News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Invertebrates

Started by Bokisaurus, February 08, 2016, 08:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Well, it has been a while since I made a new thread here!
So, looking back, I had noticed that there is no specific thread for those lovely prehistoric invertebrates yet ;D They are, after all, some of the most diverse animals and very fascinating group that kept some of our beloved marine reptiles company ;)
Looking at my collection, there are not a whole lot of them around, so I wanted to see what other figures are out there. Share your collection, if you have any questions, ask. Some of these figures has been in my collection for a long time now, that some I don't even know who made them ^-^
So, lets see those lovely trilobites, ammonites and friends!
The group from ROM- still one of my favorite set!

A group of Trilobite from Malcolm ( Faunal Cast) that I got years ago - lovely set!

Safari Toob set

Bullyland and some Kaiyodo

And some mix collection :)
[

Cheers!

RobinGoodfellow

That's what I got:

Jetoar

My little Aegirocassis should be in this thread  ^-^.

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Bokisaurus on February 08, 2016, 08:25:16 PM
Well, it has been a while since I made a new thread here!
So, looking back, I had noticed that there is no specific thread for those lovely prehistoric invertebrates yet ;D They are, after all, some of the most diverse animals and very fascinating group that kept some of our beloved marine reptiles company ;)
Looking at my collection, there are not a whole lot of them around, so I wanted to see what other figures are out there. Share your collection, if you have any questions, ask. Some of these figures has been in my collection for a long time now, that some I don't even know who made them ^-^
So, lets see those lovely trilobites, ammonites and friends!
The group from ROM- still one of my favorite set!

And some mix collection :)

Cheers!

Great pictures and collection.
I have a question for you: what species is it?  Polyptychoceras ? Who made that figure ? Thanks  :)

stargatedalek

I'm mostly guessing but the texture looks like a shapeways print to me.

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 09, 2016, 03:32:49 PM
I'm mostly guessing but the texture looks like a shapeways print to me.

It is indeed a Shapeways figure. The creator has made a lot of different ones since this one, which is  Heteroceras.

The whole range that is available can be seen here: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/erics_studio?section=Ammonites&s=0

Halichoeres

Wow, surprising that there wasn't a thread for inverts before! That is a pretty major omission. The only one I have that hasn't been shown is this Haikouella, which almost doesn't count:

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 09, 2016, 08:56:36 PM
Wow, surprising that there wasn't a thread for inverts before! That is a pretty major omission. The only one I have that hasn't been shown is this Haikouella, which almost doesn't count:
[...]

A pretty rare and pricely figure I guess. But... it is a vertebrate I think.

I love all this kind of figures. Does anyone have the miracle planet kimberella?
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

SBell

Quote from: Megalosaurus on February 10, 2016, 01:01:48 AM
[...]

I love all this kind of figures. Does anyone have the miracle planet kimberella?

Well, chordate. Something like that.

And I do have the Kimberella:

And the Charniodiscus!

(Man, I need to revisit my photos and redo a bunch of them...)

Mamasaurus

I don't have anything to contribute, but I just wanted to comment on how beautiful so many of these figures are. Quite the inspiring representations of these animals. So many illustrations of these creatures highlight how alien or almost monstrous they are, but many of these figures show that they are unique and beautiful animals. It's a real shame they get so little attention, as far as prehistoric creatures are concerned.

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Halichoeres

[...]

Well, it doesn't have a cranium or a proper backbone, so just baaaaarely not a vertebrate :)

Quote from: Mamasaurus on February 10, 2016, 02:34:07 AM
I don't have anything to contribute, but I just wanted to comment on how beautiful so many of these figures are. Quite the inspiring representations of these animals. So many illustrations of these creatures highlight how alien or almost monstrous they are, but many of these figures show that they are unique and beautiful animals. It's a real shame they get so little attention, as far as prehistoric creatures are concerned.

Completely right. I complain about there not being enough fish figures, but invertebrates have it even worse.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 10, 2016, 03:14:34 AM
[...]

Well, it doesn't have a cranium or a proper backbone, so just baaaaarely not a vertebrate :)

Completely right. I complain about there not being enough fish figures, but invertebrates have it even worse.

It just makes it easier to collect them all! Look how fast someone can gather every eurypterid figure!

Speaking of which, thanks to Imaginext (in their c. 2000-2008 great time for dino accessories!)

And a small Imaginext trilobite and horseshoe crab (can't prove it's not a fossil species!)

Megalosaurus

Quote from: SBell on February 10, 2016, 01:58:57 AM
[...]
And I do have the Kimberella:
[...]

And the Charniodiscus!
[...]

I envy you  :o

Yes mamasaurus, its a shame. But its all about money, I've never heard a child saying "Dad, buy me a trilobite". And I don't see a lot of people buying the Safari cambian toob.

I started collecting Kaiyodo Dinotales not for the dinosaurs, but for the paleozoic figures. I have a lot of trilobites, opabinias, ammonites, etc.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

stargatedalek

I didn't know Imaginext made a horseshoe crab! I used to have nearly every one of those sets but I only kept the accessory creatures.

Halichoeres

I don't suppose anyone knows a reference site for the Imaginext accessory critters.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 10, 2016, 09:19:17 PM
I don't suppose anyone knows a reference site for the Imaginext accessory critters.

They were pretty random. I have a couple Eohippus and a strange, early reptile (Araeoscelis? They don't come with labels). Some of the accessories were a little bigger; we had a giant sloth and Archaeopteryx.

Some of the modern sets were okay, too--I remember a cool moray that came with some sort of marine king set. But I've never seen a useful list.

It does remind me though--there should be at least a couple from Playmobil. I think we have a scorpion fly from the most recent prehistoric sets, for example.

stargatedalek

There was also a giant dragonfly (reused from a princess set though), as well as fossils of an ammonite, trilobite, and aforementioned dragonfly.

Flaffy

The aegirocassis is a very interesting and beautiful model  :)) :) ^-^

crankydinosaur

The Imaginext Sea Scorpion (If I remember correctly from what Sean Bell told me a long time ago) is a Megalograptus! Does anyone know (or have pictures of) these "fossil" Imaginext creatures? I know in Imaginext there is also a nautilus and a really great looking brittle star.

Also don't forget Playmobil has some prehistoric invertebrates too!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: