News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel applies for Dino-Riders trademark

Started by CityRaptor, December 01, 2015, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Takama

How much you want to bet that they make new toys that are akin to the AWESOME BRO comunity.

SpartanSquat

I hope they will have the same quality as the tyco ones. The Kentrosaurus was in my favourites

Takama

I just hope they re release all of the old models.

pylraster

Best news I've heard this month... if it would really be true. I hope so!

Blade-of-the-Moon

If we do get Dino Riders toys in the same style as the old ones the price will probably be twice as much.

More than likely it will be closer to the Hasbro JW stuff...but then it also depends on what the tie-in film is like. Live action or animated.

Digibasherx

I would imagine they would be quite a bit, since the size of the tyco dinos are extremely large compared to toys today.  I would also imagine they'd sell for quite a bit.  The smaller ones would probably go for 19.99, Styraco and Monos class will be 29.99, Trike and Toro probably in the 49.99 range and a Bronto would be in the hundreds.  They probably also won't use the motors, and use the Smithsonian molds.

AcroSauroTaurus

However I heard that one of the rasons Mattel wanted to do this is because the wanted to show Hasbro "how to make good dinosaurs" So I have hope they will do it justice. ;D
I am the Dinosaur King!

Digibasherx

Hard to beat the Jurassic Park Dino Showdown toys. I hope Mattel steps up their game and bring out some awesome dino-riders.

CityRaptor

Now if only those had been wider available and all 4 were released.

So any news regarding Dino Riders?
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

surprised there was no mention at toyfair

SBell

Quote from: Digibasherx on March 13, 2016, 03:22:47 AM
I would imagine they would be quite a bit, since the size of the tyco dinos are extremely large compared to toys today.  I would also imagine they'd sell for quite a bit.  The smaller ones would probably go for 19.99, Styraco and Monos class will be 29.99, Trike and Toro probably in the 49.99 range and a Bronto would be in the hundreds.  They probably also won't use the motors, and use the Smithsonian molds.

Technically, if they are only applying for the Trademark, it doesn't mean they will be reusing the original models. It just means that they are using the name.

More likely, it will be a gritty reboot using the same idea of handsome white humans 'gently' controlling dinosaurs and evil ugly aliens 'enslaving' dinosaurs (more than likely, the humans will be more diverse this time).

It is also probable that the dinos will be resculpts--hopefully, to be more modern. Worst case scenario--they will be resculpted in a way where the word 'dino' is loosely translated to 'reptilian monster thing'. And the line will be produced to keep costs more in line with what other lines would cost now.

CityRaptor

Don't be silly, the Valorians were not all caucasian human aliens. They had Tagg. ;D

Hmm, if I think about it, they only ever had one woman ( two in the toyline, but the other is a repaint ) , one non-caucasian guy, but two handicapped guys...

I think that it would be more likely that those are gonna be new sculpts. A resculpt is a modified existing sculpt.
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

What can you say..it was the 80's and a boy's toyline to boot. heh

As long as we don't get this :

Mattel may be trying to beat JP5/JW2 to the militarized dinosaur punch as well as stop companies like Fisher Price from making a buck off similar concepts.

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 14, 2016, 02:12:42 PM
Don't be silly, the Valorians were not all caucasian human aliens. They had Tagg. ;D
Hmm, if I think about it, they only ever had one woman ( two in the toyline, but the other is a repaint ) , one non-caucasian guy, but two handicapped guys...

I think that it would be more likely that those are gonna be new sculpts. A resculpt is a modified existing sculpt.

I wasn't familiar enough to realize that there was diversity! I would think that will change this time around.

And yeah, new sculpts, not resculpt. Most likely a complete reboot somehow. Probably beat Jurassic park/World to the 'hybrid beasts warrior' things--how else would hammerheads, lizards and insects become (evil) humanoids?

Digibasherx

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 14, 2016, 02:12:42 PM

Wasn't Shado with the Dimetrodon kinda supposed to be Asian?

CityRaptor

Kind hard to tell. He does not look too Asian, or whatever the Valorian counterpart of Asian is....
Oh no

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.