus.  I have 2 that match nearly identical, and one that i varies in neck length, head size, and also the way the head is looking.  As  XIkonX stated earlier in the post, 2 are true Dino-Riders and one maybe a smithsonian that somebody put the armor on and I bought as a Dino Rider???   

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ah, I only have Dino Rider versions so nothing to compare really.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Mr. P on December 19, 2015, 11:58:38 PM
Sorry guys I wasn't clear enuf.  I was referring to the Tyco line of dinos, the Dino Rider Struthiomimus.  I have 2 that match nearly identical, and one that i varies in neck length, head size, and also the way the head is looking.  As  XIkonX stated earlier in the post, 2 are true Dino-Riders and one maybe a smithsonian that somebody put the armor on and I bought as a Dino Rider???

I remember a while back somebody finding two Papo Brachiosaurus figures, one of which was an inch or two shorter. After a few minutes with a hair dryer, he straightened the neck on the short one, and they were actually the same--just one had a slightly droopy neck. I know Dino Riders are a harder plastic, but any chance that in 30 years the neck got a little warped?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.